PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer crashing since windows 8.1 update

lynnangela
18-12-2013, 20:05
This has been doing my head in, internet explorer crashes on google search page. I thought it was connected to updating my virus protection, but I found out today it was due to upgrading to windows 8.1 and not updating the Nvidia graphics driver. So if its happening to anyone else and you have Nvidia graphics you need to update your graphics drivers as well.

IE no longer crashes since I updated the drivers too.

slodgedad
18-12-2013, 23:37
I don't know anyone who still uses IE. (Present company excepted)

lynnangela
18-12-2013, 23:50
I could never really understand why people dislike IE so much, I don't like the look of chrome so I don't use that, and Ive had have issues getting credit card payments through on chrome so I had to revert to IE. I use firefox occasionally if I want to capture video, but I really like IE and that's my preferred browser. Nobody has ever really given me a good enough reason to not use it.

Now windows 8 is a whole different matter, I hate it and if it wasn't for the fact that my laptop boots up on a weird config of 3 raid configured ssd hard drives I would wipe the operating system and install windows 7.

19-12-2013, 00:26
I use different browsers for different things, IE, only when forced, Firefox for everything else apart from Facebook where I use Chrome.

You are not restricted to only one browser. I sometimes have 3 different ones running at the same time in different windows.

This may be old news to most but interesting to some.

slodgedad
19-12-2013, 00:51
If you are ha vingprobs with the IE update and it is our browser of choice (God knows why) then use System Restore to go back to before the update.

slodgedad
19-12-2013, 01:06
Sorry, having problems editting my post. Should have read;
If you are having probs with the IE update and it is your browser of choice (God knows why) then use System Restore to go back to before the update.

Hannah01
03-01-2014, 15:04
Stop using IE my friend. There are some very good alternate browser that you can use. The top 2 browsers for me are the Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

9PLUS
03-01-2014, 16:05
IE Crashes for one reason and one reason only

cus it's shyte

Use Firefox or Chrome

x

lynnangela
03-01-2014, 22:46
No one has ever given me a good actual reason not to use IE, claiming its shyte doesn't count, I need actual reproduceable examples, not hearsay or opinion.

9PLUS
04-01-2014, 07:52
No one has ever given me a good actual reason not to use IE, claiming its shyte doesn't count, I need actual reproduceable examples, not hearsay or opinion.

There's a Million reasons why IE is shyte, The core program is 5 generations old,It could be your anti virus, it can't process some add-ons very efficiently one of the main reasons for crashing, it's slow, it crashes a lot unlike Firefox, etc etc etc

I've found this for you

Use the usual methods to identify the third-party software that produces your problem:

1. run IE in "No Add-Ons" mode
2. disable third-party extensions in Internet Options/Advanced
3. boot Windows in safe mode (with networking)

If any or a combination of the above solves your problem there is third-party software responsible for your problem. Note: you have to surf in each step long enough to identify if the problem persists or not and keep that functionality switched off when you change to the next step. Just booting into safe mode and then back to normal won't achieve anything.

If 1.: use Add-Ons-Manager and disable all non-Microsoft add-ons and reenable them step-by-step until your problem comes back

If 2.: that's likely a toolbar or some other installable add-on

If 3.: that's likely a third-party software run from startup that can but doesn't need to have "visible" connections to IE, for instance a so-called desktop search.

Go thru *all* steps! Don't tell us "I don't have any add-ons". You sure have!

lynnangela
04-01-2014, 14:44
Thank you 9plus that's a bit more like it :) ...... but apart from the recent issue where I had to update my graphic drivers to coincide with 8.1 I don't usually have any issues with IE, it has always worked well for me.

9PLUS
04-01-2014, 15:27
€20 thanks

X

Malteser Monkey
04-01-2014, 15:37
€20 thanks

X

time & a half ...........Saturday

LUCKY
04-01-2014, 15:49
time & a half ...........Saturday
It was after 12 o clock so should it not be double time, My goodness some people have moved on since the 60's:flatcap:

lynnangela
04-01-2014, 16:09
ok lets call it €50 with a tip, cheers

LUCKY
04-01-2014, 16:11
ok lets call it €50 with a tip, cheers

Is that including call out charge ?:flatcap:

lynnangela
04-01-2014, 16:34
Is that including call out charge ?:flatcap:

Good point Lucky, and its bank holiday weekend as well, hmmmm better say €500 to be on the safe side. Do you think that will cover it?

BobMac
06-01-2014, 17:02

Run this websearch (https://www.google.co.uk/#q=why+you+shouldn't+use+Internet+explorer) in Google - it returns about 22,400,000 results which detail the various reasons why it's better not to use Internet Explorer.

lynnangela
06-01-2014, 19:29
Interesting, 22.4 million reasons not to use internet explorer. That's hard to disagree with, except if you google reasons why you SHOULD use IE you get 164 million results lol

tenerental
10-02-2014, 17:32
Sorry, having problems editting my post. Should have read;
If you are having probs with the IE update and it is your browser of choice (God knows why) then use System Restore to go back to before the update.

If Carlsberg gave bad advice, this would be it. System Restore is a tool to be used as a VERY last resort. If anyone installs a later version of IE and has problems, then uninstall it and go back to the previous version. Earlier comments seem to be confusing Windows and IE which are independent, IE11 is the latest version, uninstall to go back to IE10.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Stop using IE my friend. There are some very good alternate browser that you can use. The top 2 browsers for me are the Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Each to their own of course. Firefox, otherwise very good, is slow starting and always checking plug-ins, some of which are very handy. Chrome is fast, if you don't mind google recording everything about your browsing habits. Shouldn't have called it Chrome, should have called it doubleclick.