PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat How can I deter cats from visiting our garden?

warbey
30-12-2013, 20:24
I have a problem with an Infestation of Cats.

I am fond of Them, but not fond of lots using Our Garden as A Toilet, Bird Hunting and general relaxation point.

Has Anyone found a NON-Harmful way to discourage Them.

At present there seems to be a Dozen or even more visiting us. ( and No, I don't want a Dog, etc etc, thanks)

JaBBa
30-12-2013, 20:32
Cat deterrents

Surround an area with a fence (chicken wire etc) that leans in the direction from which the cat will approach. The cat is unable to climb over such an angled fence.

Flimsy plastic roll-up fencing placed on top of a fence etc to prevent cats climbing over it.

Taut wire or string fitted 10-15 cm above the fence-top makes it difficult for cats to balance on the fence.

Place half-full plastic bottles in borders. This is an old gamekeeper's trick - the light reflection is supposed to deter.

Mailshot and other unwanted CDs can be threaded on twine with knots in between to keep them apart. String these across flower beds or hang from trees. The light reflections deter.

Spiked tree collar to prevent climbing up a tree.

Downward-opening cone or a biscuit tin fixed to the pole below the bird table to prevent cat climbing up it. Vaseline or other grease on a smooth pole will also help.

Placing clippings from thorny or spiky plants under bird feeders and under bushes will prevent cats from using these areas to stalk birds.

There is a new garden plant, Coleus canina, on the market. It is marketed under the names Pee-off and Scaredy-cat. This plant has a pungent odour that is said to repel cats and other mammals from the garden. It should be available from a number of garden suppliers.

Scent deterrents will either serve to repel (eg. Citronella) or mark a territory (eg. Silent Roar). Alternatively, try orange or lemon peel, since cats are not keen on the smell of citrus.

Bucket or water pistol full of water will help to chase a cat out of the garden. There is an automated option, the scarecrow, which is attached to a hosepipe, and will deliver a water jet when activated by a motion detector, but be aware that water freezing in the pipes can damage the gadget.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Also found this.....

http://www.antifreezekills.co.uk/3.html

Addick
30-12-2013, 21:03
Lion manure.

atlantico
31-12-2013, 10:43
Silent Roar is Lion pooh . . . . comes in dry pellets, not sloppy lumps ! Lol

canarybird
31-12-2013, 11:49
My brother lives on a lake in Canada and is visited at certain times of the year by hordes of Canada Geese who leave large lumps of dung all over his lawn and wharf.

He's had success with one of those motion sensor sprinklers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-ScareCrow-Outdoor-Animal-Deterrent/dp/B000071NUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388486864&sr=8-2&keywords=Contech+CRO101+Scarecrow+Motion+Activated +Sprinkler+by+Contech)that goes off as soon as they arrive and move around.

They go away immediately, so it should work for cats too.

Hey Jude
31-12-2013, 14:49
Try some good oldfashioned moth balls!

warbey
01-01-2014, 20:51

Thanks for the Suggestions. I put a Wire above the top of a Fence, with a nice shiny D.V.D. on it..
They seem to just ignore it..

The Water Pistol works, but I can't always fire at Them before Theyre gone..

Not sure about the Plastic Bottles. They become Missiles in the wrong hands

essexeddie
01-01-2014, 22:00
I don't think plastic bottles work and they look messy.
The bendy fence sounds good though.

canarybird
01-01-2014, 22:54
Mothballs are dangerously toxic to cats if they touch them and then lick their fur.

SueB
04-01-2014, 21:09
It works for deer too - which love eating my roses in my New Forest garden.
It does keep next doors cats away from the veg patch too!

warbey
17-01-2014, 20:56
but its part of their nature

Yes We all know that..

haggiscbrsix
18-01-2014, 01:07
Broken egg shells and old cds dvds on string like wind chimes. Dont use fishing line as birds can get tangled easy.

carpenter
26-01-2014, 14:40
heard used tea bags can work as a deterrent, getting your own cat works a treat but i assume that getting a cat is classed as not wanting a dog etc in the op.
There's a ultrasonic deterrent but the human ear can still hear the beeping it makes.

if i were you i'd get some old fish scraps and throw them over your neighbours fence and see what they do to get rid of their cat problem

Stoney
26-01-2014, 20:08
cats don't like pepper just scatter some on the dry soil, but you must keep doing it as it blows away.

warbey
26-01-2014, 21:09
cats don't like pepper just scatter some on the dry soil, but you must keep doing it as it blows away.

There is no dry Soil in the U.K.!, but Yes It's worth a try..Thanks..

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

heard used tea bags can work as a deterrent, getting your own cat works a treat but i assume that getting a cat is classed as not wanting a dog etc in the op.
There's a ultrasonic deterrent but the human ear can still hear the beeping it makes.

if i were you i'd get some old fish scraps and throw them over your neighbours fence and see what they do to get rid of their cat problem

Nice to see Your Name again. Thanks for the Family info, and thanks

as We can always find some used Tea Bags..

macdonald5
26-01-2014, 21:13
There is no dry Soil in the U.K.!, but Yes It's worth a try..Thanks..

My husband used the ultrasonic machines very successfully for many years when growing show plants in our garden
We barely noticed the slight beep sound but saw cats crawl along top of fence at speed to avoid the sound and stay away from prized plants