PDA

View Full Version : Other The World cruise ship docs in Los Cristianos

primrose
02-01-2014, 14:00
What a fantastic sight in Los Cristianos Harbour. THE WORLD Cruise ship,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_The_World

Malteser Monkey
02-01-2014, 14:14
Blimey it looks bigger than Los Cris itself :crazy:

It's humoungous !

primrose
02-01-2014, 14:48
Blimey it looks bigger than Los Cris itself :crazy:

It's humoungous !

It is, I don't know where they were going when they went into Los Cris but they certainly weren't dressed for the 1 Euro a pint bars.If you have $13,500,000 to spare you can buy an Apartment and spend your life sailing round the World.

Malteser Monkey
02-01-2014, 15:00
It is, I don't know where they were going when they went into Los Cris but they certainly weren't dressed for the 1 Euro a pint bars.If you have $13,500,000 to spare you can buy an Apartment and spend your life sailing round the World.

Looking for doreen 's posh place:respect:

junglejim
02-01-2014, 15:25
http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2014/01/barco-millonarios-realiza-su-primer-fondeo-en-puerto-cristianos/?utm_content=buffer11db5&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

primrose
02-01-2014, 15:33
Well sad to say, but they obviously haven't spent much money as they are returning to the Ship already, but it is Siesta and a lot of the shops close at 2 o'clock. It's the same when you go to Santa Cruz you watch them all making their way back to the Cruise Ships at 2, so much money lost to an economy that desperately needs it.

junglejim
02-01-2014, 16:05
Did the Pickpockets follow them around Town ?

primrose
02-01-2014, 16:16
Did the Pickpockets follow them around Town ?

If you have $13,500,000 spare cash to spend on a Cabin wouldn't imagine you would carry cash.

LUCKY
02-01-2014, 16:39
If you have $13,500,000 spare cash to spend on a Cabin wouldn't imagine you would carry cash.

No and i don't carry cash , i am from Lower GDS:flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
02-01-2014, 16:45
Would you if you were from Upper GDS:cheeky:

primrose
02-01-2014, 16:51
Where on earth has upper and lower GDS come from, when I lived there it was just GDS.:flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
02-01-2014, 16:56
No idea when I worked there there was just GDS, it's just Lucky

primrose
02-01-2014, 16:58
No idea when I worked there there was just GDS, it's just Lucky

It's the flat cap that's lowered the tone.

Malteser Monkey
02-01-2014, 16:59
It's the flat cap that's lowered the tone.

yes the :feret::feret::feret::feret: are in Upper GDS:lol:

LUCKY
02-01-2014, 17:09
Where on earth has upper and lower GDS come from, when I lived there it was just GDS.:flatcap:

Not any longer. Its definitely Lower GDS. Not seen one Rose Covered Cottage, No where near as posh as the tiny hamlet by the church, pub , Post office ,The forest and the lake in Yorkshire.:flatcap::feret::feret::feret:

junglejim
02-01-2014, 17:45

So they don't tip then ? That's why they are millionares maybe?

LUCKY
02-01-2014, 22:39
Would you if you were from Upper GDS:cheeky:

No but i may let the other half push the shopping trolley round Lidl:flatcap:

primrose
02-01-2014, 23:10
It looks lovely all lit up,it has stopped off in the Canary Islands on it's way to South America. As nice as it looks there is no way I could live on a ship like that just sailing around the World.

JPTenerife
03-01-2014, 08:53
It's like one big hearse isn't it. Most of the occupants knocking on heaven's door.
The only difference is that nobody knows which country they'll die in. Lucky dip.:D

That aside, it's a pretty small ship, the ones I worked on were on average 120,000 - 140,000 tons payload. 2 1/2 x the size of this one.

Bad thing is, in that environment, when one person catches a cold or virus, it spreads rapidly because the space is confined. Even worse when the passengers are elderly for the most part so it's a constant battle sanitising everything on a regular basis and making sure people are isolated when sick.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

So they don't tip then ? That's why they are millionares maybe?

Nearly all ships use charge cards for purchases and cash is only used when ashore.
It's a good set up because is eliminates theft of monies and tips are normally marked as gratuity at a percentage of the purchase, usually on drinks but in this ships case, it's likely to be different seeing as they are 'residents'.

Stock can sometimes go astray but at the prices companies purchase food and drinks, the loss is negligible.
I remember it used to cost us 50 American cents for a bottle of Vodka when we purchased in bulk so the profit margins were fantastic. :D

Just to add, the vodka was Stolichnaya, so not a cheap brand.

Malteser Monkey
03-01-2014, 09:52
It's like one big hearse isn't it. Most of the occupants knocking on heaven's door.

Flippin' eck - let's look on the bright side eh:crazy:

LUCKY
03-01-2014, 12:26
Flippin' eck - let's look on the bright side eh:crazy:

Quote Originally Posted by JPTenerife View Post

Great so if they are knocking on heavens door
It means they won't be invading Lower GDS:flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
03-01-2014, 12:30
knocking on heaven's door ....Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey:D

essexeddie
03-01-2014, 19:22
Must of been big cabins as there was only 200 passengers.
The last Cruise I went on had almost 2000 passengers, Royal Caribbean with 1000 crew members

primrose
03-01-2014, 19:24
Must of been big cabins as there was only 200 passengers.
The last Cruise I went on had almost 2000 passengers, Royal Caribbean with 1000 crew members

They range from studios to six bedroom pent house.Just getting ready to sail.

warbey
03-01-2014, 20:31

It's a sort of Timeshare-on-Sea innit.?

tfs1
03-01-2014, 20:41
it seems to be like a floating apartment block. Most of the studios/apartments have kitchens and there is a grocery store and deli on board !

warbey
03-01-2014, 20:45
it seems to be like a floating apartment block. Most of the studios/apartments have kitchens and there is a grocery store and deli on board !

I could just afford a Week in Dry Dock then...;);):D

primrose
03-01-2014, 20:45

It's a sort of Timeshare-on-Sea innit.?

Sort of but the owners of the apartments actually own the ship, it's not owned by a Cruise line, they have a President and Committee that run it.
46 different Nationalities own the apartments. Some of the Presidents of Complexes in Tenerife are bad enough, can you imagine having to live with a jumped up little **** on a Ship with no escape.

I could just afford a Week in Dry Dock then...;);):D

Wow, are you that loaded a week at $3000 a night and that's just for a studio.

tfs1
03-01-2014, 20:50
Wow, are you that loaded a week at $3000 a night and that's just for a studio

but for that they throw in free internet access

warbey
03-01-2014, 20:52
Not My cup of Tea primrose.

Imagine wanting to go one way and being outvoted.

Ive had a Cruise with a Royal Carribean Ship, bigger Faster gourmet Meals etc.

Fed up after a Week... except for the Locations We visited.

primrose
03-01-2014, 20:52
but for that they throw in free internet access

If I'd known that I would have put a deposit down, too late now it's just gone.

Not My cup of Tea primrose.

Imagine wanting to go one way and being outvoted.

Ive had a Cruise with a Royal Carribean Ship, bigger Faster gourmet Meals etc.

Fed up after a Week... except for the Locations We visited.

I cannot imagine anything worse than being stuck on that for ever,there are some that use it as their home. I don't suppose they are the type that like to slob around in their PJ'S all day occasionally, so not for me.

LUCKY
03-01-2014, 21:38
If I'd known that I would have put a deposit down, too late now it's just gone.

I cannot imagine anything worse than being stuck on that for ever,there are some that use it as their home. I don't suppose they are the type that like to slob around in their PJ'S all day occasionally, so not for me.

But i would not be stuck on it forever , As i have a bungalow at Lower GDS:flatcap:

warbey
03-01-2014, 21:40
But i would not be stuck on it forever , As i have a bungalow at Lower GDS:flatcap:

So You have been overlooked.....:devil2: :flatcap::flatcap::flatcap: :D:D

LUCKY
03-01-2014, 21:43
So You have been overlooked.....:devil2: :flatcap::flatcap::flatcap: :D:D

Overlooked you say,,,,, I would not want to stay in a tower block . That resembled Essex:flatcap:

warbey
03-01-2014, 21:46
Overlooked you say,,,,, I would not want to stay in a tower block . That resembled Essex:flatcap:

Play on words.

Lower and Upper.....

Bungalow in lower is lower still.... .... hic...

primrose
03-01-2014, 21:53
Play on words.

Lower and Upper.....

It's changed it's mind, it hasn't gone.

LUCKY
03-01-2014, 22:06
Play on words.

Lower and Upper.....

And what makes you think i didnt know that. :flatcap:

And i keep wondering whether Primrose as any Scratchcards left , for The World.:flatcap:

primrose
03-01-2014, 22:14
And what makes you think i didnt know that. :flatcap:

And i keep wondering whether Primrose as any Scratchcards left , for The World.:flatcap:

Yeh but unfortunately I can't find LOWER GDS.:flatcap:

LUCKY
03-01-2014, 22:29

I am not surprised , we are down here in steerage class:flatcap::sailor::feret::feret:

ps when i said Steerage class ,

i did not mean to type the word Class

tfs1
03-01-2014, 23:06
It's changed it's mind, it hasn't gone.

I thought it was leaving Sunday evening so they had time to have a good look around the Sunday Market and pick up some bargains.

marbro8
03-01-2014, 23:17
It looks lovely all lit up,it has stopped off in the Canary Islands on it's way to South America. As nice as it looks there is no way I could live on a ship like that just sailing around the World.neither would i, but i would like to be in a position to afford to:lol:

LUCKY
03-01-2014, 23:21
neither would i, but i would like to be in a position to afford to:lol:

Neither would i cos i would never make it back to the Rose covered cottage in the tiny hamlet by the forest and the lake in yorkshire because it is landlocked:flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
04-01-2014, 12:21

:lol::lol:

LUCKY
04-01-2014, 15:56

Don't even look for it, You would have to drag me away screaming, somebody described the ship as Waiting for Godo.
And there is a saying "Its a strange World you are Lucky to get out of it alive":flatcap:

:lol::lol:
:flatcap::flatcap:

primrose
04-01-2014, 16:27
Don't even look for it, You would have to drag me away screaming, somebody described the ship as Waiting for Godo.
And there is a saying "Its a strange World you are Lucky to get out of it alive":flatcap:

:flatcap::flatcap:

That's just how I felt when I went to Mercadona this morning, didn't think I would get out alive thought we would be crushed to death.Chaos.Bet them on the World don't do their own shopping.Are there any shops on LOWERGDS?

LUCKY
04-01-2014, 22:40
That's just how I felt when I went to Mercadona this morning, didn't think I would get out alive thought we would be crushed to death.Chaos.Bet them on the World don't do their own shopping.Are there any shops on LOWERGDS?

YES YES YES we used to have a spar shop years ago , a while ago perhaps a few years ago they tried to go upmarket i think they are struggling in this economic crisis , Even though the sign now reads Betterbuys. :flatcap:But they do advertise Trips around the island, ( Not trips around THE WORLD):flatcap:

Margaretta
05-01-2014, 22:16
Well. I couldn't live without a garden and I certainly wouldn't live on a ship; sick on the Woolwich Ferry and very green standing on a docked boat in San Miguel Harbour.
I would much rather live in Upper or Lower GDS.:laugh:

primrose
05-01-2014, 23:04
Well. I couldn't live without a garden and I certainly wouldn't live on a ship; sick on the Woolwich Ferry and very green standing on a docked boat in San Miguel Harbour.
I would much rather live in Upper or Lower GDS.:laugh:

I lived in Middle GDS.::crazy:

imablue
06-01-2014, 00:14
I,ve driven past and through them without blinking an eye .......did or have i missed something ..

LUCKY
06-01-2014, 00:15
I lived in Middle GDS.::crazy:

:thanx:Very diplomatic. Sitting on the fence. :flatcap:

I,ve driven past and through them without blinking an eye .......did or have i missed something ..

Yes :flatcap:

imablue
06-01-2014, 00:23
Thought they were hedgehogs not ferrets ......sorry..
swerved the hedgehogs..:D

LUCKY
06-01-2014, 10:31
Thought they were hedgehogs not ferrets ......sorry..
swerved the hedgehogs..:D

Think you will find they were not hedgehogs but our collection of cacti !!! Here at Lower GDS:flatcap:

tfs1
22-03-2016, 13:12
The World cruise ship currently docked off Los Cristianos - probably here today to go to the local market !!!

Just seen one of the small transfer boats take some of the passengers back onto the boat - maybe of the move soon. The transfer boat, one of The Worlds tender boat, has a blue material covered top and is just going back to the ship again as I write.

The ship arrived from Gran Canaria at 0752 this morning - currently no info from the tracking system on it's departure or next port.

Unfortunately its just out of the webcam view.

bennoa1
22-03-2016, 14:40
The World cruise ship currently docked off Los Cristianos - probably here today to go to the local market !!!

Just seen one of the small transfer boats take some of the passengers back onto the boat - maybe of the move soon. The transfer boat, one of The Worlds tender boat, has a blue material covered top and is just going back to the ship again as I write.

The ship arrived from Gran Canaria at 0752 this morning - currently no info from the tracking system on it's departure or next port.

Unfortunately its just out of the webcam view.

Comes in for the €1 a pint deals. It was in LC about 2 years back.

tfs1
22-03-2016, 18:47
Comes in for the €1 a pint deals. It was in LC about 2 years back.

I remember that visit as well, now the pointed end is facing in the direction of La Gomera. Still no route forecast but someone says its making its way to Portugal.

Lissalyon
29-03-2016, 22:21
Saw it on the way to the airport. In fact got a fantastic photo from our balcony in the zentral center of another cruise ship off las Americas between the two high rises opposite.

Wish I could post it.

helena246
30-03-2016, 10:49
it would have been lovely to see this photo, I went on the internet to see the course of this ship, it is on its way to Europe for the summer, sounds wonderful, I see that they have a sales dept for these studio/1 bed/2 /3 bed suites they are available on a usa condominium style basis where you own part of the ship making decisions on future intineries and other issues as a shareowner.

willowlily
30-03-2016, 12:07
it would have been lovely to see this photo, I went on the internet to see the course of this ship, it is on its way to Europe for the summer, sounds wonderful, I see that they have a sales dept for these studio/1 bed/2 /3 bed suites they are available on a usa condominium style basis where you own part of the ship making decisions on future intineries and other issues as a shareowner.

I remember about 25-30 years ago this company was advertising in THE TIMES property section a chance to purchase your very own suite OFF PLAN, I was very interested as prices started from 125k for a 1 bed suite. THE WORLD SHIP as it was marketed would be 5 times larger than the one now in existence now, circumnavigating the world at 12 knots per hour, it would have streets of shops and restaurants where it would ferry people from shore to spend the day and shop in these duty free shops, this ship would stay at 12 miles being in international waters. one slight problem for me is at this point, they had yet to build a shipyard big enough, it was to have been in eastern Europe ( cannot remember exactly where ) I was wary of paying my deposit as it seemed a distant dream to own one of these suites. I see you can buy on this smaller version they built in the end but not sure of the price.
I would reckon it has many restrictions to ownership.
I was amused to learn it is now off Tenerife and would loved to have spent the day on this vessel but I fear the original plan was not viable.