PDA

View Full Version : Relocation We are relocating to Tenerife to open a barbers shop

billyfast
06-01-2014, 15:03
hi there this is new to me :tiphat: my wife and myself r looking to open new barbering shop in tenerife so need introduction to possible shop landlords as well as acc so o o many things to do lol we r over there 18 feb for our annual holiday can anybody bhelp

Leam_Lin
06-01-2014, 15:12
Welcome to the forum. Have you looked at the competiition?

mike in chayofa
06-01-2014, 15:22
.... need introduction to possible shop landlords as well as acc

You don't need an introduction to landlords. Wherever you want to open premises in Tenerife, a 5 minute walk in the chosen area will provide phone numbers for hundreds of empty shop units.

billyfast
06-01-2014, 15:34
thankyou for your reply another question please dose my payas u go mobile work to ring these landlords when we get theree in feb or wud we b better to try make appointments before hand

Malteser Monkey
06-01-2014, 15:50
thankyou for your reply another question please dose my payas u go mobile work to ring these landlords when we get theree in feb or wud we b better to try make appointments before hand

Think you'd better check with you mobile company first - everyone is different

languagefan
06-01-2014, 15:51
Hi and welcome in advance.
Finding a shop takes 2-3 days, too many options. However, the competition is back breaking and u need to do a thorough research before opting for a location.
Good luck.

9PLUS
06-01-2014, 16:02
Shops are starting to get snapping up again especially in the south.

billyfast
06-01-2014, 16:07
is that back breaking in general or r barbers shops plentyful

Tom & Sharon
06-01-2014, 16:38
Billy, welcome to the forum.

Whether or not your PAYG mobile will work in Tenerife will be the smallest of your worries. If you are as unfamiliar with the workings of Tenerife as you sound, the last thing you should be doing next month is ringing landlords asking can you rent their empty shop.

Please don't take that as an insult, it's intended to open your eyes to the way Tenerife (and all of Spain) works!
Do your research and ask your questions on here first.

Otherwise, you will be like a lamb to the slaughter!

languagefan
06-01-2014, 16:41
Both general, and barbers and hairdressers in particular (know from a couple of acquaintances).
Come over with a superb marketing plan, and do a v v thorough research beforehand.
Good luck

LUCKY
06-01-2014, 18:21

Think what you meant to say the shop price could be a Snip:hedge::flatcap:

primrose
06-01-2014, 18:24

Where?????

billyfast
06-01-2014, 19:38
thankyou 4 ur comments just starting to do research doesnt seem to be many barbers shops in los cris but perhaps not looking deep. are your acquaintances in the same line or are they approachable on the subject . any input would br great

JPTenerife
06-01-2014, 20:01
It's a tricky one this.
When you leave UK that means you've left UK and the language is likely to change if you're going to a non English speaking country.
In this case, you're going to a part of Spain and the language there is called Spanish.
If you're looking for a barber shop you should use the following word.... 'peluquería.'

Hope this helps. ;)

Rickiebear
06-01-2014, 21:10
Hi, we don't want to put you off, but don't want you to fail. We have all seen too many business fold within a year. Tenerife is a great place for a 2 week holiday. However to start a business in a foreign country is not going to be easy.

Are you going to cater for locals or holiday makers? If local why should I change, especially if the barber could not speak Spanish. Would you go to a barber in England, who could only speak Spanish. If I was on holiday, why would I need a hair cut.

What is going to be different about your service? Cheaper? How are you going to cover your costs. Tenerife has very high unemployment. Trips to barbers are going to reduce, not increase.

How much capital will you need to fit out a shop? Add to this at least 12 months rent. Very few new businesses make a profit in the first year, so you will also need 12 months living costs.

Do you know how much this is? Do you have this amount?

Please, please do your homework first. I suggest that this alone will take you 6 months or more. In the meantime enrol in some Spanish lessons.

billyfast
06-01-2014, 22:17
thankyou for your imput we r coming over in feb but only on scouting mission with a view to perhaps move early next year .spanish lessons r a must we would like to provide a service to both local and holiday makers but we do want to make it work so not jumping in both feet . the more people like yourself that we talk n listen to the better thankyou

9PLUS
06-01-2014, 22:23
Where?????

Have you seen all the new businesses in Los Cristianos opened over the last 3 months?

There currently 3 new shopping centres in construction in Tenerife south with interest for most of the locals.

primrose
06-01-2014, 22:32
Have you seen all the new businesses in Los Cristianos opened over the last 3 months?

There currently 3 new shopping centres in construction in Tenerife south with interest for most of the locals.

Have you seen all the businesses that have closed over the last 3 months?
There might be 3 new shopping centers under construction, but they can't find businesses to fill the ones that are already built.

billyfast
06-01-2014, 22:32
more than likely los cristianos but open to suggestions

9PLUS
06-01-2014, 22:59
Have you seen all the businesses that have closed over the last 3 months?
There might be 3 new shopping centers under construction, but they can't find businesses to fill the ones that are already built.

Move with the times, what locals has closed in Los Cristianos over the last 3 months?

primrose
06-01-2014, 23:05
Move with the times, what locals has closed in Los Cristianos over the last 3 months?

Our local bar which they have had for years.

9PLUS
06-01-2014, 23:24
One bar in Los Cristianos has closed in 3 months ?

if so thats better than boom times

bonitatime
10-01-2014, 16:42
S
Our local bar which they have had for years.
someone was saying 4 business have shut in Parque Santiago 3 already this year
Although Santa Cruz seem to turn over shop premises with new ones opening

sita1951
22-01-2014, 22:31
Would like to drive to tenerife from doncaster to have a 6 week holiday any help / advice please

9PLUS
31-01-2014, 10:15
Where?????

Official figures for Adeje

230 New businesses opened in 2013

31 traders closed.

primrose
31-01-2014, 10:23

31 traders closed.

And you really believe the official figures that are put out here?:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::rofl:They wouldn't know the truth if it came up behind them and bit them on the bum.

9PLUS
31-01-2014, 10:35
From Adeje yes

bulldog
31-01-2014, 10:50
before I opened my first business in Tenerife in 1987 I asked a knowledgable person who was already well
established here ,should I open a big business or a small business ? his reply was open a big business it,ll
soon become a small one....

doreen
31-01-2014, 10:56

31 traders closed.

And how many will have succeeded in getting their Opening Licence yet, I wonder. I recently heard that only 11% of all businesses in Adeje had actually got their paperwork fully sorted :(

I see the OP billyfast has not posted anything since that first day, Jan 6th. Are you still looking in, Billy ? Just saw on the Facebook page of one of our esteemed (but sadly absent) members, Loaded, that a new Hairdressers/Beauty Salon had opened in Paloma Beach and were offering a 10% discount.

If you are still reading Billy, please please do not enter into any arrangement with any landlord no matter how good the deal might be, until you have taken serious advice from a competent professional (not an estate agent) about running a business in Spain - the bureaucracy is just unbelievable and so different to anything you will have encountered in the UK.

9PLUS
31-01-2014, 11:44
Opening licenses are a totally seperate issue, when considering that 2013 was the start of the economic turn around.

You can run a legal bussiness without a OL.

billyfast
31-01-2014, 21:15
oh yes im still looking in just been very busy and wee bit down with british weather lol . we are very serious about the next chapter in our business we are fully committed to research all avenues with some professional help starting the 19th feb [ scouting mission ]

LUCKY
31-01-2014, 21:25
my hair is getting longer, will you be doing appointments
on line :flatcap: Way to go:hedge:

marbro8
31-01-2014, 21:34
my hair is getting longer, will you be doing appointments
on line :flatcap: Way to go:hedge:i always get what bit i have cut before i come on my hols:(

LUCKY
31-01-2014, 21:39
i always get what bit i have cut before i come on my hols:(

Yer great dunt grow long on yer hols. but i appear to have been exiled here, since last november.. also i was hoping for a cut so i could appear as a model in window. ie Free :flatcap:

slodgedad
31-01-2014, 22:16
Yer great dunt grow long on yer hols. but i appear to have been exiled here, since last november.. also i was hoping for a cut so i could appear as a model in window. ie Free :flatcap:
Did the ferret type this? ;)

primrose
31-01-2014, 22:46
Did the ferret type this? ;)

Either that or it's been Happy Hour on LGS.:flatcap:::trink:

marbro8
31-01-2014, 22:49
Either that or it's been Happy Hour on LGS.:flatcap:::trink:
don't knock it:wink2::flatcap:

primrose
31-01-2014, 22:53
don't knock it:wink2::flatcap:

Just jealous cause I am allergic to Alcohol.:cry:

marbro8
31-01-2014, 23:04
Just jealous cause I am allergic to Alcohol.:cry:no way:wow:, you poor soul, i really don't know what i would do if i was:(, well i do know lol i would probably end up in hospital every weekend:(, i have never known anyone that has been allergic to alcohol:(

Ecky Thump
31-01-2014, 23:39
no way:wow:, you poor soul, i really don't know what i would do if i was:(, well i do know lol i would probably end up in hospital every weekend:(, i have never known anyone that has been allergic to alcohol:(

I've got a Alcohol Alergy.......

My eyes water every time I have to buy it!:p

marbro8
01-02-2014, 00:37
I've got a Alcohol Alergy.......

My eyes water every time I have to buy it!:plmao you daft sod:lol:

LUCKY
01-02-2014, 10:07
Just jealous cause I am allergic to Alcohol.:cry:

I am not at these prices !!!!:flatcap:

Right back to the Barbers shop Thread:hedge:

Ecky Thump
21-02-2016, 13:29
A word of warning.....
Don't give yourself a DIY haircut, last night in the attempt to save my money for future holidays I used my newly acquired (@TOTO 99 & Angusjim this means bought! :D) Babyliss hair trimmers and gave myself a "Number Two", but unknowingly to me the No.2 guide fell off and I gave myself a remarkably clean bald centre line...I now look a proper t**t.:wow:

kingbaker
21-02-2016, 18:38
A word of warning.....
Don't give yourself a DIY haircut, last night in the attempt to save my money for future holidays I used my newly acquired (@TOTO 99 & Angusjim this means bought! :D) Babyliss hair trimmers and gave myself a "Number Two", but unknowingly to me the No.2 guide fell off and I gave myself a remarkably clean bald centre line...I now look a proper t**t.:wow:

No change there so!! :laugh::laugh:

Ecky Thump
22-02-2016, 00:27
No change there so!! :laugh::laugh:

Strangely enough that's what Carol said! :D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

you daft sod:lol:

I know, but unlike yours mine will grow back.