PDA

View Full Version : Other What paperwork is needed to get married in Tenerife?

casa calina
07-01-2014, 19:47
I have some friends who want to get married over here, does anyone know what paperwork they will need and who to see to sort it all out.

Thank you

Susief
07-01-2014, 19:53
I have some friends who want to get married over here, does anyone know what paperwork they will need and who to see to sort it all out.

Thank you

What about contacting Spanish Sue? She is excellent and knows most things about legalities.

deepdivejunkie
07-01-2014, 20:19
I got married here in Tenerife 5 years ago.
To cut a long story short, you will need:
Both birth certificates stamped with the Hague Apostille, then translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.
Passports
Residencias
Certificados de Empadronimientos
Countless trips to the Registro Civil in Los Cristianos
Issue of the banns by the British Consul
Plenty of time
Money... the paperwork cost more than the day itself

It took us 8 months from the start to the final day.

uptowngirl
08-01-2014, 00:30
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tenerife-Wedding-planners/558880947524504?fref=ts

fixer
08-01-2014, 15:57
I know 2 people who found it easier to go somewhere else to get married as it was easier and cheaper.

chifleta
08-01-2014, 21:41
;)

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?19210-Registro-Civil-doing-paperwork-to-get-married-in-Tenerife

bonitatime
10-01-2014, 16:24
I would go to Gibraltar unless you are very patient
Much easier only reason why not would be if your other half is Spanish

chifleta
10-01-2014, 23:04
I would go to Gibraltar unless you are very patient
Much easier only reason why not would be if your other half is Spanish

A German friend went to Gibraltar too... don't blame them, it was very long winded and expensive here... thank goodness they didn't charge us a fee to use the registry office, as some do over here...

bonitatime
11-01-2014, 09:59
A German friend went to Gibraltar too... don't blame them, it was very long winded and expensive here... thank goodness they didn't charge us a fee to use the registry office, as some do over here...

If one of you is Spanish you need to register the marriage anyway which is such a performance that you might as well get married here
I still haven't done mine although I will need to do it before I retire as that's really when we might need it

chifleta
11-01-2014, 10:17
If one of you is Spanish you need to register the marriage anyway which is such a performance that you might as well get married here
I still haven't done mine although I will need to do it before I retire as that's really when we might need it

Yup, my hubby is Spanish. Anyhoo,the family didn't actually believe we were going to do it after all those years, so we did it here so only half of them had to travel ;) it was definitely worth it in the end though... actually it was the only good day in 2013 lol.

canarybird
11-01-2014, 10:21
Just be aware that Spanish inheritance laws are not the same as British.
Distribution of assets and rights are different according to the country where you were married.
British laws allow one to designate freely to whom your assets can be left in case of death. Spanish laws do not.
Do check it out.

bonitatime
11-01-2014, 10:26
Just be aware that Spanish inheritance laws are not the same as British.
Distribution of assets and rights are different according to the country where you were married.
British laws allow one to designate freely to whom your assets can be left in case of death. Spanish laws do not.
Do check it out.

Not sure even if you marry here it means you have to have Spanish inheritance laws. If you are Spanish then that's for sure you are covered by it. Even if the marriage isn't registered here then I think my other half is covered. Won't be my problem anyway if I'm dead

Vesna
30-01-2014, 19:41
I got married 3 weeks ago, and while it does take time, I didn't find it that exhausting nor expensive. The most expensive were the translations of all our paperwork (we are both foreigners), costing about 50 eur for each of us. I still have a list of all paperwork needed from registro civil, if you want, PM me with your email address and I'll scan it and send it to you.

chifleta
30-01-2014, 20:29
Are you British Vesna? maybe it's just us Brits that get screwed for all the paperwork we need from the British Consulate!!

Vesna
30-01-2014, 21:51
Nope, but I'm from EU and my guess is, we mostly need the same paperwork - especially since in the list of needed paperwork there are 2 sections - spanish and foreigner. My hubby is not even European, it took as the longest to get his paperwork translated and legalized. As far as I know, you need only one paper from your consulate - certificado de publicacion de edictos.

chifleta
30-01-2014, 21:55
LOL ... I rest my case .... it's just us Brits that have to pay through the nose, you were lucky... it's cost quite a bit more for my paperwork:

http://www.british-consulate.org/marriage-abroad.html

Vesna
31-01-2014, 06:05
I guess the main difference is that you went through consulate to obtain your paperwork, I just did it on my last holiday to my home town. Consulates charge a looooooot for their work and take forever, at least in my experience.

deepdivejunkie
31-01-2014, 09:58
For Brits, the use of the Consulate is mandatory. The issue of Certificate of No Impedence and publication of the Banns are done by the Consulate. Maybe these were not necessary in your case Vesna
Each country have there own laws.
The British Consulate were extremely efficient in my case.. couldn't fault them.