PDA

View Full Version : Health Which doctor & hospital is closest to San Eugenio to see with EHIC card?

Leam_Lin
08-01-2014, 12:58
Just watched Rip off Britain.

Which is the doctor & Hospital you can use with an EHIC card closest to the San Eugenio area.

languagefan
08-01-2014, 13:07
U can use all hospitals private and public with your health card ONLY for emergencies for free. There is a little hospital in San Eugenio (costa Adeje hospital), then green hospital in Los cristianos.
Good luck

primrose
08-01-2014, 14:08
Just watched Rip off Britain.

Which is the doctor & Hospital you can use with an EHIC card closest to the San Eugenio area.

Don't understand what a Hospital or Doctor near San Eugenio has to do with Rip Off Britain.Perhaps I am just being thick, can somebody explain what I am missing here.

Leam_Lin
08-01-2014, 15:49
Don't understand what what a Hospital or Doctor near San Eugenio has to do with Rip Off Britain.Perhaps I am just being thick, can somebody explain what I am missing here.

Sorry Primrose, the rip off programme this morning was about a couple with an EHIC card, the lady became ill, reception staff at their hotel rang a doctor who then called an ambulance. taken to hospital showed EHIC card , lady was admitted, husband then told 1,000 euros then it became 2,000 euros. Hence, I would like to know what doctor to call & which hospital to be taken to IN A TAXI. to use my EHIC card ( hope I don't need to)

primrose
08-01-2014, 17:05
Sorry Primrose, the rip off programme this morning was about a couple with an EHIC card, the lady became ill, reception staff at their hotel rang a doctor who then called an ambulance. taken to hospital showed EHIC card , lady was admitted, husband then told 1,000 euros then it became 2,000 euros. Hence, I would like to know what doctor to call & which hospital to be taken to IN A TAXI. to use my EHIC card ( hope I don't need to)

Thanks Leam_Lin, I read that over and over and didn't understand. Which Hospital was she taken to.

Leam_Lin
08-01-2014, 19:19
Sorry Primrose, don't think the hospital was named.

junglejim
08-01-2014, 21:07
El Mojon outside LC will treat you with EHIC,I believe there is also an Urgencias Clinic across from Bus Station in LC that will see you .

https://maps.google.es/maps?q=Los+Cristianos&hl=es&ll=28.054106,-16.712598&spn=0.002732,0.005284&sll=28.444464,-15.853272&sspn=2.786665,5.410767&oq=los+&t=h&hnear=Los+Cristianos,+Santa+Cruz+de+Tenerife,+Cana rias&z=18&layer=c&cbll=28.054031,-16.712621&panoid=chAWAlB--tqYogtuIFxtlQ&cbp=12,292.73,,0,0

Tom & Sharon
08-01-2014, 21:17
Why would you go in a taxi in an emergency? The ambulances aren't in cahoots with hospitals to take you where they can charge you. The ambulances are directed by the social which hospital they take you to in an emergency. They would never take you to a private only hospital. If they take you to Hospiten, as it's split private/social they will try to send you down the private route, but they will take your EH1C if you insist you have no private insurance.

languagefan
08-01-2014, 21:25
Tom & Sharon are right. Show them your card and NO cash (in an emergency).

Leam_Lin
08-01-2014, 21:31
El Mojon outside LC will treat you with EHIC,I believe there is also an Urgencias Clinic across from Bus Station in LC that will see you .

https://maps.google.es/maps?q=Los+Cristianos&hl=es&ll=28.054106,-16.712598&spn=0.002732,0.005284&sll=28.444464,-15.853272&sspn=2.786665,5.410767&oq=los+&t=h&hnear=Los+Cristianos,+Santa+Cruz+de+Tenerife,+Cana rias&z=18&layer=c&cbll=28.054031,-16.712621&panoid=chAWAlB--tqYogtuIFxtlQ&cbp=12,292.73,,0,0

Many thanks JJ.

junglejim
08-01-2014, 21:49
Why would you go in a taxi in an emergency? The ambulances aren't in cahoots with hospitals to take you where they can charge you. The ambulances are directed by the social which hospital they take you to in an emergency. They would never take you to a private only hospital. If they take you to Hospiten, as it's split private/social they will try to send you down the private route, but they will take your EH1C if you insist you have no private insurance.

I have posted on this issue before ,they will eventually take you in an emergency on EHIC but it is a battle of wills , even with Insurance they insist on a cash deposit or card imprint , I have experience of this with an 83 year old ,charged at €1000 a day!

Margaretta
08-01-2014, 23:58
It's still a bit fuzzy....sorry.
My husband was taken ill in our apartment but refused to call anyone and then realised that he had forgotten to take his tablets for a couple of days. He was fine after that but it was frightening and I realised that I just wasn't sure what to do. We are insured through our bank and have the EHIC cards. Maybe things will be sorted when Cristian Sur is finally completed but please, in the meantime could someone give a simple step by step from the moment of the illness? Many thanks.

Skeggy
09-01-2014, 10:43
Is it not the case, that you will need an interpreter if you attend any Spanish public medical facility, the one opposite the LC bus station had a sign proclaiming we do not speak English and seeing a Doctor using the EHIC you need some Spanish, The insured route at the Green covers interpreters.

junglejim
09-01-2014, 11:48
Is it not the case, that you will need an interpreter if you attend any Spanish public medical facility, the one opposite the LC bus station had a sign proclaiming we do not speak English and seeing a Doctor using the EHIC you need some Spanish, The insured route at the Green covers interpreters.

Let´s be straight about this , the "Interpreters" at the Green Hospital are there for one reason only , to process your documentation/Insurance and extract any money they can from you !
They work for Hospiten Group and they co-erce you into the Insurance/Private route rather than using EHIC for emergency treatment ,I have experienced it 4 times with family and friends , even to the point of harrassing people in their beds just after an operation .
Once you get past them into the Hospital the medical staff are excellent!
Just check your bill at the end and make sure they only charge you for what you were treated for!

Tom & Sharon
09-01-2014, 20:56
When I fell and broke my leg, in a nutshell this is exactly what happened:-

1. Dialled 112 and asked for an ambulance, which promptly arrived

2. The ambulance took me to Hospiten Sur (green clinic)

3. On arrival, I was accompanied in the ambulance by my mum who was on holiday and speaks no Spanish.

4. I was taken on a stretcher through to Urgencias, and my mum went to reception and presented my passport and EH1C.

5. These were accepted without question by the reception staff, and they copied them.

6. As my mum was not allowed in to see me, she left, taking my passport and EH1C with her.

7. Inside Urgencias, I was seen immediately by a doctor. He asked did I have private insurance? I told him no.

8. He sent me for X ray which confirmed my leg was badly broken.

9. He asked again, was I sure I didn't have private insurance. Again I told him no. This was the last time I was asked.

10. He told me I needed an operation on my leg, and that he needed permission from social security to keep me there.

11. Social Security gave permission for me to be admitted to a ward.

12. The following day was a Sunday, so nothing happened.

13. On the Monday, at the direction of social security, an ambulance was sent for me from Candelaria, and I was transported there.

14. Once at Candelaria I was seen by the orthopaedic team almost immediately, who manipulated my leg back into place (with the aid of lots of morphine) and put a toe to hip plaster on.

15. Whilst this treatment was happening, a lady came to see me who introduced herself in English as being from "public relations" and asked if I needed anything, and who was at home. She took our home number and I told her my mum was there (Tom was in England) My mum confirmed that they rang 3 times to check that she would be there to look after me. This was again all in English.

16. The orthopaedic consultant came to see me. He told me that as a European citizen, I was entitled to aftercare in either Tenerife or the UK, and that the choice would be mine.

17. The hospital then provided an ambulance to take me home from Candelaria to the Golf. They took me home, into the house, and put me into bed, said goodnight, and left me with my mum.

All on my Eh1C

1st class service from the social security, all in English. There's really nothing to be scared of. You do need to know what you're doing though, because people like Hospiten will milk it if they can. But it's them that's at fault, not the social security system.

We do have private insurance, but I would never admit to it, or use it, unless it was for something like repatriation.

Margaretta
09-01-2014, 23:08
Thank you for your very clear answer Sharon. Got it now and yes, it does seem that not to admit to having private insurance is the easiest route. But if that were ever found out would we be liable in any way for not declaring it? Supposing the social security had said "no admittance" and one didn't have private insurance?

Tom & Sharon
09-01-2014, 23:34
Thank you for your very clear answer Sharon. Got it now and yes, it does seem that not to admit to having private insurance is the easiest route. But if that were ever found out would we be liable in any way for not declaring it? Supposing the social security had said "no admittance" and one didn't have private insurance?

Margaretta, you are confusing yourself.

As a British, and therefore European citizen, you are entitled to emergency medical care in Tenerife, and also care whilst there as a holidaymaker for chronic illnesses such as cancer and kidney failure where you need to have ongoing treatment like dialysis or chemotherapy.

There's a lot of scaremongering going on here. It is not compulsory to have private medical insurance, nor to declare that you have it. If, like I did, you need to use the emergency medical care available, you are far better to use what is the equivalent of the NHS. They will treat you as per your medical need, and not as per the needs of the balance sheet. As a European citizen you are entitled to it, and as an aside, it is more than equal to the care you will receive at home in your local NHS hospital. If you admit yourself to a private hospital with private cover, they will milk it. It's a business. You will find yourself having every test and procedure under the sun, necessary or not.

My experience of the Spanish state system in Candelaria was second to none. It is nothing to be worried about.

Like I said previously, we do have private insurance, and you do need it. But not for everything, it's something to keep up your sleeve. Our eldest son broke his back when we were on a skiing holiday in Austria. He was taken to a state hospital, and his care was amazing. It put the NHS care we have to shame. But, he needed repatriation to the UK by air ambulance, for which the bill was £12,000. That is where we needed our private cover, and that is why I would never not have it. But for actual medical care? Again, something to have up your sleeve, just in case.

bonitatime
10-01-2014, 16:50
I would prefer 100 times over to be taken to el Mojon than the Hospiten emergency area but if you are staying in Los Cristianos would try the clinic opposite the bus station as first port of call

Margaretta
11-01-2014, 01:31
Thank you again for the detailed explanation. So if there is a need to call an ambulance we should ask for the Green Hospital as it is supposed to treat us as an NHS hospital and accept our cards. Which hospitals should we avoid who will harrass for private insurance? When you are ill or worried it is difficult to think clearly. Basically I'm looking for two lists: NHS-type and private hospitals. Sorry to belabour this.

Bazz
11-01-2014, 09:13
Thank you again for the detailed explanation. So if there is a need to call an ambulance we should ask for the Green Hospital as it is supposed to treat us as an NHS hospital and accept our cards. Which hospitals should we avoid who will harrass for private insurance? When you are ill or worried it is difficult to think clearly. Basically I'm looking for two lists: NHS-type and private hospitals. Sorry to belabour this.

It is the Green hospital that will harass you for your private insurance.
You are right Margaretta it is difficult to think clearly when someone is taken ill, I had the very same predicament last year and was worried sick. In the end didn't go to any of the hospitals but went to A&E when we got home.

Leam_Lin
11-01-2014, 09:19
It is the Green hospital that will harass you for your private insurance.
You are right Margaretta it is difficult to think clearly when someone is taken ill, I had the very same predicament last year and was worried sick. In the end didn't go to any of the hospitals but went to A&E when we got home.

Thanks. This is exactly why I started the thread.

bonitatime
11-01-2014, 09:52
The state system includes the clinic in Los Cris in the Valdes centre and El Mojon
Hospiten has an agreement to take social patients but with foreigners they will try to make you use your insurance. You will need to insist

Tom & Sharon
11-01-2014, 09:53

It's OK Margaretta, and yes it's confusing.

If you call an ambulance, it will be directed by the social security which hospital to take you to. It's not a taxi, you can't get in and ask them to take you to a specific place ;)

An ambulance won't take you to a private hospital. However, it may, as in my case take you to Hospiten Sur (also known as the green clinic). This is where the confusion arises, because it is a dual role hospital. It treats both state and private patients. I think this is where the British get their knickers in a twist, because it's something we don't have in the UK. Our hospitals are either NHS or private, but not both together in the same building.

The British arrive at Urgencias without understanding the system, and I should imagine very often confused and frightened. They've probably all got EH1Cs and mostly all got private insurance as well, and the hospital staff know this. When presented with a confused and ill British holidaymaker, they know that they can be treated under their EH1C, but they also know that they're extremely likely to be clutching a private policy somewhere.

They are therefore presented with a patient who they can either treat for free, or one who they can milk their private insurance for treatment. Same hospital, same doctors, but for free or potentially thousands of euros from a British insurance company. It's the system that's at fault, having one hospital with a dual private/state function. Of course they're going to ask for your insurance first, and 99.9% of holidaymakers are going to say they've got it, thinking they're doing the right thing, and also probably believing that they'll be buying better care. And then they've got you..........well of course they'll need a deposit.......and your insurance policy........and your credit card, just in case........

If you have no insurance, or tell them you don't, the social security will give them permission to treat you under your EH1C.

If you go to a state hospital only, such as El Mojon, this scenario won't arise. I've also been through Urgencias in there, as I'm extremely accident prone! ;) Again, first class service, no pressure for private insurance, I can't remember them even asking if I had it.

Our son got punched in the face one night in PDLA (as you do!) His lip needed stitching, so his friends took him to USP at Adeje as it is the nearest one. Another private hospital. A group of youngsters, worse the wear for drink, with one needing stitches. When they got there, USP asked them for a 200€ deposit to see him. They didn't of course have 200€ between them, and rang me. I told them to get a taxi to Mojon, and I would meet them there with his passport and EH1C, which I did. He was seen and stitched immediately with no fuss regarding his EH1C and certainly no demand for money.

You are right trying to get your facts straight Margaretta, just in case you ever need emergency care. When the ambulance is outside, is not the time to be wondering what to do.

I hope all that makes sense?

Margaretta
11-01-2014, 18:57
It does make sense now. Thank you Sharon. And yes, Bazz, if problems arise we have tended to wait until returning home but we have faith in Spanish doctors and would prefer to be treated quickly. We experienced this on the Spanish mainland and the EHIC was immediately accepted and correct treatment given very quickly and efficiently. Thank you for a very helpful thread Leam-Lin.

Jackalina
11-01-2014, 23:46
Great advice there, I am wondering how the EHIC card works when you have a less serious illness/accident say a sore throat that you don't really need to go to hospital for but you may need medication what do you do then?

Tom & Sharon
12-01-2014, 07:29
Great advice there, I am wondering how the EHIC card works when you have a less serious illness/accident say a sore throat that you don't really need to go to hospital for but you may need medication what do you do then?

Just go to the Farmacia and get some advice and some tablets. Spanish medication is also pretty good, and you can buy soooo much more over the counter than you can in UK. Only pharmacies are allowed to sell medication in Spain, so you can't just pick up a packet of paracetamol or sore throat sweets in the supermarket like you can in UK. However, this has the positive effect of good advice and more medication being prescribed over the counter by the pharmacist.

Susief
12-01-2014, 09:27
Just go to the Farmacia and get some advice and some tablets. Spanish medication is also pretty good, and you can buy soooo much more over the counter than you can in UK. Only pharmacies are allowed to sell medication in Spain, so you can't just pick up a packet of paracetamol or sore throat sweets in the supermarket like you can in UK. However, this has the positive effect of good advice and more medication being prescribed over the counter by the pharmacist.

Last time I was over in December was full of a cold/cough and went to Farmacia in Los Cris and she recommended some powders. Worked really well and only cost 6 euro. She spoke English too.

Jackalina
12-01-2014, 11:12
But you can't get antibiotics now can you without a doctors prescription?

bonitatime
12-01-2014, 11:29
Medical centre in the Valdes building opposite the bus station with your card and a photocopy of your passport

junglejim
23-01-2014, 17:37
One of our owner´s wife was admitted to Green Hospital yesterday with severe heart attack , he had to deposit €10,000 although he has insurance ! Bloodsuckers !

Tom & Sharon
23-01-2014, 22:07
One of our owner´s wife was admitted to Green Hospital yesterday with severe heart attack , he had to deposit €10,000 although he has insurance ! Bloodsuckers !

What was she doing there! How did she get there?

He must have capitulated to their demands, and admitted to having private insurance. If he had said they had no private insurance, and had to be treated on EH1C, they would have received exactly the same treatment, in the same hospital, without question of insurance or deposit.

Not easy when your wife's having a heart attack, and that's what they rely on!

junglejim
24-01-2014, 11:02
She was taken by emergency ambulance to Green Hospital , they have insurance but because of medical procedures required they insisted on deposit .
When you´re having a cardiac arrest , an hour to Santa Cruz isn´t on !
They have owned here for decades but not residents and it was late at night when incident happened .
She is still very poorly and isn´t able to be transferred at present to SC .

Tom & Sharon
24-01-2014, 19:31
She was taken by emergency ambulance to Green Hospital , they have insurance but because of medical procedures required they insisted on deposit .
When you´re having a cardiac arrest , an hour to Santa Cruz isn´t on !
They have owned here for decades but not residents and it was late at night when incident happened .
She is still very poorly and isn´t able to be transferred at present to SC .

Ah, so they weren't just trying to use EH1C then? That's different! Back down the insurance route........

junglejim
25-01-2014, 19:53
The ending of the story is not good , the Lady's husband had to pay another €30,000 into the hospital in Euros this morning due to a dispute on his insurance , she died this afternoon unfortunately , he has Worldwide Insurance and is an experienced traveller and long time owner here .
His comments were that the front of house "Nazis" were absolute B$$$$rds and would not admit her without payment ,despite suffering a heart atttack ! Sums the place up for me !

Bazz
25-01-2014, 20:00
So sorry to hear that JJ.
That is a truly shocking, disgraceful experience :(

Leam_Lin
25-01-2014, 20:42
Very sad, what a complete shambles.

warbey
25-01-2014, 21:48
it doesn't help the Poor Couple I know, but can You get a Complaints Form There... Can something such as that be followed up.?

They seem to be exempt, which shouldn't be the Case....

Tom & Sharon
26-01-2014, 16:10
Very sad :(

Harters
26-01-2014, 18:56
I may be missing something here.

If I have holiday insurance and I am taken to a private hospital, I don't understand why that would be a problem. Wouldnt I just ring the insurance company 24/7 emergency number and get them to talk to the hospital and agree what was needed?

That would be exactly what we had to do last year, in America, when one of the party needed hospital treatment (admiited for several days with pneumonia). It was absolutely no problem - and that was in a situation where all health care was chargeable which doesnt seem to be the case for emergency treatment at Hospiten Sur.

Leam_Lin
26-01-2014, 20:08
I may be missing something here.

If I have holiday insurance and I am taken to a private hospital, I don't understand why that would be a problem. Wouldnt I just ring the insurance company 24/7 emergency number and get them to talk to the hospital and agree what was needed?

That would be exactly what we had to do last year, in America, when one of the party needed hospital treatment (admiited for several days with pneumonia). It was absolutely no problem - and that was in a situation where all health care was chargeable which doesnt seem to be the case for emergency treatment at Hospiten Sur.

I asked the question which Doctor/Hospital nearest to San Eugenio could we use an EHIC CARD nothing to do with having holiday insurance.

Harters
26-01-2014, 21:02
I asked the question which Doctor/Hospital nearest to San Eugenio could we use an EHIC CARD nothing to do with having holiday insurance.

Yes, you did. But several other respondents had already started to refer to holiday insurance. It's the nature of internet discussion boards that, as in real life, coversations meander about. That's what's happening here and has been since post #8 when it was first mentioned.

Leam_Lin
26-01-2014, 21:15
Yes, you did. But several other respondents had already started to refer to holiday insurance. It's the nature of internet discussion boards that, as in real life, coversations meander about. That's what's happening here and has been since post #8 when it was first mentioned.

I agree it has gone off at a tangent.

The point is regardless of whether you have private insurance or not, if you have a current EHIC CARD which Doctor/Hospital can you use.

bonitatime
30-01-2014, 18:16
From San Eugenio the nearest dr's is in the Valdes centre in Los Cris or in Adeje main town
For emergencies try el Mojon as that has a 24hr emergency service
If I had a heart attack I would want to make the 50 minute journey to Candelaria

Leam_Lin
16-02-2014, 10:45

I have read on another forum, a statement from a lady who lives here 'not the banned one' if a doctor calls the ambulanace & you have shown the EHIC card it would be free, if you call the ambulance you will be required to pay for it..

Tom & Sharon
16-02-2014, 12:32
I have read on another forum, a statement from a lady who lives here 'not the banned one' if a doctor calls the ambulanace & you have shown the EHIC card it would be free, if you call the ambulance you will be required to pay for it..

That's rubbish as well!

junglejim
14-03-2014, 14:08
Just an update, my friend went up to El Mojon this morning with a suspected knee cartilage injury - he used his EHIC with Passport .
He was taken ,filled in a form , spoken to in English, given an examination and X Ray -diagnosed with a meniscus problem and 2 bones rubbing - given a prescription for anti inflamatory and told to use ice pack - given a written diagnosis and a copy of Xray , no charge !

slodgedad
14-03-2014, 22:19
Majon is improving all the time. I now have my neurology appointments there rather than Candeleria.

BoPeep
24-11-2014, 13:11
where is the state hospital in el Mojon, there seems to be loads of 'el Mojon' when I look on Goggle Earth.