View Full Version : Home and Garden Where can I buy a lintel in south Tenerife?

Jabba43
13-01-2014, 20:41
I want to add in some 4m span patio doors. Anyone know a place where I can get some lintels this size?

Moderator___
14-01-2014, 11:42
Not a clue but I suspect that Goya in Armeņime will either have them, or know where to get them.

casabonny
14-01-2014, 16:24
Probably Las Chafiras or Bolsa de Agua

bulldog
14-01-2014, 19:01
I want to add in some 4m span patio doors. Anyone know a place where I can get some lintels this size?

there are no support walls in a conventional Spanish build they are built using the pillar ring beam system bit like
a multi story car park depending how many coarse,s of block work above the frame and there condition you may
not need a lintel on saying that have it looked at by an experienced builder

deepdivejunkie
14-01-2014, 19:30
4 meters is alot to span before you put the doors in. Maybe you would be better with a steel lintel (RSJ). Later encased in concrete. Just a thought. Any concrete lintel may well bend with the weight unless it is a very big one.

Jabba43
14-01-2014, 20:32
there are no support walls in a conventional Spanish build they are built using the pillar ring beam system bit like
a multi story car park depending how many coarse,s of block work above the frame and there condition you may
not need a lintel on saying that have it looked at by an experienced builder

Yes exactly this I was wondering about. I have left about 20cm above the door ( total 290 cm height, windows 270cm) and am thinking how I am going to get the bricks on top. RSJ is going to be costly, so that is why I was thinking a lintel would do, pretty sure I cannot put the bricks straight onto the window. Ideally I would have liked to get the doors from floor to ceiling, that looks great but I had to order abroad as prices in Tenerife were ridiculous for aluminium and was not confident enough to get right up to the ceiling.

If anyone else needs some alu windows, I got some Tenerife quotes for about 300 euro/m2. Total would have been 28000 euros for this house. I found some Aussie guys who were buying bi fold doors in China and were happy. That is where I have ordered for 1/3 of the cost. So far a reasonably happy, had quality inspection done on site. Fingers crossed :)

Jabba43
26-01-2014, 22:37
Saw builder, says I need RSJ's. Now I need a structural guy to calculate he load and which steels I need to put in. Anyone have any ideas if such engineers exist on this Island :)?

Secondly I just fund out that I need a "minor building license" for internal alterations. Any ideas how long these take to get from the town hall?

bulldog
28-01-2014, 18:30
Saw builder, says I need RSJ's. Now I need a structural guy to calculate he load and which steels I need to put in. Anyone have any ideas if such engineers exist on this Island :)?

Secondly I just fund out that I need a "minor building license" for internal alterations. Any ideas how long these take to get from the town hall?

I know!! but I don,t speak Polish:lol:

9PLUS
28-01-2014, 20:26
I know!! but I don,t speak Polish:lol:

Interthreads so dam Creative LOL

atlantico
28-01-2014, 20:31
I replaced a 3m steel RSJ over our garage doors - €140 from Bolsa de Agua in Las Chafiras, delivered. BUT, only one man turned up to off-load it, luckily, I knew a few big blokes ! We then hand lifted it into place ! I used 8" RSJ - more than adequate

when in the Canaries, do as the Canarians do - they say 'what's a minor building licence?'