PDA

View Full Version : Other What have you been reading?

rosemary
14-01-2014, 12:31
I was halfway through The Railway Man which I was thoroughly enjoying before my 2 year old Kindle just died. dead as a Parrot. No amount of shock treatment with either the PC UBS cable or a new adaper Nada. It had had enough of my gloomy titles and decided to give a nasty shock instead to bring my sense of humour back. Why is the whole of this right hand side of the page covered in Thread titles and smileys? I can't see what I'm writing.
Anyhow......I am not yet decided over whether to buy a new improved reconditioned or whatever Kindle. I love paper books. Can't get enough of em. I need bookshelves still BTW.

I have also just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Aamaazzing book. The main character is a young man living in New York who is looking back at the one incident in his very young life which altered his whole perspective. I don't want to give too much away so this is not a critique but Amazon has them. 5 stars and it's a long long book over 700 pages in paper version. Brilliant writing by a first time young novelist. Highly recommend.

What about you guys?

primrose
14-01-2014, 12:52
Anything on Amazon that is free for my Kindle, had some really good books and some really bad ones,but doesn't matter if they are free just delete them if they are rubbish, I can sit at Computer for ages going through the books and doesn't matter how many I order it costs me nothing, I have just bought two, the latest Josephine Cox Novel and Brendan O'Carroll's Autobiography.I would not be able to sleep if I didn't read for an hour or so when I went to bed. I used to buy a lot of books that were being sold for Charity but not any more, the last one I got had paper lice and silver fish in it.Yuk.eek2:

lynnangela
14-01-2014, 13:23
Im currently reading International Bank of Bob, which is about how micro finance is saving the world (maybe not quite that good lol) but anyway, of particular interest to me as I have been involved in micro finance as a lender through Kiva, for some while now.

Most recent fiction books I have read is Gone Girl, which was last summers big read judging by the number of books of it being read around the pool! A wife goes missing, the story is told in alternating chapters by the husband in the present day and the wife from diary entries. Absolutely brilliant and compulsive read which unexpectedly and completely changes direction half way through.

Ive read 2 books by Annabel Pitcher, Ketchup Clouds and My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece, both where very good and kind on inline with Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night.

I have kindle as well, the paperwhite version which is wonderful as it is backlit and can be read in bed! but the battery does not last as long as the original. In all ive had 3 kindles in the past few years. Hubby bought me one a few years ago which I had for about 6 months and then thought I had lost it on a train, eventually I bought another and probably less than a week later found the first one! Both of those are wifi versions, then last year I splashed out on the 3g Kindle. The first one has now died in a similar fashion to what you describe.

You might consider buying a small tablet instead of a new kindle, as a tablet will do everything a kindle will do with the free kindle app . I wish I had thought it through properly when I bought the paperwhite as I then subsequently bought an ipad mini which is just as good If not better, for reading on. The Tesco Hudl is about £110 I think and you can expand the memory with a memory card.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I looked up The Goldfinch on Amazon, sounds right up my street so have bought it!

delderek
14-01-2014, 13:44
Im currently reading International Bank of Bob, which is about how micro finance is saving the world (maybe not quite that good lol) but anyway, of particular interest to me as I have been involved in micro finance as a lender through Kiva, for some while now.

Most recent fiction books I have read is Gone Girl, which was last summers big read judging by the number of books of it being read around the pool! A wife goes missing, the story is told in alternating chapters by the husband in the present day and the wife from diary entries. Absolutely brilliant and compulsive read which unexpectedly and completely changes direction half way through.

Ive read 2 books by Annabel Pitcher, Ketchup Clouds and My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece, both where very good and kind on inline with Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night.

I have kindle as well, the paperwhite version which is wonderful as it is backlit and can be read in bed! but the battery does not last as long as the original. In all ive had 3 kindles in the past few years. Hubby bought me one a few years ago which I had for about 6 months and then thought I had lost it on a train, eventually I bought another and probably less than a week later found the first one! Both of those are wifi versions, then last year I splashed out on the 3g Kindle. The first one has now died in a similar fashion to what you describe.

You might consider buying a small tablet instead of a new kindle, as a tablet will do everything a kindle will do with the free kindle app . I wish I had thought it through properly when I bought the paperwhite as I then subsequently bought an ipad mini which is just as good If not better, for reading on. The Tesco Hudl is about £110 I think and you can expand the memory with a memory card.

I looked up The Goldfinch on Amazon, sounds right up my street so have bought it!

Interesting, but surely nothing with an lcd screen can be read outside in sunlight, as per a kindle.

Should also add that battery life on kindle is a few weeks, most lcd screens are a few hours

lynnangela
14-01-2014, 14:46
Interesting, but surely nothing with an lcd screen can be read outside in sunlight, as per a kindle.

Should also add that battery life on kindle is a few weeks, most lcd screens are a few hours

Good point on the screen issue, ive just taken my ipad outside and I can read quite easily as long as the sun is not reflecting directly onto the screen. In reality if you are reading with the sun directly behind you so that it would reflect off the screen, you finds that your own head actually blocks the sun in any case. Point is though that the kindle does have the much better display outside, but the tablet is still perfectly readable.

On the battery issue, my kindle paperwhite has a continuous battery life of 10hrs. The ads state 8 weeks if you read for half an hour a day, but in reality 10 hours continuous use battery life is the norm. The ordinary kindle does however have a fantastic battery life. Im an avid reader and I used to charge it only about once per month. The backlight on the paperwhite drains the battery clearly, although you can turn the backlight down to conserve power. My ipad mini has battery life also of around 10 hours continuous use, so is similar to the paperwhite

The drawback with the kindle is that you can pretty much only read books on it, whereas with a tablet you can do pretty much everything.

So on the issue of the screen, reading outside the kindle wins but the tablet is still doable
On the issue of battery life the kindle wins hands down for the normal kindle and paperwhite is about the same compared to a tablet
For versatility the tablet wins hands down and by miles, but the Kindle is cheaper.
Basic kindle is £69, Kindle Paperwhite is £110. Tesco Hudl tablet £119 , ipad mini £250. I still think the Tesco hudl is a serious contender.

Malteser Monkey
14-01-2014, 15:53
5 Easy steps to becoming a Mod:D:lol:

sorry Rosemary:hello:

karinagal
14-01-2014, 16:37
I've just come back from Tenerife and while I was there I read 11.22.63 by Stephen King and Innocence by Dean Koontz. I have the Kindle Paperwhite and I love it... I get more than 10 hours per charge as long as I remember to switch off the wifi and turn down the backlit display during the day.. I bought a Nook Simple Touch GlowLight for my daughter for her Christmas - it was a bargain at £49 - and she loves it! Cheaper than the basic Kindle and as good as the Paperwhite at less than half the price!

lynnangela
14-01-2014, 17:01
11.22.63 is a great book, I think I read that about a year ago but its one of those books I could read again. I love Stephen King but this is different to the usual horror story as this is a book about time travelling. Fantastic read.

Malteser Monkey
14-01-2014, 17:08
11.22.63 is a great book, I think I read that about a year ago but its one of those books I could read again. I love Stephen King but this is different to the usual horror story as this is a book about time travelling. Fantastic read.

I like his books too - read a few of his years ago - just don't get time now - however if this is one of his I will take a look ??

karinagal
14-01-2014, 18:12

I'll be honest with you.. I started the book a couple of months back but couldn't really get into it at the time.. I gave up on it. Decided to give it a second go and it must be a sign of how good the book was, as I was able to pick it up where I left off and remembered all the characters! Once I gave it a second go, I really enjoyed it!

rosemary
14-01-2014, 19:42
my OH is enjoying a book called Churchill's Triumph by Michael Dobbs. A great read which covers the Yalta meeting with the Russians 4th Feb 1945. FD Roosevelt and Joseph Stalin. They all 3 have different agendas.

warbey
14-01-2014, 20:01
As a Child I had read most of the Classics by the age of 12.. That was My Grand dads contribution to My Education

I read on and off for Years then discovered a couple of

gifted Authors, so I read the Section in My Public Library. around 22 Stories.

This was long before C.D.'s and D.V.D.'s etc now available.

I recently discovered an Author called Dale Brown who writes Warplane stories..most enjoyable.

I have always read kids Comics then Magazines of various Hobbies. as I grew older.

Nowadays its Computer and Aircraft Magazines with an occasional Camera one..
I can read a bit, then put it down till later. I can't do that with a Book...

I recently bought a Nexus, so it's now wait and see...............

Margaretta
15-01-2014, 02:23
I'm quite a muddly reader....anything from crime novels, classics, biographies to reference books with some light romances in between.
Just before Christmas I finished 'The Life of Matisse'...I've read a lot about artists...and he was an extraordinary man with so much energy and so many fingers in many artistic pies! Of course he didn't have to do the housework, the washing and ironing etc. He could just get on with what he loved to do!
I have just read a book by Andrew Davidson called 'The Gargoyle.' Really stumped here to describe it as it is such an odd story which unfolds unexpectedly with mini stories ; I really like the Japanese one.
I have been struggling with 'A Room with a View.' I haven't seen the film but feel I ought to read this first. It is stomach-churningly filled with the unnecessary politeness of the time in which it is set but I'm persevering. In Tenerife I'm also endeavouring to complete 'The Forest', which is set in the New Forest and covers much of the history, 'Don Quijote' and 'Tales of the Alhambra' with Henning Mankell's latest on my Kindle for the plane. I do like challenging books but often give them a rest. Ready now for a nice, easy romance: Sacha Wagstaff's latest perhaps. My favourite was 'Heaven Scent' because I loved the story of perfume manufacturing. I certainly have a big nose, but sadly not the 'nose' to create a wonderful perfume.