PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork How do I exchange a UK driving license for a Spanish one?

jandy
15-01-2014, 18:50
My husband has a uk driving license,the photo has expired we are resident in Tenerife and he would like to get a spanish license, how do we go about that we live in torviscas alto.

garlicbread
15-01-2014, 20:19
You need to go to Trafico in Santa Cruz. Show the receptionist your UK licence and tell her/him you wish to exchange for a Spanish one. They understand enough English to direct you to the right desk where they will process your request. If you PM me with an e mail address I will send you a copy of the form you need to fill in and take with you along with originals and copies of your passport, plus a copy of your (plastic) licence, your NIE, and your certificado de empadronamiento. You also need 2 photos (canje size). If you are, by chance, of pensionable age, then you also need to take a medical which will cost you about €40 and can be done somewhere close to where you live, if younger this is not necessary. The exchange licence will cost you €27.10 which you pay on your second visit to Trafico (they call you to tell you when to go back). You will get you Spanish licence in the post about 3 weeks after your second visit to Trafico.

If you speak absolutely no Spanish then I can recommend someone who will do it all for you, at a cost of course.

jandy
16-01-2014, 11:19
Is there not a Trafico nearer to where I live ? My husband needs to renew his license not just replace it , so would he not need a medical too ?

bonitatime
16-01-2014, 13:01
If you are over 50 you need a medical
No where closer some medical centres Will de The renewals but not sure they can convert

casabonny
16-01-2014, 17:04
Medical centers cannot exchange licenses full stop.Some have been known to take money in the past for this but they cannot do them.
Motorworldtenerife can provide this service for you, contact details in my signature if you are interested.

garlicbread
17-01-2014, 11:56
If you are over 50 you need a medical

Not true, my wife is over 50 and did NOT need a medical. I'm pretty sure you need a medical if you are over 70 but maybe someone else will confirm that

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Is there not a Trafico nearer to where I live ? My husband needs to renew his license not just replace it , so would he not need a medical too ?

I'm confused....in your original post you said you wished to get a Spanish licence, now you say you want to renew one. If you reside here i.e. stay for 183 days or more per year, then your UK licence is no longer valid as it does not have your correct address and therefore cannot be renewed.

jandy
17-01-2014, 14:18
We live here full time my husbands uk license is out of date, he is 61 we only noticed at xmas when my daughter pointed it out we thought he was ok until he was 70. He does not drive here, but does when we visit uk. Because we do not have a UK address is it right to say we will need a spanish license?

bonitatime
17-01-2014, 18:31
Not true, my wife is over 50 and did NOT need a medical. I'm pretty sure you need a medical if you are over 70 but maybe someone else will confirm that

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I'm confused....in your original post you said you wished to get a Spanish licence, now you say you want to renew one. If you reside here i.e. stay for 183 days or more per year, then your UK licence is no longer valid as it does not have your correct address and therefore cannot be renewed.
I am surprised as Spaniards need a medical at 50