PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Mechanic considering a move to Tenerife

Buzz
16-01-2014, 21:43
Hello all,

Not sure where to start but here I go. After several visits and many months of thought I keep coming back to the urge to try my luck in Tenerife. I come to this decision every time I go but then come back, do my research and get put off my the things I read in this forum.

Obviously the main concern and problem for people is getting work. If you are lucky enough to get any work usually the only things going are PR work, bar work, call centre's etc. There's not much options for careers and the only industry left really is tourism.

One thing however that is in abundance and will be for some time to come are cars, vans, trucks etc. I am a highly qualified technician with 12 years experience (27 years old) and several other skills and qualifications under my belt. My question I think now is obvious but what do people think employment would be like for such a person?

I have a place I can stay for a few months and intend to take a 2-3 month leave with some savings I have, Maybe grab some part time work (if possible but not necessary) and see what I can conjure up possibly working as a mechanic.

The only bridge I will be burning at home will be my work. I'm not 100% happy where I am anyway and was planning to leave. If I was to go to Tenerife and come back I would be confident in finding a job again as there are always jobs going in this trade and well qualified mechanics are in demand.

Any thoughts or guidance greatly appreciated. I have more I'd like to say on the matter but have tried to keep it as short and informative as possible.

Hepa
16-01-2014, 21:53
The questions you have to ask is, would your qualifications be recognized in Spain? also would the language present any difficulties?

Buzz
16-01-2014, 22:09
Well these are the things that aren't so clear. Pretty much these are the things I came on here to get peoples opinions on. I feel the motor industry is probably one of the only industries with life in it as well as tourism. But as you say that may be the case but are good qualifications enough.

As I said I would like to come out on a kind of trial run for a couple of months to see what might be possible but wanted some peoples thoughts first. If it's just going to be a complete waste of time then I may reconsider but seen as I am about to be between jobs I wouldn't say no to an extended holiday :wink2:

bonitatime
17-01-2014, 10:15
Talk to Revs Motors On Facebook they Will have some ideas about The industry And are Really great people

Buzz
17-01-2014, 11:36
I'll do just that. Thanks.

I also have the tools and knowledge to remap ECU's and remove particle filters and EGR's. Hopefully they might have some insight as to whether there is a market for anything like that as well.

rosemary
17-01-2014, 12:35
I am an absolute outsider here, with no experience in mechanics motor trade except being married to ne who ran his own business in UK and is now retired. But what comes across straight away to me when reading your post was the lack of language skills. The only option you have is to work for an English company. If you were to set up on your own here the first thing you need is obviously capital. Second a good Anglo Spanish accountant and tax adviser. Thirdly a Spanish speaking partner.

if you can find work here with an existing English company well done. That I can't help you with. maybe others can.

Buzz
17-01-2014, 16:23
Ye I can see how not speaking Spanish will be a big hindrance. It's something I'm looking into but learning a new language doesn't happen over night. Just kinda wandered how some of these british run garages are doing for them selves. Gonna send a message to the people over at revs motors and see if there willing to give me any insight.

I'm not in a big rush so I'll take the next few months to gather more info and decide whether I want to take leave for a few months.

Susief
17-01-2014, 16:45
Ye I can see how not speaking Spanish will be a big hindrance. It's something I'm looking into but learning a new language doesn't happen over night. Just kinda wandered how some of these british run garages are doing for them selves. Gonna send a message to the people over at revs motors and see if there willing to give me any insight.

I'm not in a big rush so I'll take the next few months to gather more info and decide whether I want to take leave for a few months.

I would contact Ashro, who is a member on here. He is a great guy and has a fairly big garage in the south near Camping Nauta (Las Galletas).
He might be able to give you some advice.
Good luck am sure Tenerife can accommodate another good mechanic.

casabonny
17-01-2014, 17:30
Contact Graham at motorworldtenerife he may be able to offer you work! contact details in my signature.

Buzz
17-01-2014, 21:23
I would contact Ashro, who is a member on here. He is a great guy and has a fairly big garage in the south near Camping Nauta (Las Galletas).
He might be able to give you some advice.
Good luck am sure Tenerife can accommodate another good mechanic.

I contacted him about a week ago when I was in Tenerife but got no reply. I don't blame him though as he probably gets stuff like this all the time. People asking for work when they don't even live on the island. I think at the time though I was going about it all wrong. Now I've come home and had a little more time to think I've managed to put more of a plan in place.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. No one wants to employ someone who doesn't live on the island and no one wants to move to the island without already acquiring a job. That's why feel I have managed to get my self into a rare situation where I can come over for two to three months on a sort of trial period. If I find anything then I can stay. If not then I go home.

Contact Graham at motorworldtenerife he may be able to offer you work! contact details in my signature.

I will certainly do that.

Thank you all for your sensible and encouraging posts. I know it won't be easy but you only live once. If I'm going to regret anything I'd rather it be something I did rather than something I didn't for a change.

essexeddie
17-01-2014, 22:19

Yep I second that, contact Big G. He's a cracking bloke who was looking for a good mechanic for a nice family run business

Susief
17-01-2014, 23:24
I contacted him about a week ago when I was in Tenerife but got no reply. I don't blame him though as he probably gets stuff like this all the time. People asking for work when they don't even live on the island. I think at the time though I was going about it all wrong. Now I've come home and had a little more time to think I've managed to put more of a plan in place.

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. No one wants to employ someone who doesn't live on the island and no one wants to move to the island without already acquiring a job. That's why feel I have managed to get my self into a rare situation where I can come over for two to three months on a sort of trial period. If I find anything then I can stay. If not then I go home.

I will certainly do that.

Thank you all for your sensible and encouraging posts. I know it won't be easy but you only live once. If I'm going to regret anything I'd rather it be something I did rather than something I didn't for a change.

Go for it. You are only young once and if you've nothing holding you back in the UK then do it.
I wouldn't burn all my bridges in UK.
Good luck

Buzz
18-01-2014, 00:05
The only bridges I have are Friends, family, job and accommodation.

A lot of my friends are moving on now anyway which has partially been my encouragement to do something new with my life.

Family will always be there for me as I have a good family.

I am confident it will not take me long to find work on my return (if I return) as skilled mechanics are in demand and there's always jobs going. Can't always guarantee that they'll be ideal jobs but any job is better than no job.

Accommodation is probably the only one I am worried about. Where I live properties are higher than the average. I currently share to make it affordable. My current house sharer would probably have to move on to somewhere else as he wouldn't be able to afford it by him self. I am currently trying to work it where I give him something towards his living costs to stay in the property in case I come back but it is a lot to ask so there are no guarantees there.

If I do come back it will take me some time to get back on my feet but I know the consequences and they are a risk I am willing to take. In the grand scheme of things they are problems that will be over come and forgotten about in no time.

lynnangela
18-01-2014, 01:47
HI Buzz, I cant really give you any useful advice as such but I would like to add my thoughts to the mix.

First and foremost you are young enough to do this, and are in a position to be able to leave the Uk without too much upheaval. Don't wait 5 years or more, only to find that your life has changed too much for you to make the move, don't go through life having regrets about not taking the chance when you had it. Ok it might go wrong, six months down the line you might be back in the Uk looking for another job, but so what, at least you will have had the experience however it works out.

What you need to do is work out a plan that will have you moving over on a given date come what may, that might be six months down the line, a year down the line or it might be next month. Make your plan, make it sensible and stick to it. In that period you need to do 2 things.
1. Save as much money as humanly possible, get another part time job do anything that will make some money for you, save save save. Give up whatever you can that is costing you money.
2. Make a start on learning Spanish, you can learn a lot in a short space of time if you are really serious about it. If you don't know where to start, then start off by downloading the duolingo app. Its free so that's a good start and its a fun way to start to learn the language.

You can live cheap here, its very possible. You could get a 1 bed apartment for as little as €350 a month including bills.

To get a job you need to be here, to get accommodation you need to be here, you are not going to be able to organise these things from the UK very easily. Someone will know someone who does accommodation, but you need to be here. You have to bear in mind that employment here is not easy but im sure you know that, but people do come here and they do get jobs and they do make a success of it. Equally there are those that don't, but if you don't try you will never know. Its also entirely possible that you will be here 6 months then find out that the UK wasn't so bad after all. Its all good learning experience. The most important thing is that you come prepared. So save money and learn the language.

Good luck!!

Buzz
18-01-2014, 12:06
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there and is exactly how I view the situation.

I Can't recall if I mentioned but I do already have some accommodation sorted. It's only temporary though. A family friend has two apartments in San Euginio. They only really get rented out to family and friends so a 3 month lodger puts money in his pocket which he wouldn't have and I get a place to stay. Win win really. Just need to use the time I do have over there wisely.

I got recommend doulingo else where. Downloaded it but just haven't had the time to use. Planning this move, trying to get my affairs in order and working as much as I can are taking up all of my time. Any other suggestions for learning Spanish would be very helpful though.

deepdivejunkie
18-01-2014, 19:33
Re suggestions for learning Spanish... If your serious, make time to take a few lessons to get the basics. (Start learning now if poss). Then once here, go in Spanish bars, shops, and restaurants and mix with the local people and listen. Try and interact. You are much more appreciated if you try and get it wrong than if you stick to English. Start frequenting all the English bars etc over here, you'll get nowhere. If you're going to a country to work, then speaking the language where you live is a must.

canarybird
18-01-2014, 19:45
And if you can find a Spanish girlfriend you'll learn the language even faster. :)

deepdivejunkie
18-01-2014, 19:50
And if you can find a Spanish girlfriend you'll learn the language even faster. :)

Y todos las palabras de palabrotas :lol:

Buzz
18-01-2014, 20:14
And so my lesson begins :flatcap:

Tony the Welder
18-01-2014, 20:46
there is a shortish of mobile mechanics which means no local to work In and low costs maby the best way forward

Buzz
18-01-2014, 22:53
Not too sure about that one. Granted road side assistance is pretty much just being a mechanic but it's still something I have no experience at. A lot more risk involved in doing something like that as I would need to invest cash into getting set up plus many other obstacles. Speaking Spanish would be a must as well I would have thought.

amanda
18-01-2014, 23:35
Y todos las palabras de palabrotas :lol:

Sorry don't understand your spanish needs a lot of improvement

karinagal
18-01-2014, 23:48
Buzz, I'd recommend that you look at the BBC website and search for Mi Vida Loca. It's an introduction to Spanish in an interactive video, and I found it easy and effective for getting some of the basics. Good luck on the job front - it's looking promising for you! :D

Buzz
19-01-2014, 01:22
I'd like to think so but no one I have emailed or messaged has got back to me yet. It's early days though so fingers crossed.

Buzz
19-01-2014, 16:43
Also thanks for the tip on the BBC website. Gonna check that out later today.

Been having a crack at Duolingo. Seems like a good way to get started. I feel like I'm actually learning something!