PDA

View Full Version : I've received a parcel from the UK with mega customs duty.

jackobeen
20-01-2014, 13:49
hello,my 9 year old son has just started archery clases,so he wanted a bow for christmas.ordered it from the uk,it was just over 100 pounds the 1 kg package was sent by express with TNT that was 43 pounds,when it arrived it passed through customs and i was charged 64 euros.rather expensive me thinks.

Tdm
20-01-2014, 20:00
If you use a courier company such as TNT or any of the others you will always get charged surcharges as they go through Customs and both the courier company and Customs bang on extra charges. If you can best to stick with Royal Mail as their parcels mostly come direct with no extra charges.

JaBBa
20-01-2014, 22:01
Thanks TDM

Belinda
10-04-2014, 11:02
Hi there,
I know this customs problem has been batted about a bit before. And we've certainly found that if you can get your delivery by the Post Office, there isn't a problem. It's when it comes by courier you get hammered for customs duty.
We thought we had got around this by requesting our order via Amazon to come by Post, but unfortunately not. So for a £100 item, we not only paid £22 for delivery to the seller (extra as it's the Canary Islands) but had to pay 33€ in customs duty at this end.
I rang the seller and he said that he could have sent it via Parcel Force, but we would have had to pay much more in postage. However, I'm not sure it would have cost as much as the £22 already paid plus the customs.
What annoys me particularly though is that the 33€ was broken down as 23€ customs duty and 10€ IGIC. So how can the IGIC be so high!!
When I spoke to the girl at the couriers, she assured me that the cost of delivery was not included as we had already paid that with the £22. It was all customs (and tax of course).
I think we've got it figured out (again) that if you order an item from Amazon itself, it comes via post. But if you order through a seller on Amazon, it may well come by courier.

bonitatime
10-04-2014, 15:56
I try to order through Germany rather than the UK as this seems to attract tax etc less often and the charges are often paid at source

warbey
10-04-2014, 19:08

I should think if it were Planned, Someone could bring smaller stuff when they came over...?

There are One or Two who do volunteer, when They go on Holiday...

mully
10-04-2014, 19:37
I come over about 5 times a year with a half empty/full 10kg case and if item not too heavy or BIG, I would gladly receive it at home then bring it over and you can call to the Golf del sur and pick it up for free (or maybe a cheaky beer!!)

warbey
10-04-2014, 20:12

Which proves the Point..

There are Nice People on this Forum............................

welsh wendy
10-04-2014, 22:18

Which proves the Point..

There are Nice People on this Forum............................

Very nice idea but how do you know that someone is not going to be a innocent drug mule???

LUCKY
10-04-2014, 22:40
Very nice idea but how do you know that someone is not going to be a innocent drug mule???

I do think you would not getaway with this even on Ryanair :flatcap:

http://www.pbase.com/photo_slufirski_com/image/138286951

mully
10-04-2014, 22:47
If I were to offer this,I would certainly open the parcel with the agreement of the buyer and check it out.The original post was an archery item or if maybe a book,if it was herbs or powdery stuff then forget it!! Lets say the item was a toy stuffed with you know what and I was stopped,I could prove it was delivered to my property by a legitimate courier and could be traced,but I accept your worries and common sense would prevail. Nice to be nice and all that x

Tdm
11-04-2014, 11:55
I may need a new door skin for my Classic Car shipping across some time soon - anyone got a very big suitcase with plenty of spare room in it? :eyebrows:

No - back to the original subject matter - I regularly get small parcels from a firm in Liverpool and I specify delivery by Royal Mail and they always come straight to the complex where I live without any extra charges.
Usually takes between 7 & 10 days and the goods are charged VAT free of course. Very happy with the service.

warbey
11-04-2014, 19:41

I do think the People I was thinking about could be upset at That reply..

THEY are not stupid!!!!!

warbey
12-04-2014, 20:29

x

timmylish
12-04-2014, 22:30
If I were to offer this,I would certainly open the parcel with the agreement of the buyer and check it out.The original post was an archery item or if maybe a book,if it was herbs or powdery stuff then forget it!! Lets say the item was a toy stuffed with you know what and I was stopped,I could prove it was delivered to my property by a legitimate courier and could be traced,but I accept your worries and common sense would prevail. Nice to be nice and all that x.

I have to say that the offer made by you is incredibly kind, not to say thoughtful which, I may well use soon, if I may. I think that in addition to your opening the item, a copy of the order form from, say Amazon, gives you a clear indication of the item to be brought over. As I said I am thinking along these lines!
Meantime, whether I take up your kind offer, many thanks. And this is from someone who has used Amazon extensively and only been crucified twice.

karinagal
13-04-2014, 00:01
So.... On THIS trip I'm bringing 2 ereaders (one is a gift, the other is a replacement for a friend who dropped hers..), 2 Bluetooth speakers, a dogs collar and a couple of haggis (or is that haggii?).. I might have room for a pair of killer heels (for me..) and some holiday knickers...! Too much information? :D

timmylish
13-04-2014, 03:00
So.... On THIS trip I'm bringing 2 ereaders (one is a gift, the other is a replacement for a friend who dropped hers..), 2 Bluetooth speakers, a dogs collar and a couple of haggis (or is that haggii?).. I might have room for a pair of killer heels (for me..) and some holiday knickers...! Too much information? :D

You told me you,ve never worn knickers whilst on holiday!

Susief
13-04-2014, 07:40

I have to say that the offer made by you is incredibly kind, not to say thoughtful which, I may well use soon, if I may. I think that in addition to your opening the item, a copy of the order form from, say Amazon, gives you a clear indication of the item to be brought over. As I said I am thinking along these lines!
Meantime, whether I take up your kind offer, many thanks. And this is from someone who has used Amazon extensively and only been crucified twice.

I have brought things out and taken back for people and not a problem.
I am out 7 May if anybody got any smallish items bringing out.

I took out clothes and chocs to NZ recently for a friends daughter. I just insisted that she didn't wrap anything and declared choc at customs.

Jabba43
14-04-2014, 12:57
There is a min amount of 22 euro I think, so even if you order something with less than you think you can get charged anyway. I guess this is a way of "stopping" people putting less than the real value of the goods and the taxman is guaranteed 22 euro per order.

I say 'can" because sometimes they charge it, sometimes not. They are very inconsistent.

Kinney61
14-04-2014, 13:24

I am having a very boring day at work and your post made me laugh..thanks! Maybe we should start a new thread "Whats in Your Suitcase?"!!!!

deepdivejunkie
14-04-2014, 17:40
When buying online from the UK from companies like Amazon etc. I always get the parcel sent to a friend or relative in England, who then forward it to me by normal post, so don't get hit for any charges if it happened to come by carrier.