PDA

View Full Version : Employment Will there be any jobs in Tenerife in September?

3annabella
24-01-2014, 20:49
Hi

I am going to Tenerife in September and hoping to find work either in a bar club or restaurant.
I was wondering if there was any way that I would be able to start looking or apply for a job from home before I go over to live there...

Any information would be a help

Thank you

Annie

carwyn99
26-01-2014, 16:26
Tenerife like the rest of Spain have a very high rate of unemployment.

I think you will be very lucky to find a job except if you have a unique skill and am fluent in Spanish.

Make sure if you move you have enough money to last you for a few years.

lynnangela
26-01-2014, 18:33
I think its highly unlikely that you will secure a job prior to coming out to Tenerife, you need to be here and do the rounds to see if there is anything available. For bar work its unlikely also that you will get one job that will pay enough to live on, bars seem to employ on a very part time basis, so you may need 2 jobs to make ends meet. Use the time before you come to learn as much Spanish as you can and to save as much money as you can. I wouldn't say you need money to last you a few years, but certainly 6 months minimum.

3annabella
28-01-2014, 02:17
I think its highly unlikely that you will secure a job prior to coming out to Tenerife, you need to be here and do the rounds to see if there is anything available. For bar work its unlikely also that you will get one job that will pay enough to live on, bars seem to employ on a very part time basis, so you may need 2 jobs to make ends meet. Use the time before you come to learn as much Spanish as you can and to save as much money as you can. I wouldn't say you need money to last you a few years, but certainly 6 months minimum.

Thanks ! How much do you think would be enough to last 6months?

maxandrew
28-01-2014, 06:18
Yes i also think so ......

Muppet
28-01-2014, 10:01
Thanks ! How much do you think would be enough to last 6months?

Depends entirely on your life-style, but a grand a month would be the minimum for rent and eating

lynnangela
28-01-2014, 12:21
Bar work seems to pay around €5 per hour If you can get work, so reckon on earning no more than €200 a week, that seems to be about the wage you can expect for full time work. Your rent is going to be your major outgoing, and varies according to where you live. You can get a small place in Los Abrigos for €350 to €400 per month, but that's not a lot of good if you are working in Los Cristianos or Las Americas. Rents there can be around €500 to €600. If you can share then that helps as long as your sharer pays their part of the rent!

If you come out with around a minimum of €5000 to €6000 in the bank to get you through six months, but you have to live as if you are at home and not on a six month holiday because it wont last long if you do! if you party you are going to need considerably more. Leave some with a relative for emergencies such as the cost of a flight home.

You are also going to have to think about things like health insurance and being legal in Tenerife.