PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Newbie asks is there a community life in Tenerife.

firebirdbw
28-01-2014, 00:33
just stayed in Los Cristianos for 3 weeks, nice place but could not find any community spirit (I did visit as a tourist) the bars were horrible (no drink no seat, at the 39 bar ugh !), I am seriously thinking of buying a place in Tenerife, please tell me if you think your area, has the best community spirit, and good bars, I will move there !

LUCKY
28-01-2014, 01:06
just stayed in Los Cristianos for 3 weeks, nice place but could not find any community spirit (I did visit as a tourist) the bars were horrible (no drink no seat, at the 39 bar ugh !), I am seriously thinking of buying a place in Tenerife, please tell me if you think your area, has the best community spirit, and good bars, I will move there !
:flatcap:
Lower GDS Opps just noticed you said you move there. Apparently It is the best kept secret Lower GDS

firebirdbw
28-01-2014, 11:14
Ta for a reply , scuse my ignorance( Lower GDS Opps) what/where is that ?

Malteser Monkey
28-01-2014, 11:23
Ta for a reply , scuse my ignorance( Lower GDS Opps) what/where is that ?

That's what we are all trying to work out :lol:

You arrive at upper GDS then head south til you reach the beach:D

firebirdbw
28-01-2014, 11:46
very funny, so where is upper GDS ?

junglejim
28-01-2014, 11:47
You are being whooshed !

firebirdbw
28-01-2014, 12:02
nice one !!

Malteser Monkey
28-01-2014, 12:02
very funny, so where is upper GDS ?

360 deg turn and up a bit

Sorry welcome to the forum - we are a very friendly bunch here (well most of us:wink2:)

Maybe areas away from the tourist resorts.

Buzanada, Valle San Lorenzo, Adeje, San Miguel, Las Chafiras ?

Some more will be on later - hopefully they will give you more info

lynnangela
28-01-2014, 12:52
Community spirit is where you want it to be, you just have to have an open mind. Sometimes, YOU have to be the community spirit and drag other people along! also you have to bear in mind than what one group of people see as community spirit ,another group might view it as being cliquey. Also, community spirit (as such) comes from a stable group whereas Tenerife is very fluid with people coming for 2 weeks and then disappearing again. A good and sociable barman can make a huge difference. Bar 180 in San Blas is a great example where Robin and his wife Lynn welcome everyone with very open arms, and almost drag you into their 'family'. Im sure there are many others around too. Anywhere you get a great host you will get a great welcoming atmosphere and a sense of belonging.

You can do a lot yourself, Lucky on this forum for instance has arranged a couple of meetups in San Blas, and a great time was had by all. We had never met him and his wife before but have now become firm friends! I have organised a photography club/group thing and have about 7 or 8 people going on a trip to Vilaflor in Feb (you are all welcome to join us!) Sometimes you have to make that effort yourself, make it happen, don't wait for it to happen.

atlantico
28-01-2014, 20:37
but to answer the question. GDS is Golf del Sur - the place you look down at when coming into landing ! Lol

Many residents of Costa del Silencio will agree that there's a massive community spirit there - just as many other areas

9PLUS
28-01-2014, 21:54
GDS is shyte

x

LUCKY
28-01-2014, 22:08
GDS is shyte

x

AH but Lower GDS ! Is The centre of my Universe:flatcap:

Ecky Thump
28-01-2014, 22:24
GDS is shyte

x

Ah!, but very quiet and reserved shyte .:lol:

EricN
30-01-2014, 20:33
A bit unfair on Bar 39, it is a nightclub venue with two live music shows per night. Hence the few extra cents on the booze and the no drink no seat rule. Never been billed as a community pub, it doesn't even open during the daytime. I think the previous advice of buying in a residential area would be your best bet, as the El Mirador strip pub goers would change weekly. Although at home here in UK my community spirit is not based around the pub more with local clubs, neighbours etc. I go to the pub for spirit of a different kind.

firebirdbw
30-01-2014, 21:21
what I meant, was it is the Bar 39 staff attitude to enforcing the rule, they are so nasty about it, it was embarrassing.

Thanks for your other advice.