PDA

View Full Version : The Meridian Isle of El Hierro New Member

Hepa
30-01-2014, 18:13
Hello to all out there,

I live on the island of El Hierro and have done so for quite a number of years, however if I look out from my garden, on a clear day I can see Tenerife, La Gomera and sometimes the peaks of Gran Canaria.

El Hierro is the best kept secret in Spain, unspoiled, well almost, a beautiful island, a little smaller than the Isle of Wight. Pine forests, lava flows, dry stone walls, blue lagoons, pineapple and banana plantations, spectacular views.

There are only four U.K. residents on the island, hardly anybody speaks English, very few tourists arrive, but those who do usually return, night life is almost none existent, a few bars, some restaurants serving Canarian and South American cuisine, pork pies, haddock and chips, none here, I have to make my own.

We do get Hikers and Scuba Divers here, the island has a good network of footpaths and I am informed that the diving is second to none.

Me, I am a retired old git, I used to live near Huddersfield, well some one had to, I spend my time pottering in my large garden, walking in our splendid countryside, and having a pint or two with the locals, who are incidentally fantastic people with a great sense of humour.

Should anyone have any queries about this place, I will help if I can,

Hepa

LUCKY
30-01-2014, 19:25
Hi and welcome to the forum🌎

rosemary
30-01-2014, 23:21
What an interesting post! Welcome and thankyou. What about these earthquakes? How do they affect you? Psychologically.

poker
30-01-2014, 23:42
Welcome , do you grow any pineapples youreself ?

slodgedad
31-01-2014, 00:01
Hi, Hepa and :welcome: to the Forum.

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2014, 10:25
Oh wonderful ! Welcome from me - hope you'll stay with us !:hello:

Would love to see some pics of your views if that would be possible ?

Hepa
31-01-2014, 13:08
Welcome , do you grow any pineapples youreself ?

No I am too high in the hills!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Oh wonderful ! Welcome from me - hope you'll stay with us !:hello:

Would love to see some pics of your views if that would be possible ?

I have an album, but for some unknown reason I cannot post the link on this site?

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2014, 13:31
I have an album, but for some unknown reason I cannot post the link on this site?

MAybe you need a few more posts before you are able - no worries I can wait:D

Hepa
31-01-2014, 13:50
How many posts do I need?

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2014, 13:55
I'm not sure I thought it was 10 - had a quick look in the T & C's but I can't see
admin

let's see if they can help.....

Hepa
31-01-2014, 14:03
What an interesting post! Welcome and thankyou. What about these earthquakes? How do they affect you? Psychologically.

Actually we are now used to them, at first when the volcano erupted, all the hippies and tree huggers left on the first ferry, I was somewhat apprehensive, but after a while it all became very interesting, we daily visited the cliffs above La Restinga and watched the Ocean turn green and the volcano hurling pyroclast rocks into the air.

Our house has shuddered a couple of times a few stones rattled in the roof, but honestly I worry more when it rains for the heavy rain causes more landslides and road closures.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I will try again Photos to El Hierro on the below link

https://plus.google.com/photos/109554244082575937272/albums/5598418677482639217?banner=pwa

primrose
31-01-2014, 14:21
It looks lovely, what are the blue flowers on the Photographs?.:)

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2014, 14:33
Thank you that made my lunch break very interesting. Fantastic photos canarybird there's some competition hun:D

Una Isla muy bonita

Hepa
31-01-2014, 18:01
It looks lovely, what are the blue flowers on the Photographs?.:)

I believe they are Echium Plantagineum, or Taginaste, a pretty weed