PDA

View Full Version : How can I repay a friend for driving me around?

languagefan
31-01-2014, 15:15
Hi there,

I need to buy some stuff from different shops in Santa Cruz for a couple of days and a friend is kindly offering to drive me (in a normal city car) back and forth and doesnt want any money. He also says that he won't need anything for petrol as well!
I however can't accept him to drive me around and go to shops, and pay for petrol etc without paying for his time, car and petrol.
What is a fair fare/hour that I can offer him (inclusive of petrol) for giving me a hand to drive? If he ends up not accepting I may end up buying a present equivalent of his time.
Any ideas?

shawy
31-01-2014, 16:27
If hes said already he doesnt want money he probably wont accept it. I dont know what a fair rate would be but if it was me id just get a present something like a goody bag or basket. Bottle of wine, chocolates or anything he likes. :)

Malteser Monkey
31-01-2014, 16:31
or treat him to a slap up meal sometime:yum:

languagefan
31-01-2014, 16:45
Thanks, but that I know myself!!
However, I know that he lives a simple and frugal life and even a tiny bit of money would be good for him. I can always leave it at his place with a thank u post card and he will most probably be ok with it. I don't know exactly how many hours and days I'd need his help so I think it'd be fair on both of us, and will put my mind to rest.
So any ideas?

Sundowner
31-01-2014, 17:48
Offer him petrol money, if he refuses, remember you owe him a favour, friends don't charge for helping their friends. If you insist you might offend him!

mike in chayofa
31-01-2014, 18:12
You can't legally pay him for this. Not only is it against the law, but it would invalidate his insurance.

You can legally get him to fill up the car before you start and then you pay to fill it up on your return.

You can pay him for any advice that he gives you :whistle: although depending on his 'work' status, this too may be illegal.

You could give him money or a gift as an early birthday present/Easter present etc etc but if he really doesn't want paying, all you can do is accept graciously and remember that you owe him one.

Suej
31-01-2014, 19:30
Hi there,

I need to buy some stuff from different shops in Santa Cruz for a couple of days and a friend is kindly offering to drive me (in a normal city car) back and forth and doesnt want any money. He also says that he won't need anything for petrol as well!
I however can't accept him to drive me around and go to shops, and pay for petrol etc without paying for his time, car and petrol.
What is a fair fare/hour that I can offer him (inclusive of petrol) for giving me a hand to drive? If he ends up not accepting I may end up buying a present equivalent of his time.
Any ideas?

You could buy him a gift voucher of some kind!:wink2:

lynnangela
31-01-2014, 19:35
Such a difficult situation, but look on it as a gift that he really wants to give you. You wouldn't pay someone for a gift so don't insist of paying anything for this, but see it as a favour to be returned. You could ask again if you could pay for some petrol, and tell him that it would make you happy to do so, but other than that I would leave it at that.

9PLUS
31-01-2014, 20:22
just take a bus and drink your own champagne.............................ffs

cheers

x

Stoney
31-01-2014, 20:56
Difficult one this as I would say the same thing as he has, if has said he doesn't want anything then do as he says, although you will no doubt feel wrong doing it, accept what is obviously help from a true friend. When you finished take him for a coffee/tea or beer and insist on paying saying it will make you feel better and its a thank you from one true friend to another.

Krisstina
03-02-2014, 19:47
Cook him a nice meal.: