PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Hi, I'm a newbie on the Tenerife forum thinking of retiring there

Philhull
31-01-2014, 21:22
Hi all, I have joined this forum as the wife and I are looking to retire to somewhere warm in the next few years and Tenerife seems to tick all the boxes, climate, scenery, EU etc and just want to gather a bit of info. We have only been to Tenerife once and it was a high rise, all inclusive hotel and to be quite honest it wasn't the best holiday we've ever had. We would like to know which location on the island is best as indeed is Tenerife the best Canary island to retire to?.
We would initially prefer to 'long term rent' and rent our property out in the UK so would also like to know typical cost of renting and if there are any good rental website to have a look at.

Regards Phil & Michelle

Hepa
01-02-2014, 13:17
You are wise to rent, at first I fancied retiring on Gran Canaria, still love the island, but in 1995 I discovered the island of El Hierro, and here I am and have been for a number of years.

Each island is different to the others, from the dry eastern isles, to the lush western islands, it is a difficult choice, but if you are renting you can move elsewhere if the one you are on does not meet expectations.

The link below shows you photos of where we live, and where there are only four English residents.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109554244082575937272/albums/5598418677482639217?banner=pwa

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just noticed that you are also from the broad acres!!

LUCKY
01-02-2014, 13:21
You are wise to rent, at first I fancied retiring on Gran Canaria, still love the island, but in 1995 I discovered the island of El Hierro, and here I am and have been for a number of years.

Each island is different to the others, from the dry eastern isles, to the lush western islands, it is a difficult choice, but if you are renting you can move elsewhere if the one you are on does not meet expectations.

The link below shows you photos of where we live, and where there are only four English residents.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109554244082575937272/albums/5598418677482639217?banner=pwa

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just noticed that you are also from the broad acres!!

My goodness you have been busy with your camera :flatcap:

Philhull
01-02-2014, 22:37
Thanks for the reply Hepa, some stunning scenery and some more reminiscent of the Uk, it looks quite sparsely populated and quiet but good for trekking. I think we need to come over to the Canaries and do a good recce, we like our amenities but at the same time don't want to have the tourists too close, if you know what I mean. Would like to hear from somebody who is based in Tenerife, maybe the northern part with regards to typical long term rental prices.
Can you get satellite tv out there and what are the costs?

Jabba43
02-02-2014, 09:32
The south has the better climate, it rains too much in the north but the upside to that it looks more green and tropical. If you chose the south do not go too far east as it gets too windy, also if you go inland be aware the temperature drops so the winters may not be too comfortable at night. I think someone mentioned recently 1 degree for every 100m.

To be honest if you live near the motorway in the south it is 10 minutes to almost anywhere. If you like to be near the sea, get somewhere near the sea, if you want to be away from the tourists chose somewhere like Chayofa, Cabo, blanco Buzanada, La Camella. Chayofa being full of Northern Europeans, the others are more Spanish( Canarian) with local blokes hanging out in Cafes and everyday life going on around you.

Cannot speak for the North but it is far more Spanish.

Here are some rentals in Arona

http://www.enalquiler.com/alquiler-pisos-arona-41-2-0-3306.html

Hepa
02-02-2014, 13:01
Thanks for the reply Hepa, some stunning scenery and some more reminiscent of the Uk, it looks quite sparsely populated and quiet but good for trekking. I think we need to come over to the Canaries and do a good recce, we like our amenities but at the same time don't want to have the tourists too close, if you know what I mean. Would like to hear from somebody who is based in Tenerife, maybe the northern part with regards to typical long term rental prices.
Can you get satellite tv out there and what are the costs?

No English T.V. here, satellite? Nay lad, we have only just getten electricity and flush toilets:D Seriously though the population is 7000, four English, and when we run out of stuff we can't get here, it is a 30 to 45 minute flight to Tenerife or Gran Canaria

essexeddie
02-02-2014, 18:46
South Tenerife for me any day, had an apartment here for 28years now.

clivey
02-02-2014, 22:24
South Tenerife for me any day, had an apartment here for 28years now.

How are the prices of apartments doing in real terms just now anyway. I don`t seem to see many selling that fast . Surely a good thing for anyone thinking of buying.

LUCKY
02-02-2014, 22:44
How are the prices of apartments doing in real terms just now anyway. I don`t seem to see many selling that fast . Surely a good thing for anyone thinking of buying.

Answer to part 2 Correct and Part 3 Yes:flatcap:

Rickiebear
02-02-2014, 23:00
Hi, before we bought we had many holidays in Tenerife. I first visited Tenerife early 70s. We chose north Tenerife as I wanted a more traditional and local feel. We eventually bought just outside Puerto de la Cruz, still walking distance, but in a residential area, rather than a tourist area.

We feel we have the best of both worlds, close enough to all the amenities, but far enough away.

Jabba43
03-02-2014, 08:47

Depends what it is on the market for and where it is located. Stuff stills sells here as long as it is priced right. There are always people looking to buy.

essexeddie
03-02-2014, 19:42

They don't stay for sale for long on our complex. none at the mo

Not that I would live here permanently, I like it in Essex/London but only in the summer ;-)

LUCKY
03-02-2014, 20:11
I love the view of Essex but only from Yorkshire or Tenerife😎

alexdpop
03-02-2014, 21:52
hi folks me and my partner are looking to move to adeje by the end of this year and we are looking for a long term rent. villa prefered with pool and two bedrooms. we are willing to pay 1 years rent in advance if you have or know anybody that has a place to rent please get in touch.... many thanks ... glenn and alex

03-02-2014, 22:14
hi folks me and my partner are looking to move to adeje by the end of this year and we are looking for a long term rent. villa prefered with pool and two bedrooms. we are willing to pay 1 years rent in advance if you have or know anybody that has a place to rent please get in touch.... many thanks ... glenn and alex

Why not start your own thread HERE (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?103-Long-lets-in-Tenerife) with your requirements. It will be seen by more members plus Google

LUCKY
03-02-2014, 23:04
Why not start your own thread HERE (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?103-Long-lets-in-Tenerife) with your requirements. It will be seen by more members plus Google

Plus google you say............... You mean it goes further than Lower GDS. (REALLY):flatcap:

slodgedad
03-02-2014, 23:44
Plus google you say............... You mean it goes further than Lower GDS. (REALLY):flatcap:

I know that a lot of people get upset when titles are changed and threads are moved but, the Forum is so recognized by Google that your request will be seen by many more than Forum members.

If everything was left in 'Chat' then we would be a small club rather than the international knowledge base for all things 'Tenerife'

LUCKY
04-02-2014, 09:48
I know that a lot of people get upset when titles are changed and threads are moved but, the Forum is so recognized by Google that your request will be seen by many more than Forum members.

If everything was left in 'Chat' then we would be a small club rather than the international knowledge base for all things 'Tenerife'

WOW............................................... ........................................:flatcap:

essexeddie
04-02-2014, 17:38
I love the view of Essex but only from Yorkshire or Tenerife��

I love Yorkshire, its like going back in time :-)

LUCKY
04-02-2014, 22:12
I love Yorkshire, its like going back in time :-)

It certainly is, and its a lot cheaper. I was reading The readers Digest in our local dentist, and it said we were going to be using the Decimal currency shortly.:flatcap:

essexeddie
05-02-2014, 17:49
It certainly is, and its a lot cheaper. I was reading The readers Digest in our local dentist, and it said we were going to be using the Decimal currency shortly.:flatcap:

Get away!! lol