PDA

View Full Version : Other Increased cost of holidays outside of school term times

life is short
02-02-2014, 13:07
As reported by BBC news Paul Cookson made a post on his Facebook page titled “school holiday rant” after trying to book a holiday with his daughter. He was surprised by the response:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25894902

If you, your family and friends experience the same problem why not sign the e-petition (link below) calling for government action and share this with everyone:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46455

Thank you.

lima2001
25-02-2014, 21:25
The reason school holidays are more expensive is because the tour operators have to make up for the losses due to empty seats and rooms. The reason travel is so affordable for us Brits is because tour operators run flights in 6 monthly cycles and they cost it up based on demand hence more expensive for peak dates. If this legislation went through most airlines and travel companies would go bankrupt. My advice to families is to book as far in advance as possible when the holiday prices are at their cheapest. I always book my Tenerife holiday through a1travel.com (http://www.a1travel.com) and my long haul holidays through dial a flight.

minimadmandy
26-02-2014, 00:03
Families taking their holidays supplement the cheaper flights for the rest of the year, this has always been the way they operate and I can't see it changing. however airlines do sometimes rip them off as well. We have always booked our holidays about a year if not more in advance and flinch at the prices we are having to pay for flights to Tenerife in the school holidays, compared when we have travelled at other times. Tried in November to book flights for October half term 2014. Managed to get outward bound for £250 each but cheapest return flight on the sat was 400 euros each!! If we travel three days later in school term time it's 175 euros. We use various web sites to monitor flights so I know how to shop around but that price is just blatant ripping customers off. We have decided to wait to see what flight are released in the next few months by other airlines.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Families taking their holidays supplement the cheaper flights for the rest of the year, this has always been the way they operate and I can't see it changing. however airlines do sometimes rip them off as well. We have always booked our holidays about a year if not more in advance and flinch at the prices we are having to pay for flights to Tenerife in the school holidays, compared when we have travelled at other times. Tried in November to book flights for October half term 2014. Managed to get outward bound for £250 each but cheapest return flight on the sat was 400 euros each!! If we travel three days later in school term time it's 175 euros. We use various web sites to monitor flights so I know how to shop around but that price is just blatant ripping customers off. We have decided to wait to see what flight are released in the next few months by other airlines or we will just have to stay and not come home!!:lol:

delderek
26-02-2014, 13:55
To coin a phrase its "Supply & Demand". never been any different and never will be. It is the same whatever type of business it is. Maximise your profits when you can. Flowers around Valentines day. Christmas shopping, rail fares in rush hours, etc,etc.