PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the charge of 5p for plastic bags?

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 11:54
What do Member's think of this charge regardless of where you live.

We have had the charge here in Wales for a year or 2 now (maybe longer) and I think it's working really well. All shops charge regardless of size and staffing, it certainly makes you more aware of what you do with them:tiphat:

Actually the only shop I use that doesn't charge is the butcher's - i suppose for obvious reasons:laugh:

JaBBa
06-02-2014, 12:13
As long the quality of some bags improve,just about put stuff in some of them....

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 12:17
As long the quality of some bags improve,just about put stuff in some of them....

that doesn't appear to matter here

JaBBa
06-02-2014, 12:23
that doesn't appear to matter here

Do you mean you have quality bags most of the time,i use Tesco's alot the quality of there bags have dropped since last year....

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 12:31
Do you mean you have quality bags most of the time,i use Tesco's alot the quality of there bags have dropped since last year....

you can get good ones say from Debenhams/M&S etc but then you still have to pay the same in Morrison/Tescos etc for those rubbish ones. You can pay more for better quality ones "bags for life" :whistle: and just reuse them that's what we do.

JaBBa
06-02-2014, 12:37
"bags for life" :whistle:

It must a man thing then, can't be seen walking with one of them....lol

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 12:40

They're all different - colours, shapes and sizes:laugh:

JaBBa
06-02-2014, 12:42
They're all different - colours, shapes and sizes:laugh:

They usually are....:whistle:

fesdie
06-02-2014, 13:15

Everyone here carries the Mercadona bags for life, women, children & men!! :crylaughing:

JaBBa
06-02-2014, 13:18
Everyone here carries the Mercadona bags for life, women, children & men!! :crylaughing:

I might have to when i get there....:laugh:

primrose
06-02-2014, 13:21
you can get good ones say from Debenhams/M&S etc but then you still have to pay the same in Morrison/Tescos etc for those rubbish ones. You can pay more for better quality ones "bags for life" :whistle: and just reuse them that's what we do.

I get the bags for life have lots of them cause I forget to take them with me every time I go shopping.

fesdie
06-02-2014, 13:24

Well if you do, don't be like me and forget it every time I go to Mercadona, the end result being I have enough bags for life to literally last me a life time!!

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 13:25

you'll have to learn the "bag for life" walk - you sort of swagger:crylaughing:

I don't appear to have any thanks buttons now !

Boyface
06-02-2014, 13:28

Mine are already packed in the suitcase, I can't wait to use them again!!

obs
06-02-2014, 13:43
I get the bags for life have lots of them cause I forget to take them with me every time I go shopping.

It's probably an age thing primrose ...... :whistle: :hide:

primrose
06-02-2014, 13:47
It's probably an age thing primrose ...... :whistle: :hide:

You are so right.:old:

9PLUS
06-02-2014, 16:04
I idea behind the 5p plastic bag charge, is that you "don't" actually buy them.

It's to provoke you to take your own bag/s.

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 16:05
I idea behind the 5p plastic bag charge, is that you "don't" actually buy them.

It's to provoke you to take your own bag/s.

Ahhh but you have to have some to start with

9PLUS
06-02-2014, 16:09
as in "something other than cheapo plastic bags"

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 16:11
as in "something other than cheapo plastic bags"

cheapo or free ?

primrose
06-02-2014, 16:14
Ahhh but you have to have some to start with

And then remember themrolleyes2:

Tom & Sharon
06-02-2014, 18:57
I've got some bags for life in Tenerife, and sometimes I take them, and sometimes I don't. I use plastic bags for rubbish, and don't mind paying for them. I am not environmentally friendly. I thnk it's a bit of a con. If they're that bothered, why not make them all bio degradable? But they don't!

If I need bags for rubbish, I leave my bags for life at home and buy them. If I've got enough, I take them ( if I remember!)

In the UK, I have no bags for life. I refuse to walk about carrying them like a bag lady! They're free in most shops anyway, I only buy them for my M&S shop, and they're only 5p anyway!

delderek
06-02-2014, 19:44
Everyone seems to think supermarkets, ( and many people do take reusable bags correctly) but as I read it applies to all stores. So buy a new coat or something electrical, and you will be charged 5p for something that actually costs .001 of a penny. And do you really want to carry bags all the time just in case of an impulse purchase. So where is the money going? Sounds like a stitch up to me.:whistle:

slodgedad
06-02-2014, 20:20
Whether or not there is a case for profiteering (4p), I think it's a great idea.

My shopping habits have certainly changed.

I used to get back from the supermarket with as many as 15 bags, which all went in the bin.Now I make sure I take bags.

Thinking back I'm horrified at the amount of plastic I've contributed to landfill. Then again we weren't made aware.

golf birdie
06-02-2014, 20:30
I just buy one item at a time so no need for any bags.....

LUCKY
06-02-2014, 20:39
Whether or not there is a case for profiteering (4p), I think it's a great idea.

I used to get back from the supermarket with as many as 15 bags, which all went in the bin.Now I make sure I take bags.

Thinking back I'm horrified at the amount of plastic I've contributed to landfill. Then again we weren't made aware.

Mercadona do not charge me for bags, Ok the delivery is 7 euro 21.and the big bags that are delivered in trays sure make useful bin liners.I always get free carrier bags when shopping elsewhere, Because these too do make good bin liners, I had a discussion with a check out operator in Wales a couple of year over charging for carriers , and said once they start charging i would use black bin liners they are cheaper, Enviroment.... Think not as they will still sell bin liners:flatcap:

primrose
06-02-2014, 20:44
I have just been shopping at Mercadona and Iceland and bought 13 bags, I forgot them again.Iceland bags can never be used more than once they are always full of holes by the time I get them home they are cheap and nasty and I don't know how they have the cheek to charge for them.

Malteser Monkey
06-02-2014, 22:56
Everyone seems to think supermarkets, ( and many people do take reusable bags correctly) but as I read it applies to all stores. So buy a new coat or something electrical, and you will be charged 5p for something that actually costs .001 of a penny. And do you really want to carry bags all the time just in case of an impulse purchase. So where is the money going? Sounds like a stitch up to me.:whistle:

Del it's to stop everyone just dumping stuff in the countryside or just in streets. I'm a city girl but out here there used to be bags hanging from trees and everywhere.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I've got some bags for life in Tenerife, and sometimes I take them, and sometimes I don't. I use plastic bags for rubbish, and don't mind paying for them. I am not environmentally friendly. I thnk it's a bit of a con. If they're that bothered, why not make them all bio degradable? But they don't!

If I need bags for rubbish, I leave my bags for life at home and buy them. If I've got enough, I take them ( if I remember!)

In the UK, I have no bags for life. I refuse to walk about carrying them like a bag lady! They're free in most shops anyway, I only buy them for my M&S shop, and they're only 5p anyway!

Bag lady oh ok thanks - so I'm trying to make a bit of an impact for my adopted grandkids - not seeing all these bags floating round streets. I'm in Wales have you been to London recently ?

I concur muchas gracias :bowdown:

I have just been shopping at Mercadona and Iceland and bought 13 bags, I forgot them again.Iceland bags can never be used more than once they are always full of holes by the time I get them home they are cheap and nasty and I don't know how they have the cheek to charge for them.

Call me next time you go I'll remind you my number is 07~~~~~~~:D

Tom & Sharon
06-02-2014, 23:55
Haha MM, but they do look like bag ladies! Bringing out a crumpled up, raggedy old carrier from my handbag is not for me I'm afraid.

I don't feel guilty, I'm convinced it's claptrap. If I didn't use carriers for the rubbish, what would I do? That's right, I'd buy a bin bag. What's the difference?

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 00:02
Oi that's me you're talking about - and now't to be ashamed of bringin' 'em out of me Moschino's in fact it brings street cred hun

:D

primrose
07-02-2014, 00:05
Haha MM, but they do look like bag ladies! Bringing out a crumpled up, raggedy old carrier from my handbag is not for me I'm afraid.

I don't feel guilty, I'm convinced it's claptrap. If I didn't use carriers for the rubbish, what would I do? That's right, I'd buy a bin bag. What's the difference?

It is clap trap it's not long ago it showed on TV how people were sorting their rubbish and the Council were sending it all to landfill.

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 00:08
It is clap trap it's not long ago it showed on TV how people were sorting their rubbish and the Council were sending it all to landfill.

Ohhh whatever close this thread - stuff the children and the future I won't be here anyway :whistle:

I tried give me that :bootyshake:
admin close thread

Tom & Sharon
07-02-2014, 09:45
I love the reason for your edit MM :crylaughing:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 10:11
I love the reason for your edit MM :crylaughing:

My aim in life is amongst other things, raise...................a smile:D

yes but which word was substituted/removed - it starts with an F for Friday:whistle:

LUCKY
07-02-2014, 11:12
My aim in life is amongst other things, raise...................a smile:D

yes but which word was substituted/removed - it starts with an F for Friday:whistle:

So now the cat's out of the bag:flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 11:26
So now the cat's out of the bag:flatcap:

one for life or a 5p one - talking of 5p where's Fivepence

primrose
07-02-2014, 11:43
Ohhh whatever close this thread - stuff the children and the future I won't be here anyway :whistle:

I tried give me that :bootyshake:
admin close thread

This has to be one of your best posts and edit's ever.:crylaughing::devil2:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 11:50
This has to be one of your best posts and edit's ever.:crylaughing::devil2:

Really ? Blimey ! I'll have to come on late at night more often !

I always thought that mine and pollyee 's posts about the nipple rings and marigolds was the funniest - hey ho !

anyway Morning !

primrose
07-02-2014, 12:24
Really ? Blimey ! I'll have to come on late at night more often !

I always thought that mine and pollyee 's posts about the nipple rings and marigolds was the funniest - hey ho !

anyway Morning !

Morning, Can't remember that,oh dear that's something else I can't remember.:doh:and only the other day somebody told me I had a memory like a computer, going down hill fast.

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 12:33
Morning, Can't remember that,oh dear that's something else I can't remember.:doh:and only the other day somebody told me I had a memory like a computer, going down hill fast.

it were ont'other old forum.com so don't worry !

Suej
07-02-2014, 13:17

You have to turn computers on for them to work primrose! Maybe you just need a new plug!:wink2:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 13:25
You have to turn computers on for them to work primrose! Maybe you just need a new plug!:wink2:

I wondered where you were going then - Primrose will need a lie down now !:whistle::crylaughing:

melm
07-02-2014, 13:39
I leave my re-usable shopping bags in the car so they are always available when I go supermarket shopping. If I need extra bags no charge is made. Don't recall ever being charged in any store irrespective of what I purchase, although I was charged during my recent holiday in Tenerife. TK Maxx did introduce a charge for their bags but it didn't last for long.

Rightly or wrongly we try and recycle our rubbish. Bag lady that's me........am always taking surplus poly bags to Tesco's to be recycled ....bottles to the bottle bank......clothes to the charity shop etc. Hope it makes a difference:dontknow:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 13:46
Not in Scotland hun - only in Wales at the mo but they want to bring it to England

Ecky Thump
07-02-2014, 14:31
Not in Scotland hun - only in Wales at the mo but they want to bring it to England

W H Smith also M&S charge in Scotland.....you should see the size of the mens sporans!:D

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 14:34
W H Smith also M&S charge in Scotland.....you should see the size of the mens sporans!:D

Ohh right I didn't know !

Surely the women can give them a hand :whistle:

Suej
07-02-2014, 14:35

How about a very manly Roy Cropper bag JaBBa!!! Just the job!:laugh: 5299

Ecky Thump
07-02-2014, 14:37
Ohh right I didn't know !

Surely the women can give them a hand :whistle:

Well the men have their sporans hanging between their legs, so I think they would appreciate the ladies giving the a hand!:crylaughing:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 15:06
Well the men have their sporans hanging between their legs, so I think they would appreciate the ladies giving the a hand!:crylaughing:

Exactamente ! or both if the load is a heavy one:crylaughing:

SueJ ahhhh bechod Hayley :crying2:

bechod = shame, pity

new word of the day pronounced as the ch is in the scottish "och"

melm
07-02-2014, 15:18

thought there were 2 rr's in sporran:wink2: might just make a difference.:laugh:

Havent noticed a charge in M&S is this new?

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 15:23
thought there were 2 rr's in sporran:wink2: might juust make a difference.:laugh:

So many comments :devil2:

I don't want to get banned:whistle:

melm
07-02-2014, 15:26

You....no dangerrolleyes2:

Ecky Thump
07-02-2014, 15:29
thought there were 2 rr's in sporran:wink2: might juust make a difference.:laugh:

Havent noticed a charge in M&S is this new?

Definitely two R's in Sporran.:o

M&S food department have been charging for the bags for about two years and I moan at them every time I buy food from them, there is a sign at the cash out saying that the money goes to a charity.

primrose
07-02-2014, 15:55

If you get banned that would be the end of the Forum.:nono:

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2014, 15:58
If you get banned that would be the end of the Forum.:nono:

If I didn't know you better I'd think you'd had a little drinking session at lunchtime !:D

thank you that's the nicest thing anyone has said:crying2:

I'd have to go and open me own:whistle::laugh:

primrose
07-02-2014, 16:03
:pepsi:
If I didn't know you better I'd think you'd had a little drinking session at lunchtime !:D

thank you that's the nicest thing anyone has said:crying2:

I'd have to go and open me own:whistle::laugh:

I am on the hard stuff today just having a glass of Pepsi Max.:pepsi:

atlantico
08-02-2014, 12:46
in Wales the 5p charge is supposed to be put aside and given to the charity a store elects - whether that actually happens or not is another thing. I assume large supermarkets/business do this, but the small independant shop?

I think it's daft that take-aways also have to do this - they don't even supply proper carrier bags !

We have a shop, but don't sell much that requires a bag, but if we do, we give out a Tescos/Asdas/Morrisons bag - nothing in the law states that we have to charge 5p for a used/2nd hand carrier ! Lol

If they really cared about the environment, they'd have brought out a law that banned plastic carriers in favour of brown paper bags or other biodegradable carriers - simple

Suej
08-02-2014, 13:19
in Wales the 5p charge is supposed to be put aside and given to the charity a store elects - whether that actually happens or not is another thing. I assume large supermarkets/business do this, but the small independant shop?

I think it's daft that take-aways also have to do this - they don't even supply proper carrier bags !

We have a shop, but don't sell much that requires a bag, but if we do, we give out a Tescos/Asdas/Morrisons bag - nothing in the law states that we have to charge 5p for a used/2nd hand carrier ! Lol

If they really cared about the environment, they'd have brought out a law that banned plastic carriers in favour of brown paper bags or other biodegradable carriers - simple

I agree Atlantico! paper bags!!!...get rid of plastic bags completely! it is unbelievable the detrimental effect plastic bags are having on our marine life! let alone all the other nasty issues associated with them!!!:ashamed: