PDA

View Full Version : Other I want to get into self-sufficient farming in Tenerife

whatever
09-02-2014, 19:56
Hi all,
what are my chances to bring to life a self-sufficient farming? I mean if there is any water problems or even problems purchasing a land and get soil, etc.. any suggestions where should i start to look, from english or spanish sources. Im currently living in the UK. Thank you very much

languagefan
09-02-2014, 21:03
Hope this helps:
http://8thlife.net

9PLUS
09-02-2014, 21:24
do they grow weed ?

obs
10-02-2014, 00:14
do they grow weed ?

Bill & Ben spring to mind .......

dear

sundownersvince
10-02-2014, 20:14
Or you could grow mushrooms in a cave mate. Magic....:banana:

Ecky Thump
10-02-2014, 20:29
I wonder what the odds are on this new member bothering to make any more posts, or even bothering to log on to this forum.

One serious reply and the others.........:o

And we wonder why many members have given up on the forum!!!

Susief
10-02-2014, 21:14
I wonder what the odds are on this new member bothering to make any more posts, or even bothering to log on to this forum.

One serious reply and the others.........:o

And we wonder why many members have given up on the forum!!!

It's a real shame when people take over threads and make stupid jokes, surely they should have gone into off topic.
I'm not surprised people don't post anymore.

life is short
10-02-2014, 21:16
Hope this helps:
http://8thlife.net

Looks and sounds Idyllic :)

Ecky Thump
10-02-2014, 21:23
It's a real shame when people take over threads and make stupid jokes, surely they should have gone into off topic.
I'm not surprised people don't post anymore.

There is always room for humour on most threads, but not when it takes over completely and at times, what we see is not humour, but ridicule and belittling of a serious question and I think in the case of a new members post being the target, then we should hold back and let them see that the forum can be a useful tool.

Now Susie, we have both gone off topic!:)

Susief
10-02-2014, 21:25
There is always room for humour on most threads, but not when it takes over completely and at times we see is not humour, but ridicule and belittling of a serious question and I think in the case of a new members post being the target, then we should hold back and let them see that the forum can be a useful tool.

I agree Ecky. It's okay having a laugh and joke but this was a serious thread and the usual fools are scaring off new members.

JaBBa
10-02-2014, 21:35
Hopefully the new member will be back & still see the funny side to the comments, but if i'am honest i was concerned about his user name, that sent alarm bells, but that could just be me...:dontknow:

LUCKY
10-02-2014, 22:02
Yorkshire. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

9PLUS
11-02-2014, 00:02
Thetenerifeforum was real serious all the time blimey is that still running ?

Malteser Monkey
11-02-2014, 11:28
I hold my hands up as I am always the one to see a funny side to a thread but I try and end my jokey comments with a bit of seriousness or an apology.

I feel it's way of inviting them in - making light of things - if someone had turned around and said "why would you want to " or "get real" something like that then that's offensive.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hopefully the new member will be back & still see the funny side to the comments, but if i'am honest i was concerned about his user name, that sent alarm bells, but that could just be me...:dontknow:

yes I thought the same about the name

sundownersvince
11-02-2014, 12:59
I agree Ecky. It's okay having a laugh and joke but this was a serious thread and the usual fools are scaring off new members.

One of the usual 'fools' I may be but not so foolish as to think I could become a farmer in a foreign land. Any sensible person joining a forum would introduce themselves not just dive in with a stupid question. Or maybe he just wants to wind you lot up. Whatever.

9PLUS
11-02-2014, 15:29
Zarion used to use automatic forum poster software that creates a username and posts random questions.

1 / 2 post wonders to get the numbers up.

Ecky Thump
11-02-2014, 16:07
One of the usual 'fools' I may be but not so foolish as to think I could become a farmer in a foreign land. Any sensible person joining a forum would introduce themselves not just dive in with a stupid question. Or maybe he just wants to wind you lot up. Whatever.

Is there anything foolish or stupid in asking the question if he could become self sufficient in Tenerife and asking about the availability of land? I don't think so, it seems to be a legitimate question with no reason to be ridiculed.???

Zarion used to use automatic forum poster software that creates a username and posts random questions.

1 / 2 post wonders to get the numbers up.

Do you think that this thread was started for that reason....to get "the numbers up" if so why.???

amanda
11-02-2014, 17:46
I dont know if anyone remembers a few ago exat date can't remember, but the was a german sect here all living together, they all were all going to jump of mount tiede and commit mas suicide, i believe they were persuaded to come down don't know if anyone remembers this

9PLUS
11-02-2014, 18:26
Do you think that this thread was started for that reason....to get "the numbers up" if so why.???

Where are the 2000 active members ?

I dont know if anyone remembers a few ago exat date can't remember, but the was a german sect here all living together, they all were all going to jump of mount tiede and commit mas suicide, i believe they were persuaded to come down don't know if anyone remembers this

yeah i remember that, a joint task force between the GC and the Nationals stopped it all.

Ecky Thump
11-02-2014, 18:46
Where are the 2000 active members ?.

I don't believe for one second that there are 2000 forum members who are now posting..........my wife is one of them who has not recently posted, but she does read some of the information that has been posted.

9PLUS
11-02-2014, 18:49
Lets just clear one thing up,

I said active members not 2000 forum members who are now posting

there's a subtle difference

kathml
11-02-2014, 19:23
I would reckon that 75% off posts are made by 50/60 members and I think it's a low estimate
Any comments ?

Ecky Thump
11-02-2014, 19:39
I would reckon that 75% off posts are made by 50/60 members and I think it's a low estimate
Any comments ?

I can understand why some members don't post or even log in, if the the sort of response to this new member continues, or is a example of the future responses that we can expect.

warbey
11-02-2014, 21:34
Hi all,
what are my chances to bring to life a self-sufficient farming? I mean if there is any water problems or even problems purchasing a land and get soil, etc.. any suggestions where should i start to look, from english or spanish sources. Im currently living in the UK. Thank you very much

Back on Topic

No Chance..................
x

ribuck
11-02-2014, 21:42
To address the original question, Tenerife must be one of the hardest countries to be a self-sufficient farmer. The soil is fertile but it's hard as hell to work it, and (depending where you are) water is either unreliable or expensive. Mechanization is difficult due to the steep country. You hardly ever see a tractor, for example.

It's no co-incidence that there are vast areas of abandoned crop terraces. Once the tourist dollar arrived in Tenerife, it was a much easier way of living than working the land, and many people abandoned the land in order to service the tourists. In the rural areas, you don't see many young people on the land, just the older generation who can't bear to abandon the family farm.

Having said that, there are some really positive things too. You can buy smallholdings in fertile areas such as the Oratava Valley that are already planted with a range of fruit trees. Add a few chickens and a couple of goats and a vegetable patch and you could have a very nice lifestyle farm. But it's not going to be self-sufficient.

If you really want to be self-sufficient, consider a country which produces more food than it consumes. That rules out places like the UK and Tenerife. It's possible to be self-sufficient somewhere like Chile (and the land is not expensive), but you make sure you get water rights with the land.

Horsedrawn
23-02-2014, 17:13
To address the original question, Tenerife must be one of the hardest countries to be a self-sufficient farmer. The soil is fertile but it's hard as hell to work it, and (depending where you are) water is either unreliable or expensive. Mechanization is difficult due to the steep country. You hardly ever see a tractor, for example.

It's no co-incidence that there are vast areas of abandoned crop terraces. Once the tourist dollar arrived in Tenerife, it was a much easier way of living than working the land, and many people abandoned the land in order to service the tourists. In the rural areas, you don't see many young people on the land, just the older generation who can't bear to abandon the family farm.

Having said that, there are some really positive things too. You can buy smallholdings in fertile areas such as the Oratava Valley that are already planted with a range of fruit trees. Add a few chickens and a couple of goats and a vegetable patch and you could have a very nice lifestyle farm. But it's not going to be self-sufficient.

If you really want to be self-sufficient, consider a country which produces more food than it consumes. That rules out places like the UK and Tenerife. It's possible to be self-sufficient somewhere like Chile (and the land is not expensive), but you make sure you get water rights with the land.
Very much agree with this point. We have a smallholding here in the UK with sheep, ducks and chicks and at one time pigs. The pigs cost a small fortune to feed. Also water is an issue even in England if there is no supply in the field itself. All our water is via a bowser in the field which we refill at home.I love looking after the animals and we are self sufficient in eggs and lamb but that is all. I admire people who make it work but it is a full time job to support a very basic lifestyle.