PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Do any supermarkets in Las Chafiras sell quark?

karinagal
10-02-2014, 23:09
I'm looking to have some on hand for some recipes when I come over in a few weeks. Can anyone help?

Karina

Greg
10-02-2014, 23:22
wotisit???????

karinagal
10-02-2014, 23:25
It's like a soft cheese... It's low fat...

canarybird
11-02-2014, 00:37
Lidle sells quark but I don't know if there's a Lidle in that area. I live in Puerto de la Cruz and buy quark in my local Lidle as well as in Suma, which used to be Supermercado 2000 in La Paz.

karinagal
11-02-2014, 01:33
Lidle sells quark but I don't know if there's a Lidle in that area. I live in Puerto de la Cruz and buy quark in my local Lidle as well as in Suma, which used to be Supermercado 2000 in La Paz.

Thanks CB! Sounds like I might be in luck! :D

Ecky Thump
11-02-2014, 10:30
If you can't find Quark you can generally substitute it in most recipes by using cottage cheese.....so the wife says!:p

Suej
11-02-2014, 11:22

Yes CB there is a Lidl in Las Chafiras! I have to say I have never heard of this cheese! is it Goat's cheese?eek2:

Ecky Thump
11-02-2014, 11:43
Yes CB there is a Lidl in Las Chafiras! I have to say I have never heard of this cheese! is it Goat's cheese?eek2:

It's a soft very low fat cheese made from milk/whey that's mainly used for cooking, I think it originates from the Middle East.

karinagal
11-02-2014, 14:28
I'm not sure that I would use cottage cheese - is that not usually lumpy? I follow Weight Watchers Filling and Healthy eating plan and have a recipe for lemon curd that uses Quark. It's healthier than jam and is lovely on toast or crumpets! Because it's made from fresh ingredients, it doesn't have a long life and I'll need to make it in small quantities so that it doesn't go off! :D

Kinney61
11-02-2014, 14:52
I'm not sure that I would use cottage cheese - is that not usually lumpy? I follow Weight Watchers Filling and Healthy eating plan and have a recipe for lemon curd that uses Quark. It's healthier than jam and is lovely on toast or crumpets! Because it's made from fresh ingredients, it doesn't have a long life and I'll need to make it in small quantities so that it doesn't go off! :D

Hi Karingal

Any chance of sharing the lemon curd recipe? I too am trying to cook/bake more healthily, and the lemon curd sound like a great idea!

karinagal
11-02-2014, 15:19
Sure! Here it is..

Kinney61
11-02-2014, 19:23
Brilliant, thanks very much. That will keep me busy at the weekend��

canarybird
11-02-2014, 19:49
If you want to use up the rest of the basin of quark I have a simple but good recipe using quark from the Austrian owner of the Tiroler Alm restaurant in La Paz which she made and served to clients.. Germans also use a lot of quark in their baking and spread on crackers or bread with toppings such as chopped chives.

I'll tear myself away from the Olympics and the TV and go find the recipe and come back here a bit later to post it.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Okay I'm back. Here's the recipe and the photo of how it looked in the restaurant.

Also I included an old photo of quark made by Danone and bought here in Tenerife so you may also find that in any supermarket that sells Danone products.

I would change the amount of quark in the recipe below. I'm sure you don't need half a kilo of it. Use whatever amount you feel looks right and if it's not enough use more next time.

Apple, Raisin and Quark Tart

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-hnz9PjZ/0/L/Apple%2C%20Raisin%20%26%20Quark%20Tart-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-6KFJ3Tz/0/M/Quark-M.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It could have been the Milbona brand that Lidl sells. It can also be called "Speisequark" if it's made in Germany.

Here's a link (https://www.google.es/search?q=Lidl+quark&client=firefox-a&hs=rkK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Snv6UuvbBOqV7AaGnYH4AQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1400&bih=737#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=ZGoDZNB3rxgZYM%253A%3BUWd9E_PSF1_J-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi37.tinypic.com%252F2ebfh9w .jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mundorecetas.com%252 Fforo%252Fshowthread.php%252F127130-queso-quark-queso-fresco-batido%3B360%3B270) to a Google page of quark photos.

Oh and German cooking often uses quark to make cheesecakes.

seanocelt
11-02-2014, 22:18
quark is ace for weigh****chers lasagne. i saw it in Hiper Dino Los Cris next to soft cheeses and triangles.

karinagal
11-02-2014, 22:40
quark is ace for weigh****chers lasagne. i saw it in Hiper Dino Los Cris next to soft cheeses and triangles.

I'm almost peeing my pants here at the auto filters response to the t and the wat in Weight Watchers!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Sean - if Hiper Dino in LC sell it, they might have it in Las Chafiras too..!

princessmonika
12-02-2014, 09:55
karina looking forward to your baking ,when you get here-- i am here waiting for my invite to sample

karinagal
12-02-2014, 10:15
karina looking forward to your baking ,when you get here-- i am here waiting for my invite to sample

Baking? Nope - the closest I'll get to baking is toasting some crumpets and slapping on some lemon curd!! :D

wigjam
12-02-2014, 12:58
They sell it in Mercadona but it's not called Quark and I can't remember what it is alled but I think you'll recognise it. It's their own brand. I often use it instead of soft cheese or cream in recipes.

bonitatime
13-02-2014, 09:50
They sell it in Mercadona but it's not called Quark and I can't remember what it is alled but I think you'll recognise it. It's their own brand. I often use it instead of soft cheese or cream in recipes.

Queso fresco

karinagal
01-03-2014, 17:06
Queso fresco

Found it!!!! Thanks!

chifleta
02-03-2014, 14:29
the quark in LIDL is nicer than the one in Mercadona, i'm sure you can even get quark light... mind you, i've only ever eaten it over here, so not sure what it "officially" should taste like LOL ....

Kinney61
02-03-2014, 18:53
That will be on my shopping list at Lidl when I get over there next week. Looking forward to trying the lemon curd.

karinagal
02-03-2014, 18:59
the quark in LIDL is nicer than the one in Mercadona, i'm sure you can even get quark light... mind you, i've only ever eaten it over here, so not sure what it "officially" should taste like LOL ....

The one I bought is made from Skimmed milk so it's as light as it can be!!

chifleta
03-03-2014, 20:00
The one I bought is made from Skimmed milk so it's as light as it can be!!

my friend freezes the queso fresco from Mercadona ... so is that how quark is supposed to taste? I find the mercadona one a bit bland, but maybe it's supposed to be like that LOL i'll have to try some when i'm in UK next.

canarybird
03-03-2014, 20:25
I don't think queso fresco (fresh cheese) is the same as quark. I think there's a difference in the production process or the type of milk used. As Lidl is a German supermarket chain I would buy quark there if you can because quark is a typical German food product.