PDA

View Full Version : Health Can we get a temporary residency permit to have social healthcare while in Tenerife?

maxbaby
15-02-2014, 14:30
Hi everyone. We are staying in tenerife again for 5 months and was wondering if anyone can advise re: health/insurance. Last year we paid around 170 (2 healthy pensioners) for 5 months medical insurance and whilst there someoone mentioned that we could get a temporary residency permit. Can anyone advise us on this please, this year (we're a year older but still healthy) cheapest price we can find is about 170 - 200.
Would be really grateful for replies....we're arriving in 6 weeks and need to get this sorted.:wave:

Tom & Sharon
15-02-2014, 14:52
I don't think there's such a thing as a temporary residence, I think that's duff information!

You are entitled to use your EH1C for emergency care or treatment for a long term chronic condition whilst in Tenerife. This will give you access to free state health care under the reciprocal agreement from the Uk.

It will cost you nothing. However, it would not cover you for repatriation to the UK should you require it by something like air ambulance, and it does happen!

£200 doesn't sound too bad to me for 2 people for 5 months. Your decision whether you want to wing it for free with an EH1C, or have complete cover for £200!

lapalma
15-02-2014, 15:14
Hi maxbaby,

I envy you both very much and I do hope that you get insurance at the rate you have said.I on the other hand have various health issues and my last quote last year was £700 for one week.Bearing in mind that I have lung disease etc and my wife has heart problems I find the health insurance a wee bit too much.As an example I was quoted £30,000 for an air ambulance to take me back to the UK !!!

I wish you both all the best with your insurance and have a good time in Tenerife.
Hi everyone. We are staying in tenerife again for 5 months and was wondering if anyone can advise re: health/insurance. Last year we paid around 170 (2 healthy pensioners) for 5 months medical insurance and whilst there someoone mentioned that we could get a temporary residency permit. Can anyone advise us on this please, this year (we're a year older but still healthy) cheapest price we can find is about 170 - 200.
Would be really grateful for replies....we're arriving in 6 weeks and need to get this sorted.:wave:

maxbaby
15-02-2014, 15:21
Hello if you ring around these travel insurance companies a lot of them will firstly quote ridiculous prices and when you hesitate they offer something more reasonable. have a go! such a shame you can't go on holiday due to these awful companies. Good luck. and best wishes.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

thanks tom ^& sharon, we will be taking out cover again its just too risky not to!! thanks for advice.
best wishes.