PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Are cheap cameras fakes in Tenerife?

Ian433
16-02-2014, 17:13
I see lots of Nikon and Canon DSLRs for sale in various shops at prices much cheaper than in UK. Tempted but concerned about the possibility of fakes or lack of guarantee back in UK. Don't mind a phoney Rolex because you know what you're getting. Any comments please?

Addick
16-02-2014, 17:26
If it looks too good to be true...

Have heard a few stories of dodgy camera etc shops and would prefer to pay a bit more back home or buy online from a reputable site. My brother-in-law got caught buying a pair of binoculars from one. He wanted to look at one in the window display and was duely shown it and when he decided to buy it was naturally given a boxed one from out the back, but it was of far inferior quality to the genuine one.

primrose
16-02-2014, 17:36
I see lots of Nikon and Canon DSLRs for sale in various shops at prices much cheaper than in UK. Tempted but concerned about the possibility of fakes or lack of guarantee back in UK. Don't mind a phoney Rolex because you know what you're getting. Any comments please?

Just keep walking and don't ever set foot in the shop.

Ian433
16-02-2014, 18:37
Many thanks - having given it some thought I think the extra cost in Uk is worth it for the guarantee and peace of mind about genuine product etc. Thanks again.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Will take your advice.

kathml
16-02-2014, 20:10
In the uk you'll get what you pay for in Tenerife you'll get what they give you

canarybird
16-02-2014, 20:46
I've bought a Canon DSLR and lenses as well as other brands of digital cameras (Panasonic Lumix, more than one Olympus digital) here in Tenerife and have confidence in three chain stores on the island. I have no idea what the prices are in the UK as I live here. Here is where I shop (not online but in the local stores):

Visanta (http://www.visanta.com/categoria/27519/CAMARAS%20REFLEX%20DIGITALES) (shops over 40 years in Canary Islands)

Maya (http://www.mayamania.es/fabricantesearch.php?buscador=Canon&prov=1) (shops in Canary Islands since 1953)

Fotoprix (http://www.fotoprix.com/es/tienda/catalogo/familia/camaras-digitales/reflex/1_2) (shops all over Spain)

I would avoid small shops that are not part of a large known chain and are not representatives for the main camera brands.

warbey
16-02-2014, 20:58
Canarybird tells You as it is.

You really need toknow the Prices of the Cameras in the U.K. and even better, the appearance of the Exact Model.

Some appear genuine until You realise the Name is spelt wrongly

Some are so cheap and badly made they aren't fit for Childs Toys..

Either use the Shops specified or walk away..

Vortex Wake
16-02-2014, 22:26
You buy a Canon XYZ camera only to get back to your apartment to find it has been substituted with different camera .

Or, you with to buy Canon XYZ camera only to be 'forced' to purchase the battery at an exorbitant cost.

Or you buy a camera only to find out later that it is second hand , fake or faulty .

These are some of the cons and tricks that some dishonest sellers REALLY DO use. Once you realise that these sellers are deceitful and not to be trusted - all becomes clear.

With online shopping in the UK , you will always be sure of getting the genuine item with UK instructions at a price similar to an item from trusted retailers that Canarybird mentions.

trevorife2
16-02-2014, 23:05
The blokes of african descent who walk around at night sell better quality goods than some of the so called business's that sell so called genuine goods ??

9PLUS
16-02-2014, 23:14
Percy photo in Santa Cruz are very well respected by photographers in Tenerife

They supply more or less the whole range of amature and professional equipment

http://www.percyphoto.com

marbro8
16-02-2014, 23:16
Many thanks - having given it some thought I think the extra cost in Uk is worth it for the guarantee and peace of mind about genuine product etc. Thanks again.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Will take your advice.good choice you won't regret it;), we have heard all sorts of stories on here from merchandise being switched to people being either over charged on their credit card or charged twice:angry:, i don't understand how the thieving obnoxious vultures manage to stay in business???, i think the spanish government should declare an open season on them so that we can kick or punch one every time we walk past:crylaughing:

warbey
17-02-2014, 21:47

I noticed a new gimmick used by these "Traders" a few Years ago to Date.

They offer to shake Your Hand when You are passing by.

thay get very annoyed when You refuse, explaining You don't want to catch Anything......hee....hee