PDA

View Full Version : Diving Has anyone ever come across a grouper fish in Tenerife?

firebirdbw
18-02-2014, 09:52
Back in the early sixties, I had been working in Calella, on the Costa Brava, for the Summer season,in an English pub, "The **** Inn"
a gang of us got together and came here to Tenerife, and lived in Puerto de la Cruz for three months.
Our hobby was snorkeling, we had all the kit even a harpoon gun, and went snorkeling every day in Puertos
harbour.
One day there was a tremendous storm, so no swimming for anyone, however the next day it was clearer so I donned my
fins and mask etc. and went snorkeling, I was mooching around looking for fish to chase, and came face to face
with a big green face (This was before "Jaws" was written) it was easily 3 feet wide and as much deep, eyes were as
big as plates and a jaw full of razor-like teeth !
It was not an option to skewer it with my harpoon, it was more like, "lets get out of here before it gets annoyed "
We checked with a local bar later, and discovered it was a Grouper, well known to the locals.
Has anyone else seen this fish ?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The bar name, in Calella, sounds like "Clock Inn" but it would not print the name of a male chicken ?

deepdivejunkie
20-02-2014, 20:54
The only grouper that I know of, resides on the dive site called "San Miguel" or "White Moon" near Palm Mar.
He's quite a bigun. Took a nice bite of my finger a few years ago!

Here he is...

http://youtu.be/Obp1BFTbs_c

Foz
21-02-2014, 10:14
Amazing video!