PDA

View Full Version : Employment Where can I find work playing traditional Spanish guitar in Tenerife?

jjp
19-02-2014, 00:17
Does anyone ever see good quality 'Spanish' guitarists playing instrumental Classical / Flamenco music in restaurants / hotels?

If so, which restaurants are these?

(I'm a professional guitarist in the UK thinking of trying my luck in Tenerife)

Thanks!

warbey
19-02-2014, 21:01
I know of three Ive encountered over the last 5 or so Years

Each one from a good Band in the U.K. of Yesteryear.
Two do M.c. and the Other one did a fewe appearences each Week.

I know of another two who play in Bars, but the Genre is Pop Music, mostly 60's to 90's.

That seems to be the Market. It is the Canaries, and perhaps not so much Flamenco as the Peninsula. (Mainland).

Cases such as Yours will always be advised to Holiday There and see for Yourself..

jjp
19-02-2014, 23:37
Thanks Warbey, I plan to come and check out the scene quite soon. I guess I am hoping the more upmarket hotels/restaurants might be interested rather than bars, but will have to see.

If anyone else has seen classical / Spanish / Flamenco guitarists playing around I would love to hear about it. Also pianists in background situations.

deepdivejunkie
21-02-2014, 20:06
Search on Google "anuncios musicos tenerife"

There are quite a few websites for musicians wanted and available for work on these sites.
Give it a go. :goodluck: :guitar1:

jjp
21-02-2014, 21:09
Will do - thanks deepdivejunkie!

Skeggy
22-02-2014, 09:13
I saw Manuel Barrueco at the Santa Cruz Auditorium, classical guitar at it's finest... Good Luck perhaps Santa Cruz or La Laguna would be more suitable for your situation.

Muppet
22-02-2014, 10:58
Just be warned though, the chances of getting work in hotels alone is very limited. Most have contracts in place with Agents to provide musicians and entertainment. Part of the reason is that since hotels are very much in the public eye and frequently (rightly) inspected by the Government to ensure their staff are properly and legally employed.

Without doubt you would be lucky to land a gig in a hotel without going through an Agent, and if you were lucky enough you would certainly be asked to prove you were legally self employed.

jjp
22-02-2014, 12:21
Fair enough and thanks for the advice Muppet. I do plan to be legal with self employment etc - just got to go through all of the red tape first :)

I have found one agent that supplies hotels with musicians called 'Romantic', does anyone know of any others or have any contacts by any chance?

Or are there any restaurant owners reading this who would like to make contact? See my website at www.jonpickard.co.uk I will be arriving on 1st March.

deepdivejunkie
22-02-2014, 13:05
jjp

Just watched Jonīs Youtube video "The Wall" played on harp guitar... AWESOME!!!! Love it.
This guy is good :-)

Have you ever tried playing a Chapman Stick Jon?

canarybird
22-02-2014, 13:12
Good Luck Jon!

Sorry I can't be of help in suggesting work but as a former classical guitar teacher, and after listening to some of your guitar and piano on your website I can say you sound totally professional and with a good repertoire that would be well suited for any venue here on the island.

I hope you are able to find an agent or someone who recognizes your talent and is able to find you plenty of openings where your music is appreciated.

There is a lovely old mansion house with a cocktail lounge here in Puerto de la Cruz called ABACO where musical concerts as well as ambient music is offered.
You may find this an opportunity for you. This link (http://www.abacotenerife.com/en/) is for the Abaco website. And this link (http://www.abacotenerife.com/en/contact/) is for the contact page.

You may also find something near the Abaco in the La Paz area of Puerto de la Cruz in the five star Hotel Botanico, (http://www.hotelbotanico.com/) where evening music is offered in the lounge and many congresses, weddings and other events are programmed. Hope you find something.

jjp
22-02-2014, 17:45
Thanks, I thought about bringing the harp guitar, but its probably too "out there" for most venues!

I was thinking this kind of music would go well in some hotels etc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGDp_w3r-E

Never tried a chapman stick (though they do look amazing), how about you? I am big into harp guitars though, and am having a 23 string made for me which will hopefully be ready soon (see build pics here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.279807522128781.59506.101788256597376&type=1) though again it may not be right for restaurant work.

jjp
22-02-2014, 21:14
Thanks so much for your kind comments Canarybird, and those look like just the right type of venues. I'm sure they will have plenty of musicians for their needs, but who knows, maybe there could be a niche for me somewhere.

What a great forum this is, I am so grateful for all of the positive comments I have received. Thanks everyone. (any more leads gratefully received!)

lynnangela
27-02-2014, 16:42
Ive just watched some your youtube vids, fabulous! if you get any work you must let us know, I for one will be there!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

This guy, Shane Haigh-Souza is currently advertising on facebook (Tenerife Wanted) for entertainers to work in 2 hotels in Las Americas San Eugenio and 1 hotel in Torviscas. Are you a member of Tenerife Wanted? because it might be a good place to look

jjp
28-02-2014, 00:23
Hi Lynnangela,

Thanks so much for that, I just sent Shane a message about it. Glad you like my videos!

Actually I have arranged to play guitar for a dinner at the Manantial de Tara on 21st March where I will be staying. I dont know if it is an open event or private but will ask them and let you know if it is open.

I havent joined Tenerife wanted - do you mean this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/125783824209885/?fref=ts ?

lynnangela
28-02-2014, 16:30
Hi Jon, yes that is the correct group. If you are not able to join ( I think you can only join by invite) then I have sent you a friend request via facebook so that I can add you to that group. If the event is open at Manatial de Tara I would love to come along and bring a few friends too!

I have just looked on the website for Manatial de Tara and it appears to be a private event on the 21st March. So let us know if you get anymore bookings anywhere and we will endeavour to be there.

jjp
28-02-2014, 16:42
Thanks Lynn, I have asked if I can bring some friends along and will let you know when I hear back from them.

Thanks for all your help!

Saltnpepper
28-02-2014, 20:28
Jon, how about approaching El Molino Blanco which is an upmarket restaurant in San Eugenio (just by the side of the motorway, has a windmill next to it, everyone knows it). They often have different kinds of music and acts there ... good luck with everything!

jjp
03-03-2014, 15:43
Hi Lynn

Good news - I just heard back from Guillermo at Manatial de Tara, he says the event is open to everyone. I dont know about any other details, pricing etc, so if you are still able and keen to come along perhaps you should contact him for more info. It would be great to meet you if you would still like to come! His email is manantialdetara******.com / www.manantialdetara.org

Thanks Saltnpepper, that looks like just the right kind of venue for me to play - I hope they think so too!

Jon, how about approaching El Molino Blanco which is an upmarket restaurant in San Eugenio (just by the side of the motorway, has a windmill next to it, everyone knows it). They often have different kinds of music and acts there ... good luck with everything!

Thanks Saltnpepper, that looks like just the right kind of venue for me to play - I hope they think so too!

lynnangela
08-03-2014, 22:53
[QUOTE=jjp;357841]Hi Lynn

Good news - I just heard back from Guillermo at Manatial de Tara, he says the event is open to everyone. I dont know about any other details, pricing etc, so if you are still able and keen to come along perhaps you should contact him for more info. It would be great to meet you if you would still like to come! His email is manantialdetara******.com / www.manantialdetara.org

QUOTE]

Thanks jon I will put that in the diary!

Medanoman
10-03-2014, 11:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdmoLbymFhY
need a timplista? :lol:

Thats Canarian....

jjp
11-03-2014, 19:57
Hi Lynn, really sorry but I have had to cancel playing for this event. I am in Gran Canaria at the moment and various logistics have made it impossible for me to be there on that date. I now plan to arrive in Tenerife around the 29th March. I will keep you posted if I get any playing dates on the island. I currently have played twice here on Gran Canaria in Maspalomas and have been re-booked at both venues for this coming week, so I am hopeful that when I get to Tenerife I should be able to get something. Sorry for inconvenience and hope to see you sometime in April. Jon

[QUOTE=jjp;357841]Hi Lynn

QUOTE]

Thanks jon I will put that in the diary!

Tal
26-03-2015, 15:59
Hola.
I joined the site with the reason to find someone experienced to form a duo with. More chance of work if you can offer as well as la clasica espanola flamenco pop and mediterranean and french, spanish, italian, greek songs and melodies. It helps to sing in the language also. More variety is the key in a profession traditionally very insecure.

I have 5 years experience work in italian ristorante called Amico Mio outside the island as a solo guitarist and singer playing all these genres. Prior to this I worked with another guitarist playing gypsy jazz, jazz standards and latinjazz with vocals.

I am hoping coming to the island for the third time soon to consider retirement in a couple of years. Choice of that or Granada al Andaluz..Accommodation cheaper and no ocean barrier.I think one has to promote oneself in person. And this cannot be done unless you are actually there, Contact if you would like to meet up. Currently in UK, Saludos cordiales

Tomas

Tomas Alberto Maria Llobete
Tel intl 0044-7487651423