PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Do we need a Residencia to buy a car in Tenerife?

deepGC
20-02-2014, 17:29
Hi there,

Myself and my partner have just moved to Tenerife are looking to buy a car, someone mentioned that we need our residencia to actually own a vehicle??? We have our own NIE, but don't want to apply for residencia until we get more information on this.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

Glenn

junglejim
20-02-2014, 18:05
Contact casabonny on here .
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?26691-Buy-a-Spanish-car-what-needs-to-be-done-re-paperwork-etc

Ijacko
20-02-2014, 20:44
We bought our new Kia with just our NIE and our tax fiscal number.

casabonny
20-02-2014, 21:34
[QUOTE=deepGC;355699]Hi there,

Myself and my partner have just moved to Tenerife are looking to buy a car, someone mentioned that we need our residencia to actually own a vehicle??? We have our own NIE, but don't want to apply for residencia until we get more information on this.
You can purchase a car with an NIE you do not need a residencia although you would have to prove address by an Empadronmiento,Registered Escritura or current rental contract.

doreen
21-02-2014, 03:23
Hi there,

Can anyone advise?

On not wanting to apply for Residence, bear in mind, that once you have been living in Spain for a period of more than 3 months, then you are legally obliged to register: however, this does not necessarily mean becoming a tax resident.

golf birdie
21-02-2014, 18:09
We bought our new Kia with just our NIE and our tax fiscal number.

which model did you buy and where from? I am thinking of buying a Kia Sportage.

Ijacko
21-02-2014, 18:41
I really like the Sportage, but as this is a holiday home for us so we have a car in the UK too. We bought a little 1.25 Picanto and are very impressed with it. Ideal for parking too. We used Farray Motors in San Isidro. Daniel Alvarez was the salesman. We don't speak Spanish and he had limited English, but we got there ok and just about on time. Difference here that surprised us, is that you pay for the car then it is registered. Ie you don't pay on delivery day but up to two weeks before which was a bit scary. Also be aware that if you are moving the money from a Spanish bank to the dealers bank, that your bank charges you a %age of the transfer as a fee. No free faster payments like in the UK here. There is another Kia dealer in Guaza too, but we liked the fact that Farray motors service centre is in Chafiras as we live on The Golf. Car service was £55 pounds !! and very good English speaking staff there. Good luck.

Greg
21-02-2014, 23:05
If you don't need credit all you need is an N.I.E.

Norm de Plume
22-02-2014, 10:14
Arrange to pay with commission free credit card such as Nationwide or Post Office and avoid bank charges.

Norm de Plume
25-02-2014, 09:51
I bought my last car with my credit card (having arranged it in advance).

essexeddie
27-03-2014, 19:17
I bought mine with cash/credit card 50/50 no probs

DUNEDIN
29-03-2014, 14:55
We wil be making the move to Tenerife this year. After much deliberating we decided we dont want to subject our three dogs to the cage/flight thing. I am going to drive but as dont want to have a UK car and then re register thought about buying a Spanish car ( of which several UK sites sell LHD cars) or even travel to North if spain on cheap flight then drive it home before we set off, then thought are Tenerife cars classed differantly
From mainland Spain? And would that need reregistered? Or is it even a good idea. The issue with the crates is something I have pondered for ages and two of our dogs are giant breeds ( not in Spanish dangerous dogs but prob be req to be muzzled) and looking at IATA and IPATA sites could not subject them to a crate for so long.
Loads I want to ask bout ferries, routes and even if I can take DDBs into France as someone once told us they re located to Tenerife as there DDB was not allowed into France?? If
Someone could initially clarify the car issues for now would be greatly appreciated i.e are Spanish and Canarian cars classed the same, ta

deepGC
01-09-2016, 15:06
Hi,

To close this thread, we were fine with our NIE :)

imablue
01-09-2016, 18:09
Well i think it was pretty much closed anyway..Last post was 2 years 6 months ago:hello:

deepGC
01-09-2016, 18:16
Hehe, better late than never ;)