PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden Did we have a bad fridge repair man in Tenerife?

DonnaFranka
20-02-2014, 18:35
Hello.

Firstly I do not know if this is the correct section of the forum to write in, so if it is not I am sorry, but I really must ask this question...

Our 6 year of Fagor fridge was exceptionally cold so we called a repair company who proclaimed that they also repaired Fagor. The Tec came round and said that he could not give me a price until he sees what is wrong with it, so he disassembled our fridge and told us it needed gas and a new filter and that it would cost 230 euros inc igic. We told him it was too much so he said that if he reassembles the fridge it would cost us 60 euros for the visit. So we bit the bullet and went ahead with the repairs. Now 48 hours later the fridge is still very cold and the bottom draw of the freezer has stopped freezing. We have called him back and he will come by tomorrow.

Can anyone advise us if he has made a mistake with his repairs ?

Many thanks.

amanda
20-02-2014, 18:42
Cheaper to buy a new fridge or phone your house insurance company

bulldog
20-02-2014, 19:14
Hello.

Firstly I do not know if this is the correct section of the forum to write in, so if it is not I am sorry, but I really must ask this question...

Our 6 year of Fagor fridge was exceptionally cold so we called a repair company who proclaimed that they also repaired Fagor. The Tec came round and said that he could not give me a price until he sees what is wrong with it, so he disassembled our fridge and told us it needed gas and a new filter and that it would cost 230 euros inc igic. We told him it was too much so he said that if he reassembles the fridge it would cost us 60 euros for the visit. So we bit the bullet and went ahead with the repairs. Now 48 hours later the fridge is still very cold and the bottom draw of the freezer has stopped freezing. We have called him back and he will come by tomorrow.

Many thanks.

normally when gas is needed its not getting cold enough ,plus modern fridges are sealed units
and never need gassing up sounds more like a thermostat problem to me

warbey
20-02-2014, 19:37

Sounds dodgy to Me too.

I suggest You be careful of allowing Him to fiddle with it some more, at 60 euros a time.!

essexeddie
20-02-2014, 21:31
See what he says as he may repair for nothing, his work must be guaranteed, Failing that buy a new one.

lapalma
20-02-2014, 22:33
Hi,

Sadly it would have been better to buy a new fridge.I used to do a lot of refrigeration work and was certified to carry out any repairs ( A.C.R.I.B. registered refrigerant handler,retired now).Without having seen your fridge and going by what you have said,its sounds like there is a blockage in the chilling cycle as you say part of the fridge is cold.Sounds like a compressor fault and some oil or debris is causing the fault.To carry out a repair would be more than the fridge is worth.Some fridges last for many years others don't.So sorry I could not help you more.
Hello.

Many thanks.

slodgedad
20-02-2014, 22:42
A reputable repair man would have advised you to replace it. Name and shame....

universal
21-02-2014, 11:01
It could be that the fan motor has burnt out, if it has one.

Ecky Thump
21-02-2014, 12:10
It could be that the fan motor has burnt out, if it has one.

I think it's the gaggling Shaft that's adjacent to the Reverberation Unit, which is found just under the Gimp Pin!:p

Medman
21-02-2014, 16:56
I think it's the gaggling Shaft that's adjacent to the Reverberation Unit, which is found just under the Gimp Pin!:p

Wow ,,, you're smarter that you look Ecky ... :D

Ecky Thump
21-02-2014, 17:39
Wow ,,, you're smarter that you look Ecky ... :D

I should have said that the Gimp Pin is subject to rusting from leakage of the Thimble Valve and can be difficult to extract........a very common fault!:wow:

primrose
21-02-2014, 17:53
I should have said that the Gimp Pin is subject to rusting from leakage of the Thimble Valve and can be difficult to extract........a very common fault!:wow:

The Thimble Valve is not the only thing you are extracting.:crylaughing:

Bazz
21-02-2014, 21:03
Fridges don't seem to last very long.
I've been through quite a few! :(

DonnaFranka
21-02-2014, 23:37
Hi,

Sadly it would have been better to buy a new fridge.I used to do a lot of refrigeration work and was certified to carry out any repairs ( A.C.R.I.B. registered refrigerant handler,retired now).Without having seen your fridge and going by what you have said,its sounds like there is a blockage in the chilling cycle as you say part of the fridge is cold.Sounds like a compressor fault and some oil or debris is causing the fault.To carry out a repair would be more than the fridge is worth.Some fridges last for many years others don't.So sorry I could not help you more.

Thanks very much for your advice. I will Name and shame if anyone is interest to take note..(he and the company are Spanish)..just let me know. In the meantime...any chance of getting my money back ? Any ideas ? Thanks.

9PLUS
22-02-2014, 05:53
Could well be another problem and not really his fault, things happen like that sometimes.

I wouldn't Name & Shame until he's seen it again.