PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden Can ants damage non wooden structures?

karinagal
24-02-2014, 00:55
I have been advised that damage to my patio doors (the runners sunk causing the doors to droop) which happened at the same time that my apartments internal walls were showing damage from damp (burst pipe) is not covered under my insurance policy..... The 'explanation' I was given was that the damage was due to ants...

Has anyone had any structural damage caused by vast colonies of ants? I'm assuming that they must have been stealing the water as well as the concrete under the floor since my water bill for that period was more than €130 more than its normal €20......!

So, has anyone else had similar damage which was proven to be attributable to voracious little ants?

delderek
24-02-2014, 09:46
I have been advised that damage to my patio doors (the runners sunk causing the doors to droop) which happened at the same time that my apartments internal walls were showing damage from damp (burst pipe) is not covered under my insurance policy..... The 'explanation' I was given was that the damage was due to ants...

Has anyone had any structural damage caused by vast colonies of ants? I'm assuming that they must have been stealing the water as well as the concrete under the floor since my water bill for that period was more than €130 more than its normal €20......!

So, has anyone else had similar damage which was proven to be attributable to voracious little ants?

Not as serious as yours, but yes several years ago Ants were chewing away the mortar behind my wooden door frames, clearly visible by piles of dust on the floor each day. Twice a day heavy spraying with Roach spray got rid of them, but it did take a couple of weeks.

princessmonika
24-02-2014, 10:46
just read on the net yes ants can eat concrete just have a look karina i tried to send the link but could not

LUCKY
24-02-2014, 10:58
http://www.ehow.com/info_8624907_borax-ants-under-concrete-patio.html

Also found an old link on this forum

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?1998-How-can-I-get-rid-of-tiny-ants-in-Tenerife

Hope this sheds some light :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

karinagal
24-02-2014, 11:19
Thanks peeps! The thing is, I do not believe for a second that ants are to blame for this damage. Apart from the occasional visiting troupe of micro ants, I haven't seen any evidence of them in or around our apartment...

bulldog
24-02-2014, 16:44
Thanks peeps! The thing is, I do not believe for a second that ants are to blame for this damage. Apart from the occasional visiting troupe of micro ants, I haven't seen any evidence of them in or around our apartment...

if its ground floor i.e.tiles on a concrete bed on top of earth the earth will compact with a lot
of water leaving a void causing sinking,if its a floor above i.e. tiles on solid concrete the
opposite would happen with a burst the concrete would expand and push the floor/tiles upwards

kingbaker
24-02-2014, 17:14

Hi KG, I used to stay regularly in Alondras Pk. Rwgularly there'd be an invasion of ants. They come thru the wiring cables `cause all the appts are on the one circuit, unlike at home where every house is wired separately. Im sure they can do untold damage beneath the surface. Ive never seen an apartment for sale with an engineers report either. Hope all will be alright. ;)

delderek
24-02-2014, 19:26

Think you are being a bit dismissive, if you could have seen the amount of mortar these little buggers moved everyday, you may be surprised.....I was!!. They are not the same little micro ants that get inside, 4 or 5 times larger with jaws like a JCB.

karinagal
24-02-2014, 19:29
The timing is way too convenient. The apartment had been empty for a few weeks when the burst pipe was discovered and the patio doors failed at the same time... Were the ants attracted by the excess water?!!

karinagal
24-02-2014, 19:32
if its ground floor i.e.tiles on a concrete bed on top of earth the earth will compact with a lot
of water leaving a void causing sinking,if its a floor above i.e. tiles on solid concrete the
opposite would happen with a burst the concrete would expand and push the floor/tiles upwards

It's a ground floor apartment so this would make sense..

bulldog
24-02-2014, 19:55
It's a ground floor apartment so this would make sense..

If I was you I,d contact the insurance company again and ask them can they investigate
further push the fact it was subject to water damage ,during the building boom liberties
were taken I,ve seen terraces laid on nothing more than debris and a thin layer of sand
and cement which can fail easily if subject to excessive water ,good luck

delderek
24-02-2014, 20:25
The timing is way too convenient. The apartment had been empty for a few weeks when the burst pipe was discovered and the patio doors failed at the same time... Were the ants attracted by the excess water?!!

Probably makes it a lot easier for them to munch away without choking.:whistle:

princessmonika
24-02-2014, 20:32
karina did you not turn the water off at the mains when you are not there????

Suzanne
24-02-2014, 20:58
Delderek, did you see ants about the place?

delderek
24-02-2014, 21:04
Delderek, did you see ants about the place?

Nope. They were only outside behind the door frames. After the heavy spraying there were possiby a few hundred dead ones every day for a couple of weeks. The little inside micro ants were a completely different thing.

karinagal
24-02-2014, 22:35
Probably makes it a lot easier for them to munch away without choking.:whistle:

I suppose it would be akin to eating cream crackers without taking a drink!! :D :p :D

karinagal
24-02-2014, 22:37
karina did you not turn the water off at the mains when you are not there????

Didn't see any need to switch it off - especially with Suzanne and Trevor popping in and keeping an eye on the place. Hindsight and all that....!!!

kingbaker
24-02-2014, 22:49
Didn't see any need to switch it off - especially with Suzanne and Trevor popping in and keeping an eye on the place. Hindsight and all that....!!!

m beginning to think that your'e
all cream crackers:cool:

karinagal
24-02-2014, 23:17
m beginning to think that your'e
all cream crackers:cool:

Indeed...........! :p

princessmonika
25-02-2014, 08:19
allways switch off the mains - because they are not there every day , so a lot can happen ,even if someone looks in every week --- well you are right hindsight is a great one-- :cheers2::cheers2: see you friday