PDA

View Full Version : Other Should we be so hasty to facilitate a missing person request on the Tenerife Forum?

languagefan
27-02-2014, 16:35
Hello,

I deliberately started a new thread on this not to embarrass the "perceived" missing person further.

Just a quick one regarding the other thread. Even though I admire the good will every member put in to this, but the first question that came to my mind reading the first msg on the thread was:

What if Mr X didn't want to be in touch with his parents for a very personal or valid reason?! Police has a role in helping locate missing people, and they do this service confidentially except if the person is perceived to be at risk or a risk to/by the society.

And worse, I know this case was hopefully genuine, but what if we receive a hoax msg like this out of somebody's playfulness or malice? (Pls note that the first msg came from a new member with 4 posts) Should we broadcast it immediately?!

Please don't get me wrong, this is not a criticism to anybody on the forum, but imagine if u were a 46 yr old who for some reason fell out with your parents and then hear that the whole island is alarmed with your photos being circulated all over the web. You'd be pretty embarrassed! Or if somebody out of malice pranks u, and u hear such a story about u and your pix all over social networks?!

Thanks again everybody for the effort you put in to finding this person and connecting him with the family.
Best wishes

lynnangela
27-02-2014, 16:48
Spot on laguagefan, especially given that this guy was found and contacted not so long ago, he seems to have chosen not to contact the family. Sad for the family I know, but the guy has a right to his privacy and should be left alone.

admin
03-03-2014, 01:16
If a member has information about a missing person request, or knows the person that someone posts a request about, they should contact that person and make them aware of the forum post before contacting the person searching. a) because of the reasons already mentioned above and b) because people are not always who they say they are, and it's not our decision to make whether a person's details should be passed on or not. If a person wants to be contacted, they can log in and send a PM themselves.

This is covered in the forum rules here :

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?89-Tenerife-Forum-Rules&p=90296&viewfull=1#post90296
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?89-Tenerife-Forum-Rules&p=90299&viewfull=1#post90299