PDA

View Full Version : Relocation If you're thinking of going to Cape Verde I wouldn't recommend it

essexeddie
27-02-2014, 18:43
If anyone is thinking of moving to Cape Verde Islands don't bother.
Just back from visiting a couple of the Islands and was a bit disappointed.
No infrastructure to speak about, just nothing there.
I once heard that they were a threat to Tenerife but from what I saw it wont be this century.

Tdm
27-02-2014, 19:20
Have you just been on the Fred Olsen Cruise from Tenerife that calls in at the Cape Verde Islands as well as Gambia and Senegal?.
If so would like to hear about it.

marbro8
27-02-2014, 21:01
If anyone is thinking of moving to Cape Verde Islands don't bother.
Just back from visiting a couple of the Islands and was a bit disappointed.
No infrastructure to speak about, just nothing there.
I once heard that they were a threat to Tenerife but from what I saw it wont be this century.my sister in law and her hubby went on an AI last year and loved it, they stayed in an adults only hotel, but they are the type that love just sunbathing and drinking all day so having nothing to do would suit them:lol:, but if you are saying that it is untouched and unspoilt then that suits some people as well:wink2:

LUCKY
27-02-2014, 21:37
my sister in law and her hubby went on an AI last year and loved it, they stayed in an adults only hotel, but they are the type that love just sunbathing and drinking all day so having nothing to do would suit them:lol:, but if you are saying that it is untouched and unspoilt then that suits some people as well:wink2:

I wonder if they have a :feret:Farm. Is it paradise.
May as well start the new thread off on here.

Dear Forum my girlfriend and i , are so much looking forward to moving to cape verde , i can speak a little spanish , my girlfriend is 8 months pregnant, but i am a hard worker , will we still get the benefits in cape verde? please help as i have purchased tickets at Ryanair and are leaving southend airport one week on friday.

atlantico
27-02-2014, 21:41
My parents (retired) go there every year - it's under developed but they just go for the brand new 5 star hotels AI and never leave the grounds. So if thats for you, then great, otherwise, don't bother. As far as living there goes - again, don't bother unless you like basic living

Angusjim
28-02-2014, 07:43
My parents (retired) go there every year - it's under developed but they just go for the brand new 5 star hotels AI and never leave the grounds. So if thats for you, then great, otherwise, don't bother. As far as living there goes - again, don't bother unless you like basic living
So like Wales but with sunshine:laugh::laugh:

princessmonika
28-02-2014, 08:24
it belongs to portugal -- so they do not speak spanish-- maybe there are a lot of english speaking people-- i don't know?

Ecky Thump
28-02-2014, 08:37
So like WALES but with SUNSHINE:laugh::laugh:

it belongs to portugal -- so THEY DO NOT SPEAK SPANISH -- maybe there are a lot of english speaking people-- i don't know?

IT sounds just like Scotland!!:laugh:

Scotland has Sunshine today!

9PLUS
28-02-2014, 08:53
Cape verde is shyte

Ecky Thump
28-02-2014, 09:00
it BELONGS TO PORTUGAL -- so they do not speak spanish-- maybe there are a lot of english speaking people-- i don't know?

I thought that in the 1970,s Portugal lost control of the Islands of Cape Verde???

princessmonika
28-02-2014, 09:06
yes a republic since 1975

Foz
28-02-2014, 10:41
Not in the least bit like Scotland or Wales! Both those places have stunning scenery. Cape Verde is like a barren dust bowl! Nothing green or lush about it at all. As previous posters have mentioned if you like to lie by a pool all day then I'm sure it's great. For me, the weather spoiled our visit. It was so windy all the time we were there. You had to shout to be heard unless you were somewhere sheltered from the wind! According to the locals we were not unlucky with the weather it is usually like that! The beaches are stunning to look at but the wind whips the sand up and hurls it at you so furiously that you are sandblasted continuously! We went for a fortnight and wanted to come home after a few days!!!!

Malteser Monkey
28-02-2014, 10:51
So like Wales but with sunshine:laugh::laugh:

Oi You !

Well done Ecky :c2:

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 15:19
Yes we did, The ship was great as was the food and entertainment. I had my reservations as we have been with Fred Olsen before to the Caribbean and it was awful. But no fears this time.
We enjoyed this trip and found Dakar interesting with its past as a slave trader. Gambia was nicer with good beaches but as regards Cape Verde I wasn't impressed.
Overall the trip was worth the money and I would recommend it. If you do go take up the all inclusive offer at €12 per day as its well worth it. We saved about €300 by using this offer.

blondie
28-02-2014, 15:27
Lets all go then before the Russians take over that Island as well!!

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 15:29
I agree it was very windy and as it hardly ever rains there it was barren and dusty. No bars or restaurants, nothing there. I didn't find the beaches that good either to be frank.

Malteser Monkey
28-02-2014, 15:49
I didn't find the beaches that good either to be frank.

Why be Frank I thought you were Eddie:spin::cheeky:

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 15:59
I deserve that one:bootyshake:

Tdm
28-02-2014, 19:03
Yes we did, The ship was great as was the food and entertainment. I had my reservations as we have been with Fred Olsen before to the Caribbean and it was awful. But no fears this time.
We enjoyed this trip and found Dakar interesting with its past as a slave trader. Gambia was nicer with good beaches but as regards Cape Verde I wasn't impressed.
Overall the trip was worth the money and I would recommend it. If you do go take up the all inclusive offer at €12 per day as its well worth it. We saved about €300 by using this offer.

Thanks for replying Eddie - we booked the trip for later in the year a couple of weeks ago and paid the extra for drinks included.
Done the Caribbean & Polynesia with Princess Cruises which we thoroughly enjoyed, but not tried a Fred Olsen boat before and have booked a suite
as it is a belated 40th Wedding Anniversary present to ourselves. Not booked any on shore excursions yet as it is sometimes a lot cheaper to negotiate them
yourself with the locals rather than pay on board. Any you did that you can recommend?

marbro8
28-02-2014, 19:10
Not in the least bit like Scotland or Wales! Both those places have stunning scenery. Cape Verde is like a barren dust bowl! Nothing green or lush about it at all. As previous posters have mentioned if you like to lie by a pool all day then I'm sure it's great. For me, the weather spoiled our visit. It was so windy all the time we were there. You had to shout to be heard unless you were somewhere sheltered from the wind! According to the locals we were not unlucky with the weather it is usually like that! The beaches are stunning to look at but the wind whips the sand up and hurls it at you so furiously that you are sandblasted continuously! We went for a fortnight and wanted to come home after a few days!!!!sounds like zante, we booked 10 days there and was trying to get back for 8 of them:laugh:

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 19:27
We always do the excursions, the Dakar one to Goree Island was good as its where the slaves were shipped out, take a camera.
I would book the on board excursions as its not like the Caribbean they are not set up for it there. You could be stitched up. At least you have back up. Just go through them all to get what you prefer. Its a matter of choice, first come first served as they do sell out.

Jabba43
28-02-2014, 20:27
I always imagined it to be tropical with natives living there like some Island off New Zealand or something. So thanks for the review. Actually I am more interested in getting to Morocco for a look. Change of subject but are there direct flight to Morocco from here?

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 23:59
Sorry to have spoilt your idea of the place. Its nothing like NZ at all (have toured NZ in a motorhome). Its very dry, baron and windy.

Retiredcolonel
01-03-2014, 01:47
I have read this forum for many years but never contributed. I have a place in Golf del Sur which I visit several times a year but I was surprised at the responses to the posts about Cape Verde and actually wonder whether any of the contributors have actually been to any of the Islands in Cabo Verde (new name as of 2013) and spent any significant time there.
Cabo Verde is now the fastest growing economy in Africa with an open skies policy with the EC.
It is also enjoying substantial investment by the Chinese to help improve the infrastructure.
Flights to the two main tourist Islands are up to just under 80 a week.
The people are lovely and speak a number of languages, the fish is excellent, the prices are cheap and the nightlife is vibrant (go outside of the hotel).
I think the Canary Islands have a lot to worry about especially with the number of 5 star plus hotels being built.
I believe in 20 years it will be the place to visit. If you go for 2 weeks to an all inclusive you won't get the chance to see what real life is.
I believe the Canary Island will be left behind in the next 20 years. That's why I bought here!!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The comments about not being like Scotland or Wales is not true yes for a couple of to Islands they are barren (like some parts of the Canaries) but go to Fogo and the wine is fantastic but the island is hilly and very green!

I have read this forum for many years but never contributed. I have a place in Golf del Sur which I visit several times a year but I was surprised at the responses to the posts about Cape Verde and actually wonder whether any of the contributors have actually been to any of the Islands in Cabo Verde (new name as of 2013) and spent any significant time there.
Cabo Verde is now the fastest growing economy in Africa with an open skies policy with the EC.
It is also enjoying substantial investment by the Chinese to help improve the infrastructure.
Flights to the two main tourist Islands are up to just under 80 a week.
The people are lovely and speak a number of languages, the fish is excellent, the prices are cheap and the nightlife is vibrant (go outside of the hotel).
I think the Canary Islands have a lot to worry about especially with the number of 5 star plus hotels being built.
I believe in 20 years it will be the place to visit. If you go for 2 weeks to an all inclusive you won't get the chance to see what real life is.
I believe the Canary Island will be left behind in the next 20 years. That's why I bought here!!

cheery
01-03-2014, 07:27
To those who say Cape Verde is barren, what do you think Verde means?

I appreciate that this is The Tenerife Forum but there are some interesting videos here:

http://www.capeverde.com/islands.html

Jabba43
01-03-2014, 09:26
"I believe the Canary Island will be left behind in the next 20 years. That's why I bought here!!"

Might be dead by the time you get a return on your investment :) I like Tenerife because of the infrastructure and the proximity to Europe. Cape Verde you still have an extra couple hours to go on the journey which could be a pain for some. Cape Verde may be an alternate choice one day but the Canary's have a huge head start.

The advantage for me maybe is a few degrees warmer in the winter when I bring the family here.

I appreciate that this is The Tenerife Forum but there are some interesting videos here:

So looks pretty much like here as far as scenery goes, colonial architecture, the population looks like far less Northern European so I guess you would feel more like you are in Africa or the Caribbean.

Heh, I think you would need to build an Iceland shop there to even tempt most of the people here. Looks interesting for a visit but at first sight not for me to live unless you like second rate infrastructure.

Tdm
01-03-2014, 09:56
Nice to see an alternative opinion about the Islands before we go there to form our own.
Apart from once in Egypt (at the Taba Hilton) have never chosen to go on an All Inclusive Holiday.
Much prefer to see the "real" parts of a Country and meet with the locals.

A friend of ours who is a builder and owns a number of properties on Tenerife did fly out there some years ago
to assess the situation and see whether it was worth investing there, but at the time he said there was little infrastructure
and it was like Tenerife was before it became a popular Tourist destination.

Looking forward to seeing for myself.

essexeddie
01-03-2014, 11:53
I made this post and saw two islands and what I saw was not good. There are ten islands so I cant speak for the other eight. But what I saw was two barren windy Islands in the dark ages. But I'm sure there are better, there must be.
Also you have to remember that when going there you need worldwide travel insurance which can be expensive if your older.

Foz
02-03-2014, 14:40

When I was there and questioned why it was called Cape Verde I was told that years ago it had been very green. But then the Portuguese came and ripped up all the trees! As soon as this happened the winds then stole all the soil and since then very little has grown there. I kid you not, as soon as you move away from the coast there is not so much as a blade of grass to enhance the view! Anyone who compares that to Tenerife has obviously never visited the stunning forests on our mountains.

9PLUS
02-03-2014, 16:38
Nice one Fox

rosemary
02-03-2014, 16:59
I'm still worrying about that hard working guy on benefits with the 8 month pregnant wife who is flying out there from Southend.......this is a wind up isn't it? haven't had such a good laugh in a long while.

kathml
02-03-2014, 17:26
Let's look at It logically it's another couple of hours away that makes it almost long haul it's got very little water air travel is not going to get any cheaper or faster for the next few years so I would say unless Canarian authorities go daft with regulations it's going to be no competition

cheery
04-03-2014, 14:43
Undoubtedly Tenerife wins hands down for infrastructure, ease of access, price of travel. There is also the variety of things to do and levels of accommodation to appeal to everyone. A point I made on a thread a long time ago. Tenerife offers something for everyone.

Krisstina
06-03-2014, 14:06
My friend in work recommened it to me but no, I have doubts - nah I will stick with Tenerife - yippee

Tdm
06-03-2014, 14:37
Two female friends of ours are currently on that Cape Verde cruise - will ask them about it when they get back before my wife and I go on it.
Geography can't be their strong point though as they had to rush round just before setting off to change their Travel Insurance from Europe only to Worldwide as they didn't realise Africa was not part of Europe! :o

essexeddie
06-03-2014, 16:59
I doubt that their opinion will be any different than what I posted.
I was disappointed with what I saw. There are probably nice hotels there but little else.
For another two hours of flying for just a couple of degrees more temperature, is it worth it?