PDA

View Full Version : Other Why can't people dress appropriately in public in Tenerife?

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 15:37
Why do some men have to walk through the town or along the sea front with no tops on? Its disgusting. I remember years ago that it was an offence in Spain to do that.
Nothing worse than a big fat hairy sweaty gut coming towards you in the town.
I wouldn't mind if it was like my six pack torso.:eyebrows:

primrose
28-02-2014, 15:40
Why do some men have to walk through the town or along the sea front with no tops on? Its disgusting. I remember years ago that it was an offence in Spain to do that.

Cause they have come with Ryan Air and only brought hand luggage and their Tshirt is in the wash.

Malteser Monkey
28-02-2014, 15:52
Cause they have come with Ryan Air and only brought hand luggage and their Tshirt is in the wash.

:laugh:

Don't they carry the sun and wear sandals and socks too ? Ohh that was an old thread:whistle:

Medman
28-02-2014, 17:44

They have been watching the introduction to Benidorm on TV ...... now that's a belly !

essexeddie
28-02-2014, 19:17
I like the fat gay guy with a tee shirt slogan "Only here for the crack"

Jabba43
28-02-2014, 20:50
I do not complain about the ladies though in their binikis. Got a good ass view quite away from the beach just this week whilst driving.

marbro8
28-02-2014, 21:44
i always walk along the front without a top on, but i haven't got a 6 pack:(, but luckily i haven't got a huge beer gut either:cheeky:, and after being on the 5.2 diet for only 4 days and lost 3 lbs i may look rather trim in about 8 weeks:eyebrows:

rosemary
28-02-2014, 22:58
I find it aggressive behaviour. Nasty. What it's really saying is "---- you. I'm going to get my share of the good stuff. I don't give a toss wot I look like.'.....

I think people are getting more outwardly aggressive. About a lot of things. It's a decline in themore moral outlook of the recent past, where people cared more about what others felt and thought. We used to call it plain good manners.
It's reflective of the more recent 'entitlement' mentality. 'I'm here, I'm entitled, stuff you'. Depressing.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

i always walk along the front without a top on, but i haven't got a 6 pack:(, but luckily i haven't got a huge beer gut either:cheeky:, and after being on the 5.2 diet for only 4 days and lost 3 lbs i may look rather trim in about 8 weeks:eyebrows:

It's OK on the beach Malb. But not on the pavements.

marbro8
28-02-2014, 23:28
I find it aggressive behaviour. Nasty. What it's really saying is "---- you. I'm going to get my share of the good stuff. I don't give a toss wot I look like.'.....

I think people are getting more outwardly aggressive. About a lot of things. It's a decline in themore moral outlook of the recent past, where people cared more about what others felt and thought. We used to call it plain good manners.
It's reflective of the more recent 'entitlement' mentality. 'I'm here, I'm entitled, stuff you'. Depressing.

It's OK on the beach Malb. But not on the pavements.but it is so bloody hot sometimes and i always think i am missing out on tanning:)

Santiago
28-02-2014, 23:57

Well done on the diet M8, you are doing splendidly. Of course you don't need a six pack - that's for show offs - and the beer gut is just appalling. You are obviously just a thoroughly good-looking man with a (nearly) finely honed body which others can only admire! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

primrose
01-03-2014, 00:00

It's OK on the beach Malb. But not on the pavements.

They are on holiday, live and let live there are a lot worse things to worry about than somebody walking about without a top on.

marbro8
01-03-2014, 00:05
Well done on the diet M8, you are doing splendidly. Of course you don't need a six pack - that's for show offs - and the beer gut is just appalling. You are obviously just a thoroughly good-looking man with a (nearly) finely honed body which others can only admire! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/crying.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)i didn't realize what an exceptionaly gifted perseptionist you are:cheeky:

Vesna
01-03-2014, 01:16
They are on holiday, live and let live there are a lot worse things to worry about than somebody walking about without a top on.

:agree:

You always have a choice to look the other way.

kingbaker
01-03-2014, 02:17
:agree:

You always have a choice to look the other way.

Agent MM often walks around topless in Wales....the natives dont seem to mind...poor sods!!:p

rosemary
01-03-2014, 11:22

I know. I could list them. But I don't like aggression in any shape or form (a tattooed beer belly on full non glorious display is one of them) Primrose. It starts wars.

Malteser Monkey
01-03-2014, 11:28
Agent MM often walks around topless in Wales....the natives dont seem to mind...poor sods!!:p

Special Agent if you please:respect:

and only at night:crazy:

Suej
01-03-2014, 14:36
Only the young and beautiful should be allowed to holiday in Tenerife! The Fat, wrinkly, smokers and drinkers should be banned or only allowed out in the middle of the night so as not to offend! Ban 'em!:crylaughing:

primrose
01-03-2014, 14:56
Only the young and beautiful should be allowed to holiday in Tenerife! The Fat, wrinkly, smokers and drinkers should be banned or only allowed out in the middle of the night so as not to offend! Ban 'em!:crylaughing:

You forgot the footie supporters in their football tops.

essexeddie
01-03-2014, 18:46

From what I've seen if that was the case Tenerife would be empty.
Most people nowadays are fat, smoking and covered in tattoos, and that's just the women.:eyebrows:

kingbaker
01-03-2014, 19:54
You forgot the footie supporters in their football tops.

Keep going now Mrs. Yor're on a roll now!! Dont forget those awfull curling fans.....oh and cricket.......dont get me started!!!!:p

primrose
01-03-2014, 20:05
Keep going now Mrs. Yor're on a roll now!! Dont forget those awfull curling fans.....oh and cricket.......dont get me started!!!!:p

I think they should leave Tenerife as it is for the people that enjoy life and all the people that want to make it exclusive should go to that exclusive resort up near Abades, you will get all the exclusivity, peace and quiet you want.

LUCKY
01-03-2014, 21:53
i love Lower GDS no flat cap and no ferrets

Vesna
01-03-2014, 21:57
I know. I could list them. But I don't like aggression in any shape or form (a tattooed beer belly on full non glorious display is one of them) Primrose. It starts wars.

Oh, wow. I believe trying to impose on other what you think is right while they're not hurting anyone is a lot more aggressive than the biggest, jelliest tattooed belly out there.

BTW, I come from an ex war zone and let me tell you, there was not a tattooed belly in sight. But there were a lot of people trying to force their beliefs and way of life on others. Nuff said.

LUCKY
01-03-2014, 22:11
I Love .................................................. ............. some text missing

Ecky Thump
01-03-2014, 23:25
I Love .................................................. ............. some text missing

Vodka and Coke!

LUCKY
01-03-2014, 23:27
Vodka and Coke!
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ecky Thump
01-03-2014, 23:29
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ok Ok, calm down, how was I to know that you prefer Campari and soda.

LUCKY
01-03-2014, 23:31
Ok Ok, calm down, how was I to know that you prefer Campari and soda.
Youre round carry on , i will save the seats,

So sorry .. I thought the thread was ....................

NO ICE...................

Ecky Thump
01-03-2014, 23:35
Youre round carry on , i will save the seats,

Call the flight attendant.....the macho one.

Better behave now or I will be expelled from this happy land of sensibility!:cheeky:

LUCKY
01-03-2014, 23:38
Call the flight attendant.....the macho one.

Better behave now or I will be expelled from this happy land of sensibility!:cheeky:

Please notice .. I have shut up sush sush...

rosemary
02-03-2014, 11:25
Oh, wow. I believe trying to impose on other what you think is right while they're not hurting anyone is a lot more aggressive than the biggest, jelliest tattooed belly out there.

BTW, I come from an ex war zone and let me tell you, there was not a tattooed belly in sight. But there were a lot of people trying to force their beliefs and way of life on others. Nuff said.

I was giving my 'opinion' in answer to a question. Is that 'trying to force my beliefs and way of life on others'? I don't write placards or go on TV or write articles in the media. I occasionally write on this little forum. How sad is that. rolleyes2:

BTW I am curious as to why one would expect to see any tattooed beer bellies on display in a war zone.....combat fatigues would have been more preferable I'd have thought. Just my opinion.

But I get the idea. It's just that I am a long way from being a Radicalist. I am far more of an old fashioned romanticist who longs for the days when good manners and grace and an awareness of the feelings of others were considered admirable qualities. (The idea of having to go and find these qualities in an 'exclusive' enclave of the wealthy appals me. Is it only the rich who possess them? From what I know of such locations the aggression is there only more so, it's worse in fact.)

So I find myself living instead in the 'real' world, one of entitlement, and greed and a disregard for the feelings of others. Doesn't matter really what part of the world one lives in except that yes, holiday destinations do tend to see perhaps more of the stress of modern life and on full display.
Holidays are incredibly stressful. I hate em. rolleyes2:

primrose
02-03-2014, 12:07
I was giving my 'opinion' in answer to a question. Is that 'trying to force my beliefs and way of life on others'? I don't write placards or go on TV or write articles in the media. I occasionally write on this little forum. How sad is that. rolleyes2:

BTW I am curious as to why one would expect to see any tattooed beer bellies on display in a war zone.....combat fatigues would have been more preferable I'd have thought. Just my opinion.

But I get the idea. It's just that I am a long way from being a Radicalist. I am far more of an old fashioned romanticist who longs for the days when good manners and grace and an awareness of the feelings of others were considered admirable qualities. (The idea of having to go and find these qualities in an 'exclusive' enclave of the wealthy appals me. Is it only the rich who possess them? From what I know of such locations the aggression is there only more so, it's worse in fact.)

So I find myself living instead in the 'real' world, one of entitlement, and greed and a disregard for the feelings of others. Doesn't matter really what part of the world one lives in except that yes, holiday destinations do tend to see perhaps more of the stress of modern life and on full display.
Holidays are incredibly stressful. I hate em. rolleyes2:

So why are you living on one of the busiest Holiday Islands in Europe.???

Angusjim
02-03-2014, 12:07

Marbro I have been on 5:2 diet for six weeks and have lost 16lbs but fear will not loose anything this week I have been eating & drinking all weekend:laugh:

canarybird
02-03-2014, 12:10
I agree that it's just not nice, and is bad taste for men to walk around shirtless in a public place that's not a beach or pool area.
So yes, I do look the other way.

This quote says it all:

"Bare chests are acceptable in one's own garden, on the beach, on the yacht and by the pool.

After that, we get into a grey area and, helpfully, that grey area is not the sprout of hair on the chest of a stranger, confronting you at the bus stop or in the supermarket.

It is the rudery, the bald arrogance of the bare chest, be it Simon Cowell's expensively groomed one, or the one belonging to that half-naked bloke by the chiller dripping chest sweat on to your lettuce.

Topless men of Britain - you, too Simon Cowell - you are an affront to public decency.

So put your shirts back on, or else."

Link to whole article is here. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1301710/JAN-MOIR-Why-men-shirtless-public--beach-Simon-Cowell.html) :)

rosemary
02-03-2014, 12:46
So why are you living on one of the busiest Holiday Islands in Europe.???

Well that is a bit of a personal question but here goes, if you really want to know (??) ....We had to sell up our property in Spain because of the recession and we only had this holiday flat investment (ha ha) to live in and so I thought that we could give it a try and so we came two years ago. I love the climate. The winters in Spain are almost as bad (not quite!!) as the UK. Anyway we can't sell the apartment so we have to live in it. But...I hear you ask, why did you buy a flat in this island in the first place? because.....yawn yawn,
1. it IS only 4 hours from the UK and our family.
2. Climate is the best.
3. EU health care. We are not wealthy, we are Pensioners.
4. It's a lovely spacious one bedroom apartment. Bright and sunny all day.
5. It was within our budget.
6. We thought the Canaries had a lot of character. I love the mountains and the ease of their accessibility.

Is that reason enough for you Primrose? I honestly never considered Tenerife to be SOLELY a 'Holiday Island' to be 'avoided it like the plague'. Perhaps you think I should have done.
Sadly we are imperfect human beings who may not always make the 'right' decisions. And maybe our finances limited us in our choices. It's what happens in real life Primrose.

Tshirt
02-03-2014, 13:21
:tiphat:

I've got tattoos and a beer belly but not in the same place. Am I banned? :redcard::whistle:

Angusjim
02-03-2014, 13:23

I've got tattoos and a beer belly but not in the same place. Am I banned? :redcard::whistle:

Yes:crylaughing:

marbro8
02-03-2014, 13:26

I've got tattoos and a beer belly but not in the same place. Am I banned? :redcard::whistle:nope, you are in a very exclusive club that accounts for about 30% of the male population over the age of 50 so be proud, and thank you for coming out and sharing that with your fellow forum members, it takes a lot of "GUTS":laugh::tiphat:

Malteser Monkey
02-03-2014, 13:30
where's the tattoos ??:devil:

Tshirt
02-03-2014, 13:30
Yes:crylaughing:

nope, you are in a very exclusive club that accounts for about 30% of the male population over the age of 50 so be proud, and thank you for coming out and sharing that with your fellow forum members, it takes a lot of "GUTS":laugh::tiphat:

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

where's the tattoos ??:devil:

Now that would be telling. :bootyshake:

Jabba43
04-03-2014, 09:25
Went for dinner the other night and some bare chested bodybuilder types went past. One of the had a pair of budgie smugglers on so tight that you he tool was very visible. As they walked past the Indian shops they all smiled and smirked and a couple next to us grinned uneasily. Really no need to put your genitals on display like that.

Malteser Monkey
04-03-2014, 10:20
Went for dinner the other night and some bare chested bodybuilder types went past. One of the had a pair of budgie smugglers on so tight that you he tool was very visible. As they walked past the Indian shops they all smiled and smirked and a couple next to us grinned uneasily. Really no need to put your genitals on display like that.

sorry but that did make me laugh - and no not what you want to see in public

LUCKY
04-03-2014, 10:26
You ought to see me when i have a :feret:down my trousers:flatcap:

Medman
04-03-2014, 10:40
You ought to see me when i have a :feret:down my trousers:flatcap:

Trying to catch the budgie ?

Malteser Monkey
04-03-2014, 10:49
Trying to catch the budgie ?

:crylaughing:

FerretFodder
04-03-2014, 11:07
:crylaughing:

"Try Not! Do, or do not...there is no try!" [ancient ferret saying]
:feret:

Medman
04-03-2014, 11:37
"Try Not! Do, or do not...there is no try!" [ancient ferret saying]
:feret:

Right, so what would the ferret DO WHEN it caught the budgie ?

Malteser Monkey
04-03-2014, 11:41

play scrabble !:crazy:

FerretFodder
04-03-2014, 11:43

Please! Not before the watershed! :scared:

Tshirt
04-03-2014, 11:57
Is there a lot of money to be made smuggling budgies or can you do it on the cheep. :whistle:

Medman
04-03-2014, 12:06
Is there a lot of money to be made smuggling budgies or can you do it on the cheep. :whistle:

Yes but you could be up in front of the Beak for trying to feather your own nest

FerretFodder
04-03-2014, 12:11
Yes but you could be up in front of the Beak for trying to feather your own nest

I'm told it's worth Trill-ions, so worth the risk.

LUCKY
04-03-2014, 12:11

Could also be a bit of a trill:flatcap:

Ok its rough on the bottom :flatcap:

FerretFodder
04-03-2014, 13:19
Anyway, back on topic...

...when the wife and I go away on holiday, though we may not be the paragons of sophisticated fashion, we do endeavour to cover up away from pool-side. I can well understand why there are complaints, given some of the sights we have seen. To be fair, it isn't only the Brits who are guilty.

We tend to hold an informal competition with a range of categories such as:

Biggest beer gut
Worst tattoo
Family dressed the most alike
Most inappropriately dressed under 16yrs
Grandparents dressing like grandkids
Holiday-makers looking as though they wish they were anywhere else (usually stroppy teenagers)
Holiday-makers dressed for another climate
Best collection of animal prints and bling on one person

It whiles the time away if you end up in a streetside taverna. Mind you, beware the gaping baggy shorts at the next table - they trump budgie-smugglers any day! :scared:

Krisstina
06-03-2014, 13:58
It's ok on the beach but nowhere else.

Angusjim
06-03-2014, 14:14
It's ok on the beach but nowhere else.

What about at or in the pool:laugh:

Krisstina
06-03-2014, 14:16
Doh - I forgot about that. ~ Sorry, blonde moment - hee hee.

primrose
06-03-2014, 14:39
Anyway, back on topic...

...when the wife and I go away on holiday, though we may not be the paragons of sophisticated fashion, we do endeavour to cover up away from pool-side. I can well understand why there are complaints, given some of the sights we have seen. To be fair, it isn't only the Brits who are guilty.

We tend to hold an informal competition with a range of categories such as:

Biggest beer gut
Worst tattoo
Family dressed the most alike
Most inappropriately dressed under 16yrs
Grandparents dressing like grandkids
Holiday-makers looking as though they wish they were anywhere else (usually stroppy teenagers)
Holiday-makers dressed for another climate
Best collection of animal prints and bling on one person

It whiles the time away if you end up in a streetside taverna. Mind you, beware the gaping baggy shorts at the next table - they trump budgie-smugglers any day! :scared:

What do you class as holiday makers dressed for another climate?

marbro8
06-03-2014, 18:03
Is there a lot of money to be made smuggling budgies or can you do it on the cheep. :whistle:the trick is to hide them in a case of 50 sleeves of ciggs:laugh:

FerretFodder
06-03-2014, 21:40
What do you class as holiday makers dressed for another climate?
Well, we have seen obvious holidaymakers in fleeces and jeans when on Tenerife at Easter (warm would be a fair description).

For our own part, we have been much pleased (and flattered) when addressed in French or other languages by timeshare touts as their opening gambit.

marbro8
06-03-2014, 22:01
Well, we have seen obvious holidaymakers in fleeces and jeans when on Tenerife at Easter (warm would be a fair description).

For our own part, we have been much pleased (and flattered) when addressed in French or other languages by timeshare touts as their opening gambit.:laugh: i get addressed in spanish most of the time, and the reaction on there faces when i say in my broad west midlands accent "anythin for yow cupcake":laugh:

primrose
06-03-2014, 22:41

For our own part, we have been much pleased (and flattered) when addressed in French or other languages by timeshare touts as their opening gambit.

Probably not holiday makers, most of the residents have been in long pants and fleeces and on Tuesday I went to PDLCruz and it was really cold people out in Boots, coats, scarves and gloves,when you have lived here a few years you get acclimatised and you do feel cold. going up to PDLCruz it was 9 degrees and raining.

Tshirt
06-03-2014, 23:38

Sorry but why would you be flattered to be mistaken for a Frenchman? :confused:

primrose
06-03-2014, 23:43

That's what I was wondering as well:confused:???

kingbaker
07-03-2014, 01:48
sorry but that did make me laugh - and no not what you want to see in public

I think that there's too much discrimination in this thread.....I mean there's not a word about females with their tops off, or hanging off, or their tatoos. Maybe we could devote as many posts to this topic!!

Your thoughts on peanut smugglers please!!:D:p

bonitatime
07-03-2014, 08:05

I would be flattered too ;-)

Medman
07-03-2014, 09:02

1945 advert "French rifles for sale, only dropped once" ....... :D

FerretFodder
07-03-2014, 10:48
1945 advert "French rifles for sale, only dropped once" ....... :D
Will the real Jeremy Clarkson please stand up! :wink2:

Amid all the stereotyping, I fear that nationalities such as the French and Italians are held up as paragons of good taste in dress sense (no, don't even go there with the cross-dressing! :p) whereas we British tend to be seen as the slobs who are probably the cause of this whole thread (rightly or wrongly). Make of that what you will - I imagine there are more rich pickings to be had. :)

Incidentally, I would be inclined to put brackets around the last two words of the thread title anyway! :)

Angusjim
07-03-2014, 15:32
Nothing like a bit of cross dressing:lol:

Ecky Thump
07-03-2014, 16:56
Nothing like a bit of cross dressing:lol:

Not recommended in Montrose, Johnshaven or Bervie.....Aberdeen maybe!!:D

marbro8
07-03-2014, 19:08
1945 advert "French rifles for sale, only dropped once" ....... :Doh la la medman:flatcap:, sorry i thought it was a beret:laugh:

Tshirt
07-03-2014, 21:06
oh la la medman:flatcap:, sorry i thought it was a beret:laugh:

I've just found my old army beret, if I wear it on my next trip to Tenerife perhaps nobody will notice my tattoos and big belly. :whistle:

marbro8
07-03-2014, 21:22
I've just found my old army beret, if I wear it on my next trip to Tenerife perhaps nobody will notice my tattoos and big belly. :whistle:it would take either a 20 gallon stetson or the wicked witch's hat out of the wizard of oz to disguise mine:laugh:

LUCKY
07-03-2014, 22:19
Thank goodness , we still have standards , Here at Lower GDS :flatcap:

Tshirt
07-03-2014, 22:31
Thank goodness , we still have standards , Here at Lower GDS :flatcap:

Ah but they"ll be lower than the standards in Upper GDS ;)

LUCKY
07-03-2014, 22:45
Ah but they"ll be lower than the standards in Upper GDS ;)
I don't really think think so. just because the Elite raised the standard

“Self-righteousness is much like a spiritual egocentricity. It constitutes a secular type of love that thrives under conditionality, one in which is only existent after an individual meets the adopted standards of the condemner; oppositely, unconditional love is a holy love.”

As with marathon runs and lengths of toilet paper, there had to be standards to measure up to.”

And Middle GDS:flatcap:

marbro8
07-03-2014, 23:01
i didn't understand any of that :laugh:but it sounded cosher:laugh:

melm
08-03-2014, 00:00
it would take either a 20 gallon stetson or the wicked witch's hat out of the wizard of oz to disguise mine:laugh:

Just stick to the diet Marboro:lol:

primrose
08-03-2014, 00:15
Just stick to the diet Marboro:lol:

Then you will be able to wear the kind of pants that are on Canaries TV now, Never seen as many bare arses in my life.

Margaretta
08-03-2014, 01:16
Chunks of this thread are hilarious...lots of very witty people here. In observing passers-by, don't forget 'the worst bottled suntan', the harem pants whose centre is above the ankles, the combover......
I don't like seeing 'tops off men' when they are strolling about or in a cafe. It seems inappropriate but
(a) for some people this is their only holiday in the year and they are eager to catch every kiss of the sun on their bodies.
(b) a larger person may walk more slowly, gets hotter and therefore finds it cooler without his shirt or quicker to acquire his longed-for suntan.
(c) his wife or partner may find him more attractive stripped to the waist
(d) he thinks he looks more attractive when stripped to the waist
(e) he can show off his upper-body tattoos and underarm hair
(f) he has the joyous freedom of being topless because it proves he is on holiday; too cold to do it consistently in the garden
(g) In some countries a large belly is a sign of wealth and prosperity.
(h) He does it because he can; no-one is telling him otherwise.
Amen.

FerretFodder
08-03-2014, 11:00
:laugh: i get addressed in spanish most of the time, and the reaction on there faces when i say in my broad west midlands accent "anythin for yow cupcake":laugh:
"Yo orlwroight maert?"
"Si"
"Bostin'"
:)

By the way, living in the heart of the Black Country, I reckon I'm allowed some outrageous mangling of the dialect. :D