PDA

View Full Version : Should I fly Thomas Cook... or not?

Ecky Thump
28-02-2014, 21:54
I'm looking for advice on whether to book flights with Thomas Cook from Scotland (Glasgow) to Tenerife, we will need hand luggage and luggage in the hold as it's for four weeks.

For many years we have flown with Ryanair and have never encountered any problems or complaints. I am thinking of flying with Thomas Cook as Ryanair have not yet released their flights for late October, I have put Jet2 (rightly or wrongly:dontknow:) out of my mind.

Now it's for you to tell me if I should wait for Ryanair to release their flights or book Thomas Cook, so please share your experiences and advice.

marbro8
28-02-2014, 22:01
I'm looking for advice on whether to book flights with Thomas Cook from Scotland (Glasgow) to Tenerife, we will need hand luggage and luggage in the hold as it's for four weeks.

For many years we have flown with Ryanair and have never encountered any problems or complaints. I am thinking of flying with Thomas Cook as Ryanair have not yet released their flights for late October, I have put Jet2 (rightly or wrongly:dontknow:) out of my mind.

Now it's for you to tell me if I should wait for Ryanair to release their flights or book Thomas Cook, so please share your experiences and advice.we have flown with TC a few times mate, never been delayed and they have nice flight times as well:)

Ecky Thump
28-02-2014, 22:06
we have flown with TC a few times mate, never been delayed and they have nice flight times as well:)

Do you prebook your seats or are they allocated to you, I normally pay the extra few pounds for extra legroom, but to be honest I'm not particularly tall and Carol is only 5' 3".

macdonald5
28-02-2014, 22:17
We have flown Glasgow to Tenerife with Thomas Cook - ok flight, no delays ,only slight downside is seating space, we not tall but seating seemed less than Ryanair, ex Globespan , Thomson etc
We usually now use Jet2 from Glasgow ( flights released earliest so suits accommodation booking)
October this year Jet2 prices are the most we have ever paid though , eye watering £750 total for two !! Ouch
You are best to prebook seats Ecky or could end up sitting apart

Ecky Thump
28-02-2014, 22:27
We have flown Glasgow to Tenerife with Thomas Cook - ok flight, no delays ,only slight downside is seating space, we not tall but seating seemed less than Ryanair, ex Globespan , Thomson etc
We usually now use Jet2 from Glasgow ( flights released earliest so suits accommodation booking)
October this year Jet2 prices are the most we have ever paid though , eye watering £750 total for two !! Ouch
You are best to prebook seats Ecky or could end up sitting apart

Ryanair have prices have also been creeping up, we have booked with them for June ex Prestwick and the total cost with luggage, extra legroom and booking fees is £501.

marbro8
28-02-2014, 22:37
Do you prebook your seats or are they allocated to you, I normally pay the extra few pounds for extra legroom, but to be honest I'm not particularly tall and Carol is only 5' 3".we always pre book everything, you have to pay extra but even though we are both vertically challenged we always book the seats where there is no one sitting behind us (like a free row) usually the escape exits, and we paid over £600 with ryanair for may

Ecky Thump
28-02-2014, 22:42
we always pre book everything, you have to pay extra but even though we are both vertically challenged we always book the seats where there is no one sitting behind us (like a free row) usually the escape exits, and we paid over £600 with ryanair for may

Don't put yourself down....you are not vertically challenged, it's the rest of us who are overgrown, lanky, too tall, giants etc. :laugh:

imablue
28-02-2014, 22:46
Jet2 allow you to have upto 3 bags in the hold ..(66kgs) you have to pay for it .. and 10kgs each hand luggage ..

Susief
28-02-2014, 22:50
We have used TC quite a few times. We tend to prebook seats. Only downside for us is that you only get 5kg hand luggage.
We usually get them when they are about £50 each.

macdonald5
01-03-2014, 08:46
Easy Jet fly Edinburgh to Tenerife ,if you fancy a wee trip cross country Ecky Thump
Prices cheaper than Jet2 but like Ryanair not available as soon

Might be worth a check on Skyscanner site too
Our dates Jet2, Thomas Cook and Ryanair were similar priced, Jet2 advantage of 22kl hold luggage and 10 k hand luggage each

golf birdie
01-03-2014, 10:23
I flew a few weeks back and TC was 29 quid one way, Ryan air was 70 quid, I went with RA as by choice I will never fly on TC again after using them a year ago.

The seats are designed for dwarfs with no legs and they use planes which must of been around when the Wright bothers were 1st thinking of flying. Shocking.

kez1000
01-03-2014, 10:39
Last time we used Thomas Cook was jubilee weekend. Clean, on time but I also thought the seats were very tightly spaced on the aircraft we were on. Wasn't the end of the world but with us living closer to Manchester airport we are spoilt for choice really.

In answer to your question, I would probably wait for Ryan Air prices.

Megaloo
01-03-2014, 10:51
Flown TC a few times with no problems apart from 5 Kilos Hand luggage
Been lucky Husband disabled so have always been given front row with leg room other side of exit door as disabled not allowed there.

johnr
01-03-2014, 11:13
been with TC a few times. Latest enquiry - one way from Newcastle 11th April - no luggage £95 and good flight times. Compares favourably around that date with EasyJet £112 but Jet2 on 1st April (no joking) is £65

melm
01-03-2014, 13:22
My biggest gripe with TC is the check in at Glasgow airport. All flights book in at the same place in terminal 2 with very few of the desks open. We flew with them last year and must have waited more than an hour to check in our luggage. Because of the lengthy weight we had to rush through security to catch our flight. No time for our usual coffee. As others have said the leg room is not as good as it is with RA.

Ecky Thump
02-03-2014, 18:12
After reading these posts, I think I might just wait another month or so before booking for November and once again rely on Ryanair to get me to Tenerife.:)

Susief
02-03-2014, 18:45
After reading these posts, I think I might just wait another month or so before booking for November and once again rely on Ryanair to get me to Tenerife.:)

Ecky as a regular traveller to TFS I would only book TC if it was a cheap flight, say £50 and under. They aren't a bad airline and have had worse over the years. We always book a meal with them too as pretty good value.

Ecky Thump
02-03-2014, 18:49
Ecky as a regular traveller to TFS I would only book TC if it was a cheap flight, say £50 and under. They aren't a bad airline and have had worse over the years. We always book a meal with them too as pretty good value.

I call cheap £100!! However early I seem to book for flights from Scotland, I can never get much under £80 plus luggage, booking fees etc.:(

Susief
02-03-2014, 19:23
I call cheap £100!! However early I seem to book for flights from Scotland, I can never get much under £80 plus luggage, booking fees etc.:(

We are spoilt in the North West as we have Manchester, Liverpool and Blackpool.
I always say if I get a return flight for under £100 return (plus bags/seats) it's a bargain.
In the past we have paid £270 return each with bags at Christmas time.
I would hang fire for RA personally.

chelseamassive
02-03-2014, 21:24
Thankfully Norwegian air are now flying from Gatwick to Tenerife ,nothing better than having free wi-fi on board to pass away the time .The price I paid [£24.99] wasn't bad either !

macdonald5
02-03-2014, 21:42
Thankfully Norwegian air are now flying from Gatwick to Tenerife ,nothing better than having free wi-fi on board to pass away the time .The price I paid [£24.99] wasn't bad either !

Sounds superb chelseamassive , we nearly pay as much for our drinks and sandwich !!
Well done you !

minimadmandy
04-03-2014, 00:30
Last time we flew with TC they seemed to spend the whole flight trying to sell us something. Obviously more so that on other flights as I don't usually notice it. Hand luggage allowance is small but we always have checked luggage. In the last year I have flown with BA, TC, Monarch and I'm trying Norwegian soon. Sometimes mix and matching outgoing with different airline to return journey. Never pre book seats and always get 4 seats together. Planes all every similar and boring. Food very similar. New Monarch plane seats have more leg room than the old ones but very hard to sit on! Nicest staff Monarch, worse staff BA! Never flown EJ or Thomson because they are always the most expensive in school holidays. Worse airline I have ever used to get to Tenerife is Iberia. Appalling customer service, rude staff and they have managed to loose our suitcases twice, I would rather not come than ever travel with them again! My final decision is usually based on price.

chelseamassive
04-03-2014, 00:35
Iberia lol ,its like you are doing them a favour if you fly with them ,my worst airline too!

Skeggy
04-03-2014, 09:05

Just shows how lucky you are, our friends in the north appear not to have the same advantages as us further south.