PDA

View Full Version : Health Should I have my annual blood test San Miguel clinic or go private?

rosemary
09-03-2014, 14:32
Any feedback on this clinic up in San Miguel would be appreciated. Went for the fitst time last year and quede wiih hundreds for hours. My OH is due for a prostate exam, he says no way, Any other info on what he could expect? Online info says they don't do these prostate tests in US or UK as they are a) unreliable
b) the treatment has not been proven to be of any real value. Our apt is 7.45AM !!

Question..is it worth going private and shelling out on these tests? Anyone been to the Excellent (NOT) Clinic for them?

Ecky Thump
09-03-2014, 14:42
The prostrate PSA examination should only take a few minuets and it's completely pain free.

As for the money side (if there is a need to go private), the question you should ask yourself is....how much do you value life?

Any one who suggests that treatment for any irregularity is valueless is a fool and even worse a dangerous person to listen to!

rosemary
09-03-2014, 15:47
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2573395/The-10-prostate-test-New-cancer-check-twice-accurate-no-need-embarrassing-examination.html

Just found this. Think we might wait for this. 10 pounds in UK private clinic in UK when he goes over next.

slodgedad
09-03-2014, 15:51
I have my bloods done there regularly and the clinicc is very good. The blood test results are 2 pages long and virtually everything is covered.
The prostate exam is not usually performed there but if the blood test results warrant it the exam is arranged.

Anyone that tells you that a prostate test should be ignored should speak to 2 of my friends who, without them, would not be here today.

It is the silent killer. Virtually symptomless until it is too late.

I may sound melodramatic but if everyone, as they got older, had this simple test then thousands of lives would be saved every year.

Ecky Thump
09-03-2014, 15:59
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2573395/The-10-prostate-test-New-cancer-check-twice-accurate-no-need-embarrassing-examination.html

Just found this. Think we might wait for this. 10 pounds in UK private clinic in UK when he goes over next.

I'm not sure that it's available yet and if it is it will be difficult to find a clinic carrying out the procedure, also it's in its infancy and not fully tested......£10 !! Again finance comes into it, if that is a consideration, how much are you going to pay in expenses to travel to a clinic that offers the procedure???

primrose
09-03-2014, 16:06
Any feedback on this clinic up in San Miguel would be appreciated. Went for the fitst time last year and quede wiih hundreds for hours. My OH is due for a prostate exam, he says no way, Any other info on what he could expect? Online info says they don't do these prostate tests in US or UK as they are a) unreliable
b) the treatment has not been proven to be of any real value. Our apt is 7.45AM !!

Question..is it worth going private and shelling out on these tests? Anyone been to the Excellent (NOT) Clinic for them?

They do these blood tests in the UK, my Brother in Law had one and they found he had Prostrate Cancer which was a big shock to him as he had no symptoms. Yes it is a pain having to go to San Miguel at the same time as everybody else and queue but what is an hour of your time if it saves your life.

rosemary
09-03-2014, 17:49
They do these blood tests in the UK, my Brother in Law had one and they found he had Prostrate Cancer which was a big shock to him as he had no symptoms. Yes it is a pain having to go to San Miguel at the same time as everybody else and queue but what is an hour of your time if it saves your life.

An HOUR? Last year I was there for nearly 3 hours.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure that it's available yet and if it is it will be difficult to find a clinic carrying out the procedure, also it's in its infancy and not fully tested......£10 !! Again finance comes into it, if that is a consideration, how much are you going to pay in expenses to travel to a clinic that offers the procedure???

We both visit regularly to family in the UK in London and south east. . So no extra expense involved. But it may take a year for it to be ready, even at private clinic..

primrose
09-03-2014, 18:01
An HOUR? Last year I was there for nearly 3 hours.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We both visit regularly to family in the UK in London and south east. . So no extra expense involved. But it may take a year for it to be ready, even at private clinic..

It just depends where you are on the list, yes I know it's a pain everybody having to go at the same time but if you are high on the list you might only be there for half an hour if you are low down on the list you could be there a couple of hours,I went two weeks ago for a blood test to check for throat cancer which I have to have every time before I go to the Endocrine Clinic and I am grateful that they do it, I wouldn't care if I waited all day, better that than not having it done and ending up with something far worse than waiting 1 or 2 hours for a test. It is the way they work here and if you live here then you just have to get used to it.I cannot believe anybody's life is full that they cannot give up a couple of hours of their time for something that could save their life.

kathml
10-03-2014, 01:10
Had two friends diagnosed with prostrate cancer at same time they were both sixty it was the aggressive type one who was very fit followed the whole health program the other who smoked like a chimney and drank vodka as if it was going out of fashion did nothing
At the end of the day both died a week apart within a year

Angusjim
10-03-2014, 11:25
Rosemary I have had treatment for Prostate cancer and in fact I am going to see my oncologist on Wednesday. I have printed off the Daily Mail report and will ask him his thoughts on this and will get back. In the meantime if want to PM me with any queries / questions you have please feel free.

Angusjim
12-03-2014, 18:01

Well I took this article to my oncologist today and he read it thru and he said he obviously reads up on research a lot and has never seen anything mentioned in any medical journals etc with regard to any large scale clinical tests done on protein EN2 research and he would be amazed given this that it will become available on the NHS any time soon & that the statement from Prostate Cancer UK in the article probably sums it up.