PDA

View Full Version : Shoppers gamble with food past ‘sell-by’ date

Canarian Weekly
14-03-2014, 12:30
FOOD carrying an expired sell-by date is eaten regularly by one in three people, as a result of the recession. A study by the Spanish Confederation of Housewives, Consumers and Users (Ceaccu) says that up to 61% of consumers have had to revise their food-shopping habits since the early recession days. The association is concerned [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/shoppers-gamble-food-sell-by-date/)

Addick
14-03-2014, 15:53
It's not usually a 'gamble' to eat something that has an expired sell-by date (or 'best before') as the title states. Further down the article there is even a reference to the real date that should be observed and that is the 'use-by' date which is put on highly perishable products like tubs of coleslaw, cream etc. Far too much food is wasted because people throw it away because it is beyond it's 'sell-by/best before' date.

I work in a supermarket and all too often we have to throw away things like melons, pineapples etc just because the date has expired yet the fruit isn't even ripe yet!

bonitatime
14-03-2014, 17:27
I think common sense is the most important factor with past date foids

Addick
14-03-2014, 17:54
I think common sense is the most important factor with past date foids

Indeed it is.

We are even meant to refuse the sale of flowers that we reduce if they went out of date 'yesterday'. The company would rather we throw them in the bin than get something for them. I ignore company policy and ask the customer 'you're not planning on eating them, are you?' (but don't tell my bosses that!)

marbro8
14-03-2014, 20:30
the only things you need to worry about being out of date food wise is pork fish and chicken/turkey, i can never understand why people throw beef or steak away after the sell by date? people pay extra for meat that has been matured, and some of the best and most expensive cheese has got bloody mold on it:lol:

warbey
14-03-2014, 21:07
:wave::wave::cheeky:;).
I must ask the Lookie Man about the Sell by Date

next time I need a Watch.!....;););):zzz:

kathml
15-03-2014, 01:41
Meat and fish and most other food god supplied a good guide Use it it's called your nose if it doesn't smell good bin it

But even food that's slightly off is perfectly edible if well cooked at a high enough temperature