PDA

View Full Version : Can I open a Spanish bank account while still in the UK?

JenniferA_
15-03-2014, 19:43
Evening all!!
Apologies if this has already been discussed.
I am moving to Tenerife at the end of April and looking for some advice regarding open a bank account.

I am looking to open a Spanish current account before moving over to Tenerife as I would like to transfer all my savings into the account and have it all in place when I arrive.
Are there banks in Tenerife that will allow people to open an account while in the UK with the intention to move to Tenerife? - I do have a Spanish address to register the account to.
I've contacted multiple banks and all the responses have been that I can only open an account in person.
If this is not possible, it is not the end of the world, just want some to raise the question.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer :)

Tom & Sharon
15-03-2014, 22:29
Here you go. You can do it with Banca March, but to my knowledge they are the only one.

You will need to know which will be your local branch when you arrive though.

http://www.bancamarch.es/en/

lynnangela
15-03-2014, 23:49
Before you transfer all your money please check with the bank in question what the máximum amount you can withdraw would be (in the even you are buying a property or paying a deposit for instance). You might find there are limits imposed that you would not get in the UK. Banca March impose a limit of 6000 euro a month unless you have made other arrangements with them first.

JenniferA_
16-03-2014, 11:13
Thank you both for your advice :)

Jennifer

Angusjim
16-03-2014, 11:18
Also keep in mind that as in the UK don't trust the Banks at all as they are all lying muggers, only difference is they smile and wear smart clothes whilst doing it:(

lapalma
16-03-2014, 11:36
If I was you I would not move all my savings to a bank in Tenerife,think back to what happened in Cyprus.This is my opinion only.

JenniferA_
16-03-2014, 12:23
Thank you all for your advice.
I will have a re-think about what is the best way to do this.

Jennifer

Stoney
16-03-2014, 13:03
Suggest you look at a company like Hifx, when we moved out to Tenerife we kept our accounts in the UK and only transferred large sums when required and got much better rates than transferring it all at once in the beginning. Using a bank that has branches in the UK and Tenerife is an advantage and speeded up smaller transfers, we used Halifax(Lloyd's), but not sure if Halifax branch in Costa Adeje is still open, as we are temporarily back in UK at present. Hope this helps, would also suggest you rent a place before you decide to buy if thats what you intend to do.

JenniferA_
16-03-2014, 13:47
This is very useful to know. I contacted Lloyds last week and waiting for a response, so we shall see what they can offer. I will be renting an apartment while I am over there.

Tom & Sharon
16-03-2014, 14:36
Lloyds isn't Lloyds any more, it's part of Banco Sabadell. Just like Barclays Espana is a totally different company to Barclays UK and Santander Espana and Santander UK.

Same name, same logo, different companies.

Banca March is the only Spanish bank with a UK branch which is in London.

As has been pointed out, it is daft to keep your savings in Tenerife. You could check out whether you are covered by UK compensation laws if you keep your savings in a Banca March account in London, and transfer it as you need it to a local branch in Tenerife. I would think you would be covered, but check it out. Banca March is the safest bank in Europe anyway.

languagefan
16-03-2014, 15:19
You will need an NIE number to open a bank account, and if u r transferring big sums, I suggest you get your green residencia paper first to open a resident (as opposed to nonresident) account, as the commissions most bank take off ANY kind of movement in and out of your account is ridiculously massive with non- resident status. You can alway visit your bank in the UK before coming over and talk with a specific banker and tell them you will need to do a major transfer while in Spain in near future. You get her full name, phone number and branch address and manage the transfer through a written signed instruction without any problem.
Alternatively, you can use services like FCG which I have used many times for smaller and bigger transfers and they have been great, professional and punctual and give u much better exchange rates than banks.
http://www.foremostcurrencygroup.co.uk

I am extremely happy with la Caixa, as u can manage all kind of actions online, and also at their high tech cash points, that r equipped with a proper keyboard, so I never need to queue inside the bank.

And avoid Banco Santander at any cost!!
Good luck :)

lynnangela
16-03-2014, 18:15
You dont need an NIE number to open a bank account with Banca March, certainly at the San Blas Golf Del Sur branch anyway. We opened an account in Feb and their only requirement was bank statements from our UK bank and our Passports. However Santander wanted our everything you could imagine including our first born child. It depends on the bank

Rickiebear
16-03-2014, 18:20
Hi, we opened a Solbank, part of Sabadel, via their London branch. We chose Solbank as there was an arrangement with our UK bank, HSBC. It was easy, with the minimum of paperwork.

Megaloo
17-03-2014, 00:11
I am also very satisfied with Sol Bank

Angusjim
17-03-2014, 13:37
Open an account whilst still in the UK!! I cannae get Santander in San Eugenio to answer any E mail's to arrange an appointment to discuss my account when I am over in April, so good luck trying open a new account:mad:

JenniferA_
17-03-2014, 18:08
Thanks to all who have replied, I really appreciate all your advice.
Does anyone bank with Barclays over in Tenerife?
I received an email will all the documentation and guides to opening a Spanish account while in the UK. Just need to complete the forms and validate everything with a UK branch and they will send my documents over to Barclays Espana.
Seems a bit too easy to me (not that it is a bad thing!)
Will obviously check the charges and do a bit more research but looks like a good bank to me.

Tom & Sharon
17-03-2014, 19:50
Thanks to all who have replied, I really appreciate all your advice.
Does anyone bank with Barclays over in Tenerife?
I received an email will all the documentation and guides to opening a Spanish account while in the UK. Just need to complete the forms and validate everything with a UK branch and they will send my documents over to Barclays Espana.
Seems a bit too easy to me (not that it is a bad thing!)
Will obviously check the charges and do a bit more research but looks like a good bank to me.

We bank with Barclays, and have done for over 5 years. We originally applied through a UK branch, for them to send everything to Barclays Espana.

It didn't work, so we had to apply locally in the end. I don't think the paperwork ever got further than Madrid.

We have had one major disaster with them, where they actually closed our account in error and returned all our money to the UK. We then had to go through the rigmarole of opening a new account, getting new cards, switching our direct debits etc. They did apologise, but it was just ludicrous.

We find them expensive, and to be honest, unhelpful and well - rude! We walked out recently after being ignored in branch for over half an hour. If you think it's going to be like banking in the UK you are in for a shock.

We have had enough, and are switching to Banca March.

JenniferA_
17-03-2014, 20:53
I am not expecting it to like the banking in the UK. I am aware things are completely different over there hence why I am on this forum asking for some advice on the best banks to go for. I am not desperate to open an account before I go - happy to open one when I arrive but just wanted to explore some options.

Rickiebear
09-09-2014, 08:08
Hi

Barclays have sold their Spanish banks, although they may retain the Barclays name for a while. Therefor there is no longer a UK connection.

As I have said before we are very pleased with Banc Sabadol (Solbank). We have never had a problem. Online banking is easy, and in English. We also have our household insurance with them.

princessmonika
09-09-2014, 09:06
yes i am with solbank for 4 years now --never had a problem -- they speak german english and italian in my branch in las chafiras and if i need a letter in spanish they have being very helpfull-- i am lerning spanish now, but i am now older, so it takes more time to lern --but i give it a shot

essexeddie
09-09-2014, 17:06
I have been with Barclays in Tenerife for over 20 years and never really had any problems. I just started to find them a bit expensive now and was thinking of changing. But don't want to upset the apple cart. Spanish banks are nothing like in the UK.
Never heard of Solbank, is there a branch in LC?

Ecky Thump
09-09-2014, 18:03
Never heard of Solbank, is there a branch in LC?.

They are part of the Sabadell group of banks, a very large banking group.

Solbank. 0534 – LOS CRISTIANOS AV. JUAN CARLOS I

essexeddie
09-09-2014, 18:15
Thanks ET for the heads up. Will give them a looksy

laimakap
17-09-2014, 16:48
Do they speak English in Banca March, San Blas Golf Sur branch? Thanks