PDA

View Full Version : Health Is it really necessary to use sun cream in Tenerife?

Chine
17-03-2014, 00:14
Me the boss and the kids all wear the same normally factor 20 at Xmas , Easter or summer we just slap it on ! After many conversations with people in my profession (I'm a window cleaner) we are outside all day rain or shine the dreaded C word has arisen more than once, people are shy to admit their cream usage if any , what's yours ? C'mon be honest !

lynnangela
17-03-2014, 00:20
I just assume that because I don't burn I don't need it, but that's a false security im sure, especially living in the sun. Im sure you very sensible using sun lotion year round if you work outside all the time, but ive known many people that work outsite constantly and have never had any skin issues. Are you in UK or Tenerife though? If you are in Tenerife than you are doing the very sensible and right thing, not sure though if its needed all year round in the UK

Chine
17-03-2014, 00:37
We are based in the uk by Xmas Easter and summer I mean our time in Tenerife altho I still wear cream at work in the winter when sunny, but the C word I'm talking about is now rearing its head with people in the uk who don't even travel abroad , all I'm asking is how do you protect yourself , everyone is different I have friends on the costa del sol one of which uses baby oil only !!!!even in summer !!! Absolute madness

chifleta
17-03-2014, 13:59
and don't forget to wear a hat.... i've seen someone with skin cancer of the top of their head, not nice :(

I wear factor 20 or 30 depending how long i'm going out in the sun.... 30 normally when i'm out a long time fishing because I don't wan't lines from my socks LOL. Always 30 or more on my face, so I can stay an English rose, and I nearly always wear a big straw hat if i'm walking or fishing, shades me right down to my shoulders. I still slip up and burn on occasion, but as i've seen close up family members on my hubbys' side that look like dark wrinkled leathery sacks of skin, I decided I don't wanna look like that ;)

p.s. always remember to re-apply every time you get out of water, or every hour... and they suggest you put the cream on 20 minutes before you go out in sun. Just be sensible

bonitatime
17-03-2014, 20:44
I dont use anything over 15 as i am unhappy about the quantity of aluminium in those creams but reapply 15 often And dont go in the sun too long

Chine
17-03-2014, 20:54
Aluminium ? I've never heard of that it doesn't sound good is it certain brands or all ?

Susief
17-03-2014, 21:03
We use P20 everyday when we are in Tenerife.

bonitatime
17-03-2014, 21:07
Its in most brands of High factor sun cream
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070812084458.htm

slodgedad
17-03-2014, 21:46
Whether or not you are used to thr sun it is essential. I have lived here for 20 years and still wouldn't dream of laying in the direct sun with no protection, whatever time of year.

warbey
17-03-2014, 21:59
That question will always be answered Yes.

Look at some who have lived in the sun for Years.....

I understand You are supposed to use various grades according to Your Tan.

High if Pale (50) then reducing to around 12 or 15 later on..

All professional Cricketers wear it on Their Faces, (

so it must make sense..

If You read it up, apparently it does deteriorate, so be careful what and where You buy it too....

Tom & Sharon
17-03-2014, 23:21
I (Sharon) come from a family of skin cancer sufferers. I have been told I have a 50% chance of developing it. In fact, my younger brother already has. My father has malignant melanoma, as did my grandmother.

There are risks associated with using sun creams, and their ingredients. See here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_health_risks_of_sunscreen

I believe the risks of sun cream to be real.

I neither wear sun cream, nor sunbathe.