PDA

View Full Version : Relocation First post advice needed on all aspects of relocation to Tenerife

Wordy
22-03-2014, 13:44
Hi all, many thanks in advance for reading and any advice you may be able to offer. My dream has always been to live by the sea coupled with a laid back way of life where you can enjoy living. We have weighed up options and Tenerife but possible another Spanish island seems to have most of our wish list. We are a youngish couple me 41 and my partner 33 with a 1 year old girl and timing feels about right for a try if not a full move. My partner is studying to be a teaching assistant and I am a buyer by trade so unsure of the jobs situation as I read things can be hard to find. We are fortunate to already own our home with no mortgage and also have a second house which we let out. Our thinking was to rent our our own home also which would give us circa £900 income per month. We also have some reasonable savings also to back this up that I am happy to use some of to try this out as its probably now or wait 20 years until we are at typical retirement age. We would like to have a 2 bed apartment /home for 6 month plus to try things out somewhere not in the centre of las Americas for example but very close to the sea and beech and somewhere with a community of similar folks to help ease our way into things. Can anyone offer any advice on our situation with regards to area to look at, job situation, typical living expenses, paperwork I need to start looking at.
Thank you to all in advance
Phil, Sarah & Baby Evie

lapalma
22-03-2014, 17:59
Without spoiling your dream I would advise you to look at past posts in the forum from many thousands of people who want to live in Tenerife as many members have spent a lot of time answering posts about what you want.Kindest regards and all the best.

Tom & Sharon
22-03-2014, 22:58
Hi all, many thanks in advance for reading and any advice you may be able to offer. My dream has always been to live by the sea coupled with a laid back way of life where you can enjoy living. We have weighed up options and Tenerife but possible another Spanish island seems to have most of our wish list. We are a youngish couple me 41 and my partner 33 with a 1 year old girl and timing feels about right for a try if not a full move. My partner is studying to be a teaching assistant and I am a buyer by trade so unsure of the jobs situation as I read things can be hard to find. We are fortunate to already own our home with no mortgage and also have a second house which we let out. Our thinking was to rent our our own home also which would give us circa £900 income per month. We also have some reasonable savings also to back this up that I am happy to use some of to try this out as its probably now or wait 20 years until we are at typical retirement age. We would like to have a 2 bed apartment /home for 6 month plus to try things out somewhere not in the centre of las Americas for example but very close to the sea and beech and somewhere with a community of similar folks to help ease our way into things. Can anyone offer any advice on our situation with regards to area to look at, job situation, typical living expenses, paperwork I need to start looking at.
Thank you to all in advance
Phil, Sarah & Baby Evie

You sound like you are really well established in the UK, with decent careers, 2 properties and a baby.

In a nutshell, don't blow it by following a dream to live in Tenerife or Spain. If you want to relocate, and I understand that entirely, go to an English speaking country that has a stable economy!

bonitatime
22-03-2014, 23:29
Neither of you speak Spanish?
I would think very careful about coming 900€ is not enough to live on

Apollo
23-03-2014, 08:51
As others have said...think very carefully.
Having a place to rent in the UK is fine but it can go pear shaped. We had an apartment that we were renting out but ended up costing a lot of money to us because of various issues over the years.
If you don't speak Spanish then teaching etc is almost certainly out of the question and being a buyer...you will find a LOT of people trying to do similar things....
Bringing a 1 year old over will require lots of looking into. You won't have health cover and she (nor you) will be covered on the health system. At 18 months she will be due another set of vac and then there are obviously any medical checks needed, DR's apts etc.
Health cover is provided when you and/or your partner are in legal employment with contract (not always easy...).
Also I believe you can now only obtain an NIE number (similar to NI number in the uk .It is obtainable from the Policia station) if you have employment....but I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will clarify.
With the greatest of respect, and I LOVE Tenerife so wouldn't speak ill of it, but it isn't all rosy and it can be EXTREMELY hard work.
The red tape is ridiculous and the various legal requirements also.
Without fully knowing what you are entering into I would think very carefully as it is extremely costly to make the move (if possessions etc are involved) and it could be a very costly mistake.

Hepa
02-04-2014, 19:14
To obtain residencia N.I.E. number, you must within 90 days register at the appropriate Foreigners Office, (varies from Island to Island), you will have to prove that you have health care provisions and that you have sufficient savings and or income per person to be able to survive.

LUCKY
02-04-2014, 22:30
To obtain residencia N.I.E. number, you must within 90 days register at the appropriate Foreigners Office, (varies from Island to Island), you will have to prove that you have health care provisions and that you have sufficient savings and or income per person to be able to survive.

Please excuse my ignorance , you say within 90 days , What happens on day 91. 92. 93 .94 .95. Etc

Hepa
03-04-2014, 11:15
Please excuse my ignorance , you say within 90 days , What happens on day 91. 92. 93 .94 .95. Etc

No Idea, I have had residencia for over 10 years, so your question has never arisen.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Here is the link to the U.K. Gov site, https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Hepa
25-04-2014, 18:46

Failure to register as a foreign resident within the 90 days, attracts the same penalties as a National failing to apply for D.N.I., which is a fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documento_Nacional_de_Identidad

timmylish
26-04-2014, 01:27
This O/p seams to me to be slightly different to a large number of people seemingly wanting to live elsewhere, Tenerife being the main attraction apparently. His financial situation for starters is way in front of 99% of the others who come on here and that would give me grounds for believing, if they really want it, a move to Tenerife might be plausible. Its just a question of how determined they would be on such a move. In recent years I,ve believed that a sum of 2k per month income would be sufficient to try us out for a period of 6 months and not be in any worse a position than they currently are so long as they did not dispose of their properties in the UK and did not incur any more debt than they currently have. Jobs are of course the 2nd biggest headache here (making the 1st one become worse and that of course is money). Come on guys, for a 6 month trial period not speaking Spanish at the moment can be got over (but not if the move became permanent). So, without answering each and every point raised by the O/p you can see that I disagree with the bulk of the respondents on here. Am I more likely to be correct or my fellow Forum Members?