PDA

View Full Version : Other Can we pack food in hand luggage?

Chine
23-03-2014, 13:44
Hi all we used to always take hold luggage and packed sausage bacon cheese beans etc with the leftover weight, but since all our holiday clothes and flip flops are already there we only take hand luggage can we take any of these food stuffs? I know your not supposed to but can you get away with it ?
Cheers ,chine

LUCKY
23-03-2014, 13:53
We dont bother taking food in hand luggage,our airline really look after us :flatcap::feret:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLYpKGVBUg

macdonald5
23-03-2014, 14:04
Hi all we used to always take hold luggage and packed sausage bacon cheese beans etc with the leftover weight, but since all our holiday clothes and flip flops are already there we only take hand luggage can we take any of these food stuffs? I know your not supposed to but can you get away with it ?
Cheers ,chine

Don't think you should have any problems as long as 'food' does not have too much liquid in it ,have known friends having certain M &S ready meals confiscated at security for this reason. It cannot be considered 'liquid' or ' semi liquid' eg yogurts,honey etc

We always carry our own made up sandwiches for flight and never any issues,we also carry our own tea bags and coffee in hand luggage

John_Graydon
23-03-2014, 14:22
It would be safer putting the food in the hold luggage & the other stuff in the hand/carry on.

Chine
23-03-2014, 14:56
It would be safer putting the food in the hold luggage & the other stuff in the hand/carry on.

We don't need hold luggage anymore our stuff is already there just wanted a few home comforts in the hand luggage

primrose
23-03-2014, 15:02
They took my Cheese Spread and jar of Lemon Cheese off me but let me bring 3 Gammon Joint's through customs.Can I just ask why you bring beans when every shop in Tenerife sells them?

Megaloo
23-03-2014, 15:06
I had tins of Red Salmon taken sealed tins of course but because they contained liquid.??

tfs1
23-03-2014, 15:17
Hard cheese ie cheddar ok but you probably will get stopped after your hand luggage goes through the xray machine, I nearly always do, as it shows as a solid block.

Butter is a no no - a friend tried to take some through and was told at Security she couldn't take it as 'it could be melted down into a liquid'.

Not sure about 'no drain' tuna as it does have the smallest drop of liquid in the tin, probably also not allowed.

primrose
23-03-2014, 15:41
Wonder what they do with all the food they take off people.

AL JAY
23-03-2014, 15:51
This thread was brought to you by the year 1982 ..... *legs it* :wink::whistle:

Malteser Monkey
23-03-2014, 15:55
I always bring Queso blanco de cabra back to UK in a tub in my suitcase as I haven't found any locally that tastes anywhere near as nice !

used to bring Manchego too but can get that here now - but it's very pricey

:yum::yum::yum:

Chine
23-03-2014, 16:11
They took my Cheese Spread and jar of Lemon Cheese off me but let me bring 3 Gammon Joint's through customs.Can I just ask why you bring beans when every shop in Tenerife sells them?

My kids will only eat hienz beans but like tesco spaghetti

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Also we don't need to take much so we have lots of room and we've already paid for our share of the fuel

marbro8
23-03-2014, 16:54
although we take cheese, corned beef, salmon, cereals and packets of vinegar and brown/red sauce we have always put it in the suitcase, they wouldn't let you carry it in your hand luggage:)

Malteser Monkey
23-03-2014, 17:08
although we take cheese, corned beef, salmon, cereals and packets of vinegar and brown/red sauce we have always put it in the suitcase, they wouldn't let you carry it in your hand luggage:)

Corned beef Marbro - there are loads of types of corned beef over there - there where I started eating it !

what about spam :cheeky::laugh:

John_Graydon
23-03-2014, 17:11
We don't need hold luggage anymore our stuff is already there just wanted a few home comforts in the hand luggage

Sorry Chine, I know what you mean now. All you can do is try and see if they let you go through with it.

Ecky Thump
23-03-2014, 17:23

You forgot to mention your two dozen world famous "Greg's Gristle Pies"!!:crylaughing:

kathml
23-03-2014, 17:29
Can't think of any item on your list not available in Tenerife

deepdivejunkie
23-03-2014, 17:35
Just dont' try putting marzipan in your hand luggage. has the same smell as C4

Ecky Thump
23-03-2014, 17:39
Wonder what they do with all the food they take off people.

I've never yet seen a thin customs officer!:laugh:

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2014, 18:12
I take food all the time, so much so that Tom said he's not flying with me any more!

You'll get through with anything as long as it's not remotely a liquid.

marbro8
23-03-2014, 18:26
Corned beef Marbro - there are loads of types of corned beef over there - there where I started eating it !

what about spam :cheeky::laugh:never seen any? don't like spam the last time i tried to bring spam, slodge took it off me:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
23-03-2014, 18:48
never seen any? don't like spam the last time i tried to bring spam, slodge took it off me:laugh:

well have a look next time mate

as for the spam Slodgie loves a bit

I've never yet seen a thin customs officer!:laugh:

nor one without a cough :whistle:

slodgedad
23-03-2014, 19:11
I love spam. Tastes nice and also keeps me busy..;)

delderek
23-03-2014, 19:15
Bloody hell, I can't believe the things people travel with, Its Tenerife not the Amazon rain forest. You will get anything you want in the Iceland shops.:whistle:

imablue
23-03-2014, 19:17
Can you get Buttermilk..or is this the wrong thread ..?

Ecky Thump
23-03-2014, 19:17
I love spam. Tastes nice and also keeps me busy..;)

Is it Chinese spam that you still prefer?:whistle:

slodgedad
23-03-2014, 19:20
Is it Chinese spam that you still prefer?:whistle:

Usually Indian that keeps me busy.

warbey
23-03-2014, 20:41
'

Some Years ago there was an Outbreak of foot and mouth in the U.K.

Other Countries wanted to stop any transfer of Infection and restricted certain Foodstuff entering Their Countries.

I think that normally Security is just that, but Another Agency oversees Food transfer/s.

Somewhere is a few Web Sites with more Details. I am sure.

I don't know them, sorry, as all We take these Days are Teabags and a Travel Kettle., so We aren't bothered..

Tom & Sharon
23-03-2014, 21:35
Bloody hell, I can't believe the things people travel with, Its Tenerife not the Amazon rain forest. You will get anything you want in the Iceland shops.:whistle:

Not if you're fussy you can't!

delderek
23-03-2014, 22:30
'

Some Years ago there was an Outbreak of foot and mouth in the U.K.

Other Countries wanted to stop any transfer of Infection and restricted certain Foodstuff entering Their Countries.

I think that normally Security is just that, but Another Agency oversees Food transfer/s.

Somewhere is a few Web Sites with more Details. I am sure.

I don't know them, sorry, as all We take these Days are Teabags and a Travel Kettle., so We aren't bothered..

Any food can be transferred freely within the EU. (Bans can be temporarily imposed as you mention)

Malteser Monkey
24-03-2014, 10:08

Swede - always had that brought over - and it's a bit of a weight too.

Some of our member have trouble finding the milk in Mercadonna !:whistle::laugh:

canarybird
24-03-2014, 11:35
Swedes (Swedish turnips) or rutabagas, also just called turnips in Canada.....grow well here I discovered.

After going years missing them as one of my favourite vegetables with a roast beef dinner, except when away on holiday, I decided to try and grow them here in my Pto. de la Cruz garden. They grew really well, I was surprised to see. However they had a lush green top growth that was heavily infested with whitefly which entirely covered the leaves.
However the underground fleshy parts were intact and perfectly shaped. Now I have to try and get some more seeds. The top growth does need a lot of room though.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-WCTNmXq/0/M/Yellow%20Turnip-M.jpg

Malteser Monkey
24-03-2014, 11:44
Good for you CB

so you still can't buy them there ?

If you like I can buy you some seeds and post them to you

canarybird
24-03-2014, 11:49
Thank you MM. No I haven't seen the seeds here. But I will wait to buy them in the fall to plant during the winter here, as I think it's too late in the season for seeds now.
I hope to go to Canada this summer and will bring some back with me. But thanks for your offer. :)

LUCKY
24-03-2014, 11:54
Good for you CB

so you still can't buy them there ?

If you like I can buy you some seeds and post them to you

You have given me an idea , Bring the seeds in my hand luggage this way it will make provisions for my many months stay on the Rock. I may post a request for an allotment with a shed, I am getting quite excited now, maybe i could start an Allotment society.Or even a Tenerife Allotment Forum TAF for short.:flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Malteser Monkey
24-03-2014, 12:02
Thank you MM. No I haven't seen the seeds here. But I will wait to buy them in the fall to plant during the winter here, as I think it's too late in the season for seeds now.
I hope to go to Canada this summer and will bring some back with me. But thanks for your offer. :)

Well you know where I am :D

Tom & Sharon
24-03-2014, 12:12
I've brought Swedes, cabbages, potatoes, haggis and always bring loads of bits 'n bobs of cooking stuff from Marks and Sparks.

I'm back again on Sunday, and I've had a request for some Jersey Royals from a very well known member........;) ;)

primrose
24-03-2014, 13:02
I've brought Swedes, cabbages, potatoes, haggis and always bring loads of bits 'n bobs of cooking stuff from Marks and Sparks.

I'm back again on Sunday, and I've had a request for some Jersey Royals from a very well known member........;) ;)

Did you have to mention Jersey Royals :devil:,the one thing I crave at this time of year nothing here to compare to them.

Malteser Monkey
24-03-2014, 13:13
Did you have to mention Jersey Royals :devil:,the one thing I crave at this time of year nothing here to compare to them.

I'll swap you for Papas arrugadas :yum::yum::yum:

Be nice to Sharon and who knows :whistle:

Tom & Sharon
24-03-2014, 15:50

Well actually Primrose, you might just know the askee. No fighting though!

primrose
24-03-2014, 16:22
Well actually Primrose, you might just know the askee. No fighting though!

Can't promise that if I find out who it is.:gun::grrrr:

Malteser Monkey
24-03-2014, 16:27
It's Tom !:cheeky:

Tom & Sharon
24-03-2014, 16:41
Can't promise that if I find out who it is.:gun::grrrr:

Look close to home ;)

Malteser Monkey
24-03-2014, 16:43
Mr Primrose :dontknow::wink:

warbey
24-03-2014, 21:02

Some Years ago I had a conversation with a Chap in Catalunya who was Lifting His own Spuds.

He made the Point that Weather conditions in Spain meant He could grow TWO Crops a Year.

Find someone Handy Primrose and that could mean two lots of Jersey Royals.

All You need are the seed Potatoes and Manure......!

chifleta
25-03-2014, 13:25
I have friends who come over in a large group and they bring a frozen mince dish in sealed tupper and big bag of grated cheese cheese, enough to feed 9 of them by the time they arrive in the evening, heat it up, melt cheese on top, make up pasta quickly, Bob's yer aunty, sorted :hungry:

Malteser Monkey
25-03-2014, 14:04
I have friends who come over in a large group and they bring a frozen mince dish in sealed tupper and big bag of grated cheese cheese, enough to feed 9 of them by the time they arrive in the evening, heat it up, melt cheese on top, make up pasta quickly, Bob's yer aunty, sorted :hungry:

For once I am lost for words:faint::cheeky:

chifleta
25-03-2014, 14:15
For once I am lost for words:faint::cheeky:

:lots-jumping::lots-jumping::mexicanwave::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot :

Malteser Monkey
25-03-2014, 14:24
:lots-jumping::lots-jumping::mexicanwave::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot :

Oi you !!! :fpull:

I take it they don't come bearing gifts !:laugh:

chifleta
25-03-2014, 14:25
Oi you !!! :fpull:

I take it they don't come bearing gifts !:laugh:

;) them visiting is gift enough :spin:

Malteser Monkey
25-03-2014, 14:26
;) them visiting is gift enough :spin:

:respect::wink:

chifleta
25-03-2014, 14:27
:respect::wink:

wow, I was expecting this emoticon from you :

:vomit::v3:

chortle chortle

Malteser Monkey
25-03-2014, 14:33
wow, I was expecting this emoticon from you :

:vomit::v3:

chortle chortle

Not where family and friends are concerned :tiphat:

chifleta
25-03-2014, 14:36
Not where family and friends are concerned :tiphat:

nawwww you softy :thanx::wave:

I better get myself off to work, hope you're all well :)

Malteser Monkey
25-03-2014, 14:41
Yup we're all fine !

have a good day at work - missing you on here tho'

tracy hampshire
25-03-2014, 15:30
the last time i went back to the uk, i brought 2 swedes, 2lb of smoked back bacon , 2lb tomato sausage ,2lb cumberland sausage, 2 barnsley chops, 4 bacon chops , 2 lamb shanks,............. 3 turtle doves 2 french hens & a partridge in a pear tree, never had any bother xxx

Malteser Monkey
25-03-2014, 15:37
the last time i went back to the uk, i brought 2 swedes, 2lb of smoked back bacon , 2lb tomato sausage ,2lb cumberland sausage, 2 barnsley chops, 4 bacon chops , 2 lamb shanks,............. 3 turtle doves 2 french hens & a partridge in a pear tree, never had any bother xxx

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl:

Love it !

only trouble you had was the 50 extra passports:laugh:

3 french hens 2 turtle doves :laugh::crylaughing:

chifleta

emmess
25-03-2014, 19:31
I don't want to take anything out to Tenerife, I just want to bring back some of the sweet black pudding - yum yum yum, but only made in the Canary Islands :(

Ecky Thump
25-03-2014, 19:38
I don't want to take anything out to Tenerife, I just want to bring back some of the sweet black pudding - yum yum yum, but only made in the Canary Islands :(

I have to take out two whole Stornaway Black Puddings, the trouble is it weighs quite heavy.

Chine
25-03-2014, 20:38
Anyone like white pudding we used to have when we were younger but you don't see it about much anymore and if you do find it it's normally poor quality and bland

warbey
25-03-2014, 21:00
'

'

So let's get this straight.

When You see the Fellow in Shorts and tatty trainers for the whole Fortnight,

It's because His smart, fashionable Wife has Her clothes in one Suitcase and the Scoff in the Other...?

x.............x .??????:confused::confused::spin::laugh::laugh::fl atcap::flatcap:

Chine
25-03-2014, 21:26
'

'

So let's get this straight.

When You see the Fellow in Shorts and tatty trainers for the whole Fortnight,

It's because His smart, fashionable Wife has Her clothes in one Suitcase and the Scoff in the Other...?

x.............x .??????:confused::confused::spin::laugh::laugh::fl atcap::flatcap:

You could have a point I know me and most of the blokes I know would rather take decent food instead of fancy clothes

LUCKY
25-03-2014, 23:42
You could have a point I know me and most of the blokes I know would rather take decent food instead of fancy clothes

Never :crylaughing: With (nearly) a tesco on your doorstep :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

JillADavidson
26-03-2014, 14:30
Just dont' try putting marzipan in your hand luggage. has the same smell as C4

Last September my OH was carrying a small rucksac which we suspect (although we couldn't tell) had been marked sometime previously by a visiting cat. The scanner picked up on it and he got the full "swab for drugs" treatment in Manchester Airport. :lol:

essexeddie
27-03-2014, 18:57
Why all this food brought in when you can buy it all in Iceland? I know some of it is expensive but is it worth it when it cost £17 for hold luggage each?

Chine
27-03-2014, 20:43
We are talking about hand luggage mate , don't do hold luggage our stuff is there

LUCKY
27-03-2014, 20:56
We are talking about hand luggage mate , don't do hold luggage our stuff is there

And no charge from price rite :flatcap:

Tom & Sharon
27-03-2014, 21:20
Why all this food brought in when you can buy it all in Iceland? I know some of it is expensive but is it worth it when it cost £17 for hold luggage each?

Iceland only sells rubbish really. If you want nice stuff, you have to bring it!

essexeddie
27-03-2014, 21:27

Mmmmm apparently people are filling suitcases.

read the other posts MATE!

Chine
28-03-2014, 00:35
Have you been asleep for a few days ? Are you sure your Eddie Essex more like like joey , say red backwards !

essexeddie
28-03-2014, 12:43
Just read the posts wiseguy, that's if you can.

chifleta
28-03-2014, 14:06
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl:

Love it !

only trouble you had was the 50 extra passports:laugh:

3 french hens 2 turtle doves :laugh::crylaughing:

chifleta

HAHAHAHA :laugh::crylaughing:

tfs1
28-03-2014, 15:04
in fairness to Essexeddie there are a couple of references to hold luggage early in this thread.

Chine
28-03-2014, 15:55
Just read the posts wiseguy, that's if you can.

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier I have a lots to do before my forthcoming trip , where were you all week? Washing your ford Capri ? Or dancing round your white handbag ?

Malteser Monkey
28-03-2014, 15:58
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier I have a lots to do before my forthcoming trip , where were you all week? Washing your ford Capri ? Or dancing round your white handbag ?

Woh Woh no need for this

Chine
28-03-2014, 16:39
Woh Woh no need for this

I think if someone questions another persons ability to read then there will be all sorts of comments

If anyone wants to scroll back thru this thread I think you will find who got shirty with who !

essexeddie
28-03-2014, 19:10
I obviously touched a nerve so I'm off this thread with the brave keyboard warrior. Pft