PDA

View Full Version : Will a UK bought MIFI work in Tenerife?

peridot
24-03-2014, 16:54
I wonder if anyone can advise if a UK purchased MIFI will work in Los Gigantes? PC World say sometimes UK purchased MIFIs do not work abroad. Any techies out there who could help? Thank you!

Tshirt
24-03-2014, 19:15
:tiphat:

I can't speak for Los Gigantes, but I bought a MiFi last year from Amazon UK (Unlocked so it will take a Sim card from any network). Took it to Tenerife at Xmas and bought a local data Sim Card from A1 Computers in CC San Eugenio. It cost me Euros 20 for 1GB data, that lasted me nearly 3 weeks. (It was Euros 40 for 3GB). It worked brilliantly, no problems at all, connected an iPad and an iPhone when in the apartment. Didn't use it out and about, took advantage of any free WiFi going.

If you buy one make sure it's Unlocked. It'll work anywhere you get a 3G signal.

Welcome to the forum BTW

kingbaker
24-03-2014, 19:27
Oi!! Pardon my ignorance but wotts a Mifi.......
Is it like a Milf or a Gilf?:D:)

peridot
24-03-2014, 19:28
Many thanks for that Tshirt!:)

tfs1
24-03-2014, 19:37
A MIFI is a freestanding small 'dongle' (non USB) like bit of technology which you can put you 'Internet' SIM in to connect to the Internet.

It is normally used for devices that cant take a USB cable/Dongle and also for devices that only really can cope with WIFI style connectivity.

So you wirelessly connect your device, typically an IPAD, to the MIFI, to get Interent access.

Well thats my attempt at a description, maybe a better one will come along in a minute !

Tshirt
24-03-2014, 20:38
Oi!! Pardon my ignorance but wotts a Mifi.......
Is it like a Milf or a Gilf?:D:)

A MIFI is a freestanding small 'dongle' (non USB) like bit of technology which you can put you 'Internet' SIM in to connect to the Internet.

It is normally used for devices that cant take a USB cable/Dongle and also for devices that only really can cope with WIFI style connectivity.

So you wirelessly connect your device, typically an IPAD, to the MIFI, to get Interent access.

Well thats my attempt at a description, maybe a better one will come along in a minute !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mifi+unlocked&sprefix=mifi%2Caps%2C179

You can buy a MiFi in Tenerife, A1 Computers sell them but I think they were locked to Vodafone, not sure of the price though.

kingbaker
24-03-2014, 21:49
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mifi+unlocked&sprefix=mifi%2Caps%2C179

You can buy a MiFi in Tenerife, A1 Computers sell them but I think they were locked to Vodafone, not sure of the price though.

Lord no!!!! thanks I thought it was something interesting:D:rolleyes::beer:

But many thanks anyways!!
:D:(:)

TenerifeTeddy
24-03-2014, 23:31
As long as it is unlocked to all networks then a MiFi unit purchased in the UK, or anywhere else will work here. You just have to make sure you configure the radio signal to Spain, so the WiFi router transmits on the allowed Spanish frequency range.
To date I have put Mas Movil sims into MiFi units purchased here, the UK, France; Germany, Denmark and the USA. The other thing to do is to make sure you disable the SIM pin before configuring it for your desired network.

Vortex Wake
25-03-2014, 08:07
I use a UK purchased unlocked Mifi in Tenerife to allow me to connect my iPod Touch to the internet when on the beach.
My Huawei Mifi unit has an external antenna socket that can typical allow a faster connection due to better 3g signal reception , the unit also has a micro SD card slot , so allowing you to share pictures and files with other devices via wifi - plus , most Mifi should allow txt messaging too via the Mifi landing page on your chosen wifi device.

marbro8
25-03-2014, 18:42
so when you talk about sim card, are you talking about the sim card in your uk phone? with your network provider ? for instance my provider is orange/EE, if so how would that work with payment for use, because i have a monthly bill?:)

LUCKY
25-03-2014, 19:12
so when you talk about sim card, are you talking about the sim card in your uk phone? with your network provider ? for instance my provider is orange/EE, if so how would that work with payment for use, because i have a monthly bill?:)
I like your question .. I too am interested to see what explanation is given:flatcap:

TenerifeTeddy
25-03-2014, 19:36

Usually people buy Sims from a Spanish company to use here because otherwise you would incur roaming charges from another national carrier. The type of sim is exactly the same for phone or data use. It just depends how it is set up when you purchase it.

I sell Mas Movil sims, you can see their current tariffs here (http://www.masmovil.es). Tarifa Cero is the most popular. As well as PAYG on calls and data they offer contracts from only 1 month so are very good for people staying for only short periods of time. The Sim can also be parked for up to 9 months, if you come and go regularly.

kingbaker
25-03-2014, 20:36
A few years ago I bought a Spanish sim and put about €50 credit on it. I didnt use much of it and came back 4 or 5 months later and it was gone, and MY number re-allocated to some geeeza!!!

Needless to say I didn't do that again.:what:

marbro8
25-03-2014, 20:36
Usually people buy Sims from a Spanish company to use here because otherwise you would incur roaming charges from another national carrier. The type of sim is exactly the same for phone or data use. It just depends how it is set up when you purchase it.

I sell Mas Movil sims, you can see their current tariffs here (http://www.masmovil.es). Tarifa Cero is the most popular. As well as PAYG on calls and data they offer contracts from only 1 month so are very good for people staying for only short periods of time. The Sim can also be parked for up to 9 months, if you come and go regularly.i have clicked the link but it is all in spanish and i can't translate it?

warbey
25-03-2014, 21:16
i have clicked the link but it is all in spanish and i can't translate it?

Scroll down to the small yellow box. Click on it (mas razones) written in it)

when the next Page comes up, choose EN from the top Bar....

Simples...........................

TenerifeTeddy
25-03-2014, 21:45
i have clicked the link but it is all in spanish and i can't translate it?

At the top right of the page look for ES EN SE DE in circles. Click on EN and you will get the page in English :)

marbro8
25-03-2014, 21:47
Scroll down to the small yellow box. Click on it (mas razones) written in it)

when the next Page comes up, choose EN from the top Bar....

Simples...........................ahhh got it cheers:wink:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

At the top right of the page look for ES EN SE DE in circles. Click on EN and you will get the page in English :)got it thanks:wink:

delderek
25-03-2014, 22:15
At the top right of the page look for ES EN SE DE in circles. Click on EN and you will get the page in English :)

Do masmovil allow you to tether the phone. I.e use the phone as a hot spot for data.

TenerifeTeddy
25-03-2014, 22:39
Do masmovil allow you to tether the phone. I.e use the phone as a hot spot for data.

Yes, I have set that up a couple of times on smartphones for clients.