PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my UK Santander card in Tenerife with no charge?

Seboni121
25-03-2014, 09:39
Hi just wondering if its possible to use my Santander card (uk) in tenerife ? Without charges ? Same bank but different country so rather than take money with me just pop into Santander in tenerife and withdraw as normal or charges ?

junglejim
25-03-2014, 09:44
Some useful info here - I suspect the answer is you would be charged .

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?21574-Can-Santander-UK-customers-use-Tenerife-services&highlight=santander+bank+card

melm
25-03-2014, 20:18
Some useful info here - I suspect the answer is you would be charged .

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?21574-Can-Santander-UK-customers-use-Tenerife-services&highlight=santander+bank+card

we have a 1 2 3 account with Santander and were not charged when using this card at a Santander bank in Tenerife. On a previous visit we used this card at another bank and incurred charges.:nono:

Red Devil
25-03-2014, 23:56
I have a Santander 123 current account with debit card. As long as you use your card to withdraw cash at a Santander bank in Spain or Canaries you pay no charges and get your cash at the bank rate which is normally a couple of cents higher than in a money exchange shop.
However you must withdraw your cash from the ATM outside the Santander bank, you dont get this rate if you go inside the bank to withdraw the cash.
We never take cash with us now when we go to Tenerife, we just withdraw cash as and when we need it.

Seboni121
26-03-2014, 22:28
Very good indeed will use the 123 in atm outside

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Any idea of location of banks santander in costa adeje

Red Devil
27-03-2014, 00:01
Very good indeed will use the 123 in atm outside

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Any idea of location of banks santander in costa adeje

There is one just around the corner from St Eugens, opposite San Eugenio shopping centre, near Marios and the big estate agents whos name I have forgotten

essexeddie
27-03-2014, 19:04
I did get charged once with the 123 account and had a grizzle with them and got a refund.
Last time I made a withdrawal I compared it with my Metro account. I withdrew €200 from each account at the same time and got a slightly better rate with Metro. It was a £1 difference that's all. So not too bad.

Janet
04-07-2014, 03:12
I've just had my bank statement and have been charged £5 for every withdrawal I have Santander 123 account with Drew at the ATM outside Santander. Bank changes incurred was £125 in total so beware

essexeddie
04-07-2014, 19:56
I've just had my bank statement and have been charged £5 for every withdrawal I have Santander 123 account with Drew at the ATM outside Santander. Bank changes incurred was £125 in total so beware

Wow! didn't know that. So you will get charged more if you use another bank? Think I will keep my Metro Bank going along side my Santander account. Thanks for the heads up.

colin7777
05-07-2014, 08:48
Janet,

As long as you fund your 123 account with the minimal £500 per month then you should not be charged and I would contact them and demand your charges back. We used it a number of times at Easter, 2-3 cents better than at exchange shops and no charges.
Colin

essexeddie
05-07-2014, 16:29
Well that's changed my opinion back again, but who is right?
When I was comparing the two accounts (Metro and Santander UK) I only used the Spanish Santander ATMs, so I wouldn't of found any other charges. Mmmmm
The obvious way is a non Santander ATM. :(

timmylish
16-07-2014, 22:25
The simple solution to this problem is to try out one ATM by making a nominal withdrawal and whilst this transaction is being concluded the screen actually shows you if " transaccion is sin commissions" or similar.

SueB
17-07-2014, 12:23
I have a Zero Account with Santander, and there are definitely no charges for withdrawing cash from Santander ATMs in Spain, this is the main reason I kept this account instead of changing it to a 123 account. I believe that if you have a 123 Credit Card rather than a debit card for a 123 account, there are no charges for using this either.

essexeddie
17-07-2014, 17:57
I have a Zero Account with Santander, and there are definitely no charges for withdrawing cash from Santander ATMs in Spain, this is the main reason I kept this account instead of changing it to a 123 account. I believe that if you have a 123 Credit Card rather than a debit card for a 123 account, there are no charges for using this either.

Only as long as you use a Santander ATM by the looks of it.

bextus
29-08-2014, 11:58
Call you home branch and ask.