PDA

View Full Version : Relocation My Tenerife survival guide for new and wannabe expats

CIM
30-05-2011, 23:49
This fantastic post from the original forum as written by Treble99:

You have to be careful moving here. Take off your rose tinted glasses NOW!!

Should you make it here, you will have a truly great life, be the envy of nearly all of those in the UK, those who just “wish and dream” but never TRY!

I have seen so many people come and go. I have known people that have come with large amounts of money from the sale of their UK properties and return to England with nothing. I have seen people come and return because they can’t find work. I have seen people come due to a "firm" job offer only to find the job does not exist. I also know people that are just “surviving” here because they only get work "here and there", "in bits and bats". I have seen people come and go because they fall into, what I call, The Tenerife Trap. By this I mean the cheap beer and the sunshine. They find themselves drinking all day and have the attitude “ill find a job tomorrow”. Sometimes tomorrow never comes.

However, I also know a lot of people who have made a good life for themselves and their families here.

My guide to Tenerife survival and building a great new life is this, based on my experiences, cockups and the good decisions I made. I have also drawn experiences from watching others.

#. Join, use and take advantage of this forum. When I arrived on the Island I didn’t know about the forum, I wish I did. No matter what questions you want to ask, however trivial you may feel they are, then ask them. The forum members will do all they can to answer your questions and give all the help and advice they can.

#. Enroll at a Spanish class. By speaking the language will open up more opportunities for you.

#. If you are coming with your partner, you must have a rock solid relationship in order to get through the transitional period of relocating to a new country and the stress the Island can put upon you. I have seen a few couples arrive, and within a few months etc their relationships start to crumble. They say that the most stressful things in life are divorce and moving house. I have never been divorced but have moved house numerous times and believe me, the stress that the Island can put on you is so much greater. If you are coming here because you are having relationship problems in the UK and you feel that the move will bring you closer together, DON’T DO IT. It won’t work.

#. Be prepared to be homesick. This will only hit you after your “honeymoon” period is over and you face your first problems or frustrations. I have seen so many people who “loose their way” when trying to deal with the way the Island works, getting legal etc. They feel “lost” and “alone”. When this happens, to many, The UK can seem the better place. Work through it, think of what you have here and fight for it!. I question anyone I have spoken to who has said “I have never missed the UK since I have been here”. To be honest, I think that every one, in the first few months at least, does feel a tad homesick. I know I did and consider myself to be a very strong character.

#. Discipline yourself. Get here and start “doing” straight away. Don’t take a “3 month break” etc. Its to easy for the 3 month break to turn into a 4,5,6 month break. Take a break when you have established yourself here.

# Don't burn your bridges with the UK. By this I mean, if you own a property in the UK don't at first sell it. Rent it, even if, without the sale, it means you cant buy a property here. The rent will pay your mortgage and should give you a little income on top. Then should you find after however long, that you feel you have made a mistake moving here, or your family cant settle etc, you can always move back without the hassle of having to sell your property here. Even if you sell up in the UK and put the money away until you have made up your mind about living and buying here, you will, I assume, only be bringing the equity your property has made. Lets say, for arguments sake you bring 100k, the equity. Then you find you don't like it here and you move back. Whats 100k going to get you in the UK? You may have a healthy lump sum as a deposit but will you get a mortgage to top it up? You will first have to find jobs and hold them for a few months before, I assume, a mortgage lender will lend especially in the currant economical climate.

#. However, If you do come here with a large sum of money with which you intend to buy property, then put it away somewhere safe, somewhere you will not pick at it. Rent a property at first to make sure you like the new lifestyle etc. Give yourself plenty of time to decide about buying here.

#. Get legal as soon as you can. NIE, social etc. This has to be your first priority. You can not legally work without it or get your kids in school etc.

#. Get medical insurance ASAP. It will take a while to get into the social system and should you need medical attention and you are not covered either privately or by the state, you will find that the hospitals may not treat you.

#. Only turn to “creditable” people for advice on legal matters etc (NIE social, tax, car ITV’s etc). I used to ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers. I have met on the island so many people that are full of crap; claim they know everything but in fact no nothing. I then employed a fiscal to take care of everything. It was such a relief and I knew I was covered properly from every angle.

#. Be who you are and be proud of what you have got. Don’t bull @@@@ people. Like I said the island is full of them. People will be so much more willing to help you if you are genuine. I am always happy to help genuine folk, haven’t got any time for bull @@@@ers though.

#. Get out and about as much as you can. Generate contacts, mingle with folk but beware of everyone! Trust no one. There are many people who will be glad to rip you off. I thought I was shrewd and switched on but I got taken for 500 euros off a so called friend within the first 3 months. It took me 3 years to get it back.

#. Take any work you can at first while you are finding your feet. Don’t cherry pick work as it will pass you by. Once you are earning, then start to look for your dream job. Remember, when you are working you will be building contacts which may come in useful at a later date.

#. Be prepared to earn a pittance here compared with your UK wages. Employers here pay poor money because, well, they can! and the demand for jobs is so high as many are out of work. Sad I know but its a fact. A recent post on this forum suggests that 1000 to 1250 euros per month is a VERY GOOD Tenerife wage. You will earn approximately 5 euros an hour doing bar work.

#. Fight fight fight for your desire to live here. If times are hard, if people knock you back, let you down and generally mess on you from a great height, then fight back (not literally). Look in the mirror every morning and say “no one is going to get me down today. I am a fighter and I will survive”. You may find that the island at first, draws resources out of you that you didn’t know you had. One can either lie down give up and die, or fight and survive.

#. When you have settled and are enjoying “another day in paradise” purchase a nice bottle of Champagne, walk, with your partner etc to the shore one night as the sun sets, crack the bottle open, look across the sea and scream “we've bloody done it”, let your emotions pour out. Then go home and enjoy the rest of your days on this stunning Island and take advantage of what Tenerife can offer that the UK cant.

The very very best of luck to you.

sunspot
30-05-2011, 23:53
Brilliant, first time ive seen this and its spot on................thanks CIM

CIM
30-05-2011, 23:54
Not mine though! All credit goes to Treble99 for that post which is as true today as it was way back when he wrote it.
Well worth a read for anyone contemplating moving over.

slodgedad
31-05-2011, 00:10
As you say, as relevent today as it was when first posted..Made sticky

paulhaslock
14-08-2011, 00:11
Hi everyone.

Just read this article and some good information there. I was wondering is there much work in Tenerife at the moment? Myself, wife and kids are thinking of coming over to Tenerife next year to work and live but I am a little unsure giving my permanent employment up in the UK. I understand that without speaking Spanish there are only certain jobs available to me. I am currently learning though and will be enrolling on a course very soon.

I am also thinking of coming over for a two week break in December to see if I can get any information on schools and accommodation etc.

Thanks

Paul

Harmonicaman
14-08-2011, 00:19
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. There aren't too many online at this time of night but I'm sure tomorrow you'll get a few answers. I only holiday in Tenerife so I can't really advise you.:tiphat:

blue marlin
14-08-2011, 09:10
Dont give up your permanent Job

sazzle
14-08-2011, 09:33
Hi Paul,

Unless you have plenty of money to support you and your family, I really wouldnt give up your permanent job to come over here. Jobs anywhere are hard to come by at the moment, and you would be extremely lucky to fall on a legal job that would pay enough to support a family........but it is an amazing place to live. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jackie
14-08-2011, 09:48
Hi Paul and welcome. Unless you have enough money to bring with you to see you through until you get a half decent job and you also have a plan B in place if Plan A goes wonky and then a plan C if both plan A and B go wonky, then I would stay where you are for now. We took 5 years researching and planning our move to Tenerife and the best solution we came up with was that my husband continues working in the UK in our Electrical Business. Not as much fun for him but at least it affords us to be able to live here with no mortgage and money in the bank every month for the bills and money for us to enjoy this beautiful Island.

You need to research about the schools and where you want to live etc.and how much everything is going to cost from the school fees if going private and the books which you will have to buy even if you are not going private to paying your rent/mortgage and feeding your family. Work out exactly how much you are going to need each month to live NOT survive and if you can find work here that covers all of that and a bit more then go for it.

Suej
14-08-2011, 09:56
Hi Paul, Keep watching for advice on here it will help you more than you realise! The very best of luck!:wave:

bonitatime
14-08-2011, 11:22
There is a lot of information about schools and enrolling on the old forum at the top of this one.
Not sure what you do at home but if you speak fluent Spanish will you be able to do that.
Does what you do have a need here.
Jobs are really hard to find here especially with limited Spanish but I wish you luck as it is a great place to live

Cas
14-08-2011, 14:09
I feel that I have the best of both worlds. Work in England for part of the year, spend rest of time here, but to get that I gave up a permanent job and became self employed. However for me, was the best decision I’ve ever made.

nicola
06-09-2011, 21:24
thank you your information was so helpful me and my family are thinking of moving out and i need all the information i can get thank you

CIM
06-09-2011, 22:20
Keep researching Nicola and use this forum - it has a LOT of information. Anything you cant find or aren't sure about - simply post a thread and someone will be along in no time to help you out.

babybadger
05-11-2011, 11:28
I would also state, if you start a bar/business don't rule out the Spanish, don't think that only the Expats are the way to make money. Just remember that 50% of the million people living in Tenerife are in the metropolitan area of Santa Cruz. Yes 1 Million! And there are about 5 Million tourists a year, but they as we are finding are 1) seasonal 2) going All-Inclusive for safety after the Ash Cloud last year. 3) more and more Russians. So start learning other languages....

Irina
05-11-2011, 14:27
Totally agree with babybadger - if you buy/start a bar-restaurant, do not focus exclusively on tourists and especially not just on one specific nationality. The wider your focus and offering are, the better chances your business has. Tenerife is becoming more cosmopolitan with tourists and the number of Russians is indeed increasing. If you need any help with Russian language (translation, lessons, etc) - let me know.

stevem
06-11-2011, 08:48
What happened to Treb? I always hoped he'd stay around even after the bad stuff! :(

Lovely guy, full of great info. He helped us out no end when we lived in Tenerife :) And if anyone ever had a night out with him and the lovely Sab, I'm sure it would be a night that left lovely memories for a long long time!

And any info Treb shared, you can be assured it's 100% right. :)

Tom & Sharon
08-11-2011, 12:04
If you are coming for 12/24 months with 2 school age children, and then returning to the US, then I would think you would have to put the children in the British school, just as if you were spending time out in the UK, and then they will transfer easily back into the US system. You will find details of the fees here - http://www.wingateschool.com/Fees%20and%20information.asp

Presumably, you would also just be renting somewhere to live. A nice 3 bed apartment would probably cost a maximum of around €850 per month. Our electric is around €80 per month, water €40 (but we use loads cos we've got 2 gardens), internet phone & TV €50, car insurance €50.

You'll find that people will come on here and say you can live on €80 a week for food, but there's no way we can. When there are 3 or 4 of us here, I probably spend about €300 a week on groceries, but I don't budget. You could shop for less I suppose, but I don't know where anybody gets the €80 figure from!

As a resident you would learn where to go out fairly cheaply, avoiding the tourist areas. You could get a nice meal out with wine for about €50.

As a US citizen, you wouldn't be entitled to any kind of reciprocal European health care, so you may feel it necessary to take private medical insurance. As a US citizen you're probably used to that anyway!

All in all, it probably adds up to quite a bit, but I have no idea how much is what you call an "American wage".

If the figures stack up, I would say go for it. You will enjoy a lovely quality of life and climate here, and your children will experience European living in one of the more relaxed places in Europe. You would also be well placed to take them to see the rest of Europe such as London, Paris, Madrid etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

canarybird
08-11-2011, 14:25
Take care to check out your status for residency as staying here as a non-European citizen is different to staying as a member of the EU.

I know US folks who have to leave every 3 months (I believe it´s 3 months...but it could perhaps be every 6 months) to get a new stamp in their passport from Morocco or another country, to be able to return here to live for another few months.

Check that out from a gestor or other professional who knows the laws regarding residence for non EU persons.

Canarybird

babybadger
08-11-2011, 14:48
Hello to all and thanks for that post!!!
We are Americans strongly considering relocating to Tenerife. Its just not a great climate here at the moment. My husband can work in Tenerife. His company will still pay him his normal salary. We can stay 12 year committment or 24 months if it all goes well. We speak a small amount of spanish. Its a big decision and not one we take lightly.

My question is, are we crazy to think we can survive in Tenerife with 2 school age children on an Americans salary? We do survive in Boston, Ma. But I wonder what the "true" cost of living is? and with all the economic mess of Greece and now Italy, is Spain far behind?

Do you feel the Island would be receptive to American?

We have 18 months to consider where to relocate to. Very generous, but that time flies by when you think how fast a work week can seem.

I would love to hear any news from anyone...What do you love about living there, what do you hate...what is the "average" a family would spend??

Thanks and I hope to hear some replies soon!

Welcome to the Forum,

The Dollar v Euro is biased towards the Dollar at the moment, so you are in a good position already. Prices are coming down over here, but not so much in the South, We live in the North East (near Santa Cruz) and spend about €500 on rent electric and water (the basics) , €55 on internet and phone with inclusive minutes (we could have got a better deal in hindsight - but weren't good at the language at the time) , and got a runabout car (seat cordoba with stick shift and aircon for €2000) and its about €250 a year for car insurance (the wife moans because my Buell motorcycle costs more to insure per year than it costs to rent the flat for a month!) , food we spend about €100-110/week, but we are careful and aren't extravagant. Health Insurance is €132 for wife and 2 kids, as I am on Travel insurance and not fully fiscal resident yet. (183 days or more here unless you are seconded from your company.....details below)

I think the Island will welcome Americans , more so in the Capital area of Santa Cruz, as most of the youngsters will be surprised that you came here with kids, when most of the teenagers want to go to University in the States!

Get your company to write to your husband to say he is seconded to work her for 364 days contract, renewable every year if he is happy to pay his taxes in the USA, as he will be liable for dual taxation. (ask a professional, I was told this by someone...)

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything, i will find the answer for you if needed....

jet2
09-11-2011, 21:47
:thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx::thanx:
This fantastic post from the original forum as written by Treble99:

You have to be careful moving here. Take off your rose tinted glasses NOW!!

Should you make it here, you will have a truly great life, be the envy of nearly all of those in the UK, those who just “wish and dream” but never TRY!

I have seen so many people come and go. I have known people that have come with large amounts of money from the sale of their UK properties and return to England with nothing. I have seen people come and return because they can’t find work. I have seen people come due to a "firm" job offer only to find the job does not exist. I also know people that are just “surviving” here because they only get work "here and there", "in bits and bats". I have seen people come and go because they fall into, what I call, The Tenerife Trap. By this I mean the cheap beer and the sunshine. They find themselves drinking all day and have the attitude “ill find a job tomorrow”. Sometimes tomorrow never comes.

However, I also know a lot of people who have made a good life for themselves and their families here.

My guide to Tenerife survival and building a great new life is this, based on my experiences, cockups and the good decisions I made. I have also drawn experiences from watching others.

#. Join, use and take advantage of this forum. When I arrived on the Island I didn’t know about the forum, I wish I did. No matter what questions you want to ask, however trivial you may feel they are, then ask them. The forum members will do all they can to answer your questions and give all the help and advice they can.

#. Enroll at a Spanish class. By speaking the language will open up more opportunities for you.

#. If you are coming with your partner, you must have a rock solid relationship in order to get through the transitional period of relocating to a new country and the stress the Island can put upon you. I have seen a few couples arrive, and within a few months etc their relationships start to crumble. They say that the most stressful things in life are divorce and moving house. I have never been divorced but have moved house numerous times and believe me, the stress that the Island can put on you is so much greater. If you are coming here because you are having relationship problems in the UK and you feel that the move will bring you closer together, DON’T DO IT. It won’t work.

#. Be prepared to be homesick. This will only hit you after your “honeymoon” period is over and you face your first problems or frustrations. I have seen so many people who “loose their way” when trying to deal with the way the Island works, getting legal etc. They feel “lost” and “alone”. When this happens, to many, The UK can seem the better place. Work through it, think of what you have here and fight for it!. I question anyone I have spoken to who has said “I have never missed the UK since I have been here”. To be honest, I think that every one, in the first few months at least, does feel a tad homesick. I know I did and consider myself to be a very strong character.

#. Discipline yourself. Get here and start “doing” straight away. Don’t take a “3 month break” etc. Its to easy for the 3 month break to turn into a 4,5,6 month break. Take a break when you have established yourself here.

# Don't burn your bridges with the UK. By this I mean, if you own a property in the UK don't at first sell it. Rent it, even if, without the sale, it means you cant buy a property here. The rent will pay your mortgage and should give you a little income on top. Then should you find after however long, that you feel you have made a mistake moving here, or your family cant settle etc, you can always move back without the hassle of having to sell your property here. Even if you sell up in the UK and put the money away until you have made up your mind about living and buying here, you will, I assume, only be bringing the equity your property has made. Lets say, for arguments sake you bring 100k, the equity. Then you find you don't like it here and you move back. Whats 100k going to get you in the UK? You may have a healthy lump sum as a deposit but will you get a mortgage to top it up? You will first have to find jobs and hold them for a few months before, I assume, a mortgage lender will lend especially in the currant economical climate.

#. However, If you do come here with a large sum of money with which you intend to buy property, then put it away somewhere safe, somewhere you will not pick at it. Rent a property at first to make sure you like the new lifestyle etc. Give yourself plenty of time to decide about buying here.

#. Get legal as soon as you can. NIE, social etc. This has to be your first priority. You can not legally work without it or get your kids in school etc.

#. Get medical insurance ASAP. It will take a while to get into the social system and should you need medical attention and you are not covered either privately or by the state, you will find that the hospitals may not treat you.

#. Only turn to “creditable” people for advice on legal matters etc (NIE social, tax, car ITV’s etc). I used to ask 10 people the same question and get 10 different answers. I have met on the island so many people that are full of crap; claim they know everything but in fact no nothing. I then employed a fiscal to take care of everything. It was such a relief and I knew I was covered properly from every angle.

#. Be who you are and be proud of what you have got. Don’t bull @@@@ people. Like I said the island is full of them. People will be so much more willing to help you if you are genuine. I am always happy to help genuine folk, haven’t got any time for bull @@@@ers though.

#. Get out and about as much as you can. Generate contacts, mingle with folk but beware of everyone! Trust no one. There are many people who will be glad to rip you off. I thought I was shrewd and switched on but I got taken for 500 euros off a so called friend within the first 3 months. It took me 3 years to get it back.

#. Take any work you can at first while you are finding your feet. Don’t cherry pick work as it will pass you by. Once you are earning, then start to look for your dream job. Remember, when you are working you will be building contacts which may come in useful at a later date.

#. Be prepared to earn a pittance here compared with your UK wages. Employers here pay poor money because, well, they can! and the demand for jobs is so high as many are out of work. Sad I know but its a fact. A recent post on this forum suggests that 1000 to 1250 euros per month is a VERY GOOD Tenerife wage. You will earn approximately 5 euros an hour doing bar work.

#. Fight fight fight for your desire to live here. If times are hard, if people knock you back, let you down and generally mess on you from a great height, then fight back (not literally). Look in the mirror every morning and say “no one is going to get me down today. I am a fighter and I will survive”. You may find that the island at first, draws resources out of you that you didn’t know you had. One can either lie down give up and die, or fight and survive.

#. When you have settled and are enjoying “another day in paradise” purchase a nice bottle of Champagne, walk, with your partner etc to the shore one night as the sun sets, crack the bottle open, look across the sea and scream “we've bloody done it”, let your emotions pour out. Then go home and enjoy the rest of your days on this stunning Island and take advantage of what Tenerife can offer that the UK cant.

The very very best of luck to you.

thorpet
16-01-2012, 15:06
thank you for this posting. I moved abroad to Florida for 6 yrs and pretty much the same advice could be given. I returned to UK because of the complex visa issues but am very unsettled after living a more outdoor lifestyle. Im single 53yr healthy female looking seriously at the option of moving to tenerife. I would need to work but as long as it is legal work would take anything to start with. Looking for companionship/relationship too.

grimley
25-05-2012, 10:45
how much per month to live in tenerife after rents paid or rent inclued in cost say 1 bed apartment on outskirts of town in north tenerife

johnmcandrew
25-05-2012, 14:11
I moved a couple of months ago and lucky enough to have a job that gives me 6 months a year off. I'm no expert but I see people struggle over there to make the minimum amount just to get by and have enough cash to cover their costs to stay on the island. Anyone moving there would need to take a substantial amount of cash.... And if they were taking their family that substantial amount should be trebled. That's just my opinion.

Megaloo
25-05-2012, 16:00
I think I am right in saying Grimley is retired, so perhaps a different situation because is not relying on work.

Renting in the North would depend on where you would be happy to live.
Tracyhampshire has said she can live in Icod at much cheaper rent than most places.
1 Bedroom flats in Puerto differ quite a bit as to what area you want to live you do pay more for living in La Paz or Botanical areas, which are walking distance downhill into Puerto de la Cruz a bit steep walking back.

If you want to live further out Santa Ursula , parts of Oratava are cheaper. La Victoria would be cheaper, so really the choice is yours as to where and what you want to afford.

Electricity is more expensive than the UK, but you do not spend hardly anything on heating nothing like UK . I would say unless you want to live the high life ordinary household shopping is about the same as the UK not a lot of difference, not sure what others feel,?
Petrol is cheaper if you intend having a car, but is still rising. Road tax cheap insurance about the same.

We go out to eat to Restaurants at times that are not too expensive,

Obviously if you came to live just to rely on your English Pension OAP without top ups which living in England you may get but not here then it may be tight.
In general for people that are retired it is a very pleasant life, and if you do sports there is year round Tennis and Bowls if you wish because the weather is good.

grimley
25-05-2012, 16:53
thanks for that.i have my oap pension plus a small private one which i hope would cover rent the wife all so has oap pension plus a small one she had from tesco looking at sites rent vary from 400eurs up 800+ not to worried where it is as long as its in striking distance of town and may be on bus route its the add ons elec water taxes etc been coming tenerife very year for past ten years thats why we thinking about it

grimley
28-05-2012, 10:02
could two of you live on say 1,000 euros per month after rents paid plus water elec phone etc

Treble99
11-06-2012, 22:42
Wow, after all this time, my survival guide is still here!. Its nearly 7 years since i wrote this..............Where oh where has the time gone?

???

CIM
11-06-2012, 23:05
As true today as the day you first wrote it!

AL JAY
12-06-2012, 01:32
As true today as the day you first wrote it!

Its probably the the finest post i've ever read on here! :cheers:

Medman
12-06-2012, 08:13
Its probably the the finest post i've ever read on here! :cheers:

You say that to all the boys!! :D

Kidding Al; just read the post from start to finish. Well put together articulate post. Not all doom and gloom either. Great advice and yes; still very relevant today, particularly regarding mortgages and house prices.

babybadger
12-06-2012, 17:44
how much per month to live in tenerife after rents paid or rent inclued in cost say 1 bed apartment on outskirts of town in north tenerife

You are looking at about €350-400 depending on where..... It's who you know, not looking on the internet. We heard of a new flat going through a neighbour that is twice the size of ours , 3 bed, and has a roof terrace for €420 all in (not sure on broadband).

You have to speak Spanish to get these deals though....

grumps
12-06-2012, 17:59
could two of you live on say 1,000 euros per month after rents paid plus water elec phone etc

Well i live on my own now..(any nice ladys out there lol..!) and i can easily live on 100 euro`s per week after rent etc and wasn`t really spending a lot more b4 my ex departed..

rgds-grumps

stevem
12-06-2012, 18:55
Wow, after all this time, my survival guide is still here!. Its nearly 7 years since i wrote this..............Where oh where has the time gone?

???

Hia Pal, soooo good to see you about on here. :) Hows your daughter?

As for the post, well good writing sticks around mate and in parts is even more relevant!!!

Take care Trebs, hope to see you around on here again matey (still havent forgotten that awesome night out around Silencio, probably one of the best nights I had whilst living in Tenerife) :)

cathyw1
19-07-2012, 21:44
amazing advice, well done i will remember it wen i go to live in tenerife, something myself and hubby have been planning for a couple of years now...

markjdavies
13-08-2012, 20:28
Hi ! My name is Mark and my wife and I are thinking of relocating to Tenerife, or one of the islands.
Your post was the second I looked at, after 'cars for sale'!
We've done some homework, but not enough and we are coming to spend November on the island to do a 'reccie'.
This will, hopefully, include talking to people to find out what the economy is like if you are living here, rather than just on holiday.
We'll post some more questions and experiences when we find out more to help others and to bring the thread right up-to-date!
If anyone wants to ask questions, offer advice or just chat, please do!!
Thanks, Mark & Stephanie.

Leam_Lin
13-08-2012, 20:45
Welcome to the forum Mark & Stephanie, next county to you, i'm sure your get lots of suggestions.

bigbite
11-12-2012, 12:46
read this, gives you something to think about

asha1985
27-12-2012, 15:31
i think your amazing this post is fantastic me and partner get married in august and are biting the bullet to be happy and create our future in tenerife, we have fell in love with the island. we know pay isnt great but thats not the reason we are going. we are going for the lifestyle and the beauty of it all. nearer the time maybe in august / sept 2013 ill be searching for long term work in a restaurant, my partner is a fully experienced fantastic chef in many types of food. so im hoping our skills will fin us work. ive also worked for the UK's biggest telecom's provider for 7 years in a office. so with me learning spanish im hoping this will help me finding a better job.

JaBBa
14-04-2013, 19:31
Just came across this,even though its a old thread & times have certainly changed since this was posted,some brilliant info which ive taken on board....

Many thanks

markjdavies
15-04-2013, 15:58
Hi,
Just thought I would update people with our 'move'!!
We came to the island in November and did a lot of homework, talking to variuos people about admin and work etc, and it just re-affirmed our desire to come to Tenerife. We planned to come over in June/July 2013.
However, when we returned, our dog was found to have a tumour, plus we closed our company and finances are tight, so we've put the move off until the end of 2013.
However, if anyone knows a company who is looking for someone like me:
I've run my own company for 8 years and am very good with customers, IT, websites, estate agency, diving, marketing, sales and other areas similar to this, please let me know.
I haven't learnt Spanish yet, but I'm working on it!!
Thanks,
Mark

tinker88
23-06-2013, 16:00
fantastic post, my husband and I have been planning on "the move" for 7 years, and hopefully in 9 weeks will be making the move ..... and yes im scared. We just sat in bed this morning running through things and its a lot to loose, but also im not that person who likes a secured home, car and job .... i did excitment, i need action in my life - if not i create it. We love tenerife, and not just the sunshine.

i think we are ready, and i wish someone could just say yes you are, but guess we have to make the choice. We have researched this for ever it seems now, and i suppose there is never a right time.

TOPGUN77
05-09-2013, 12:31
Just caught up on this post and what a great read top work, but everything you wrote is so true,lucky for my wife and me we don't need to work.We have been here nearly 3 months and have yet to make friends some of the people we have met are so false and find it hard who to trust,other than that we love it out here.
What we do find hard is the way the Spanish drive they havn't a clue al they want to do is race you,they drive about an 1" from your rear bumper,overtake on a dangerous bends,they don't indicate,they double park especially on zebra crossings I could go on and on.
From our experience so far you can live out here very cheaply we don't scrimp on things our electric bill is around 80 euro,private health insurance 79.90,food 390,water and buzura I know is very cheap,tax on our property 169 euro a year quite a difference to the UK as we where paying nearly £2000.Petrol and Diesal is very cheap car tax 50.Beer around 95 cents you can eat out in a Chinese buffet for 6.50 etc etc so any one planning to move over here do it you won't regret it.

Angusjim
06-09-2013, 10:51
Just caught up on this post and what a great read top work, but everything you wrote is so true,lucky for my wife and me we don't need to work.We have been here nearly 3 months and have yet to make friends some of the people we have met are so false and find it hard who to trust,other than that we love it out here.
What we do find hard is the way the Spanish drive they havn't a clue al they want to do is race you,they drive about an 1" from your rear bumper,overtake on a dangerous bends,they don't indicate,they double park especially on zebra crossings I could go on and on.
From our experience so far you can live out here very cheaply we don't scrimp on things our electric bill is around 80 euro,private health insurance 79.90,food 390,water and buzura I know is very cheap,tax on our property 169 euro a year quite a difference to the UK as we where paying nearly £2000.Petrol and Diesal is very cheap car tax 50.Beer around 95 cents you can eat out in a Chinese buffet for 6.50 etc etc so any one planning to move over here do it you won't regret it.

TG if you are looking for friends and are befriended by CIM please avoid him at at all costs. As Tom & Sharon know he is a lovely guy but a very expensive friend to have he can eat & drink for England:lol::lol:

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2013, 10:58
TG if you are looking for friends and are befriended by CIM please avoid him at at all costs. As Tom & Sharon know he is a lovely guy but a very expensive friend to have he can eat & drink for England:lol::lol:

see money issues again - you don't help yourselves do you:cheeky::laugh:

andy pandy
06-09-2013, 14:12
fantastic post, my husband and I have been planning on "the move" for 7 years, and hopefully in 9 weeks will be making the move ..... and yes im scared. We just sat in bed this morning running through things and its a lot to loose, but also im not that person who likes a secured home, car and job .... i did excitment, i need action in my life - if not i create it. We love tenerife, and not just the sunshine.

i think we are ready, and i wish someone could just say yes you are, but guess we have to make the choice. We have researched this for ever it seems now, and i suppose there is never a right time.

We were hoping to move over now but we have to both have unexpected operations so have had to put it on hold. We were going to have a long term rental in Augusta Park thru Tenerife Long Let Rentals who were excellent with helping us but unfortunately as I have said due to unforseen ops we had to cancel. We lost our deposit of £350 Sterling which we paid in July and we are still awaiting a receipt for the money and we have lost the cost of the flight even although we are insured. We are disappointed that the estate agent is ignoring our requests for the receipt for the monies paid as he should receive ANOTHER deposit when he rents the property again won't he? Anyhow we hope to see Tenerife soon and then hopefully move over as we have been considering this for quite sometime now. To all of you living there already we are jealous. Take care everyone x

Janet
06-03-2014, 11:06
A good read and thought provoking.im coming out as a single pensioner in 5 weeks so some advice neede adapting to my circumstances.but I'm doing it and going to enjoy it .i did decide not to sell my house in case it didnt work out
And I think renting suits my life style I'd say to anybody don't give up everything in uk. But enjoy your experience on a budget u can afford.if it doesn't work out u can say I tried it but it wasn't for me

Peanuts
13-01-2017, 00:18
It is a shame what happened to this forum. Reading this thread. All these fantastic people giving advice to newbies. What is left now....

"Pick a name and drop a name", Eric and Carol having an argument with everybody who disagrees with them. Immature remarks from their little helpers.

I think it is time for me to go again. Maybe in future these people will be back.

Angusjim
13-01-2017, 10:08
It is a shame what happened to this forum. Reading this threat. All these fantastic people giving advice to newbies. What is left now....

"Pick a name and drop a name", Eric and Carol having an argument with everybody who disagrees with them. Immature remarks from their little helpers.

I think it is time for me to go again. Maybe in future these people will be back.

please dont go peanuts it takes all types to make a forum you will be missed:hug:

Ecky Thump
13-01-2017, 10:26
Moderator_ just quoted this thread and it is very thought invoking, so I have bumped it up for all to see.

Go to the opening post for some great information.

Ann0412
08-11-2017, 17:30
Thankyou will keep all this in my mind :)

jc2
11-12-2017, 13:27
Hi,
Looking for some advise please. We are looking to semi retire to Tenerife and hope to buy a small property and divide our time between Tenerife an the uk. Do we need to register for tax/NI, or anything like that? We will not have our state pension yet for a few years but do not intend to work in Tenerife
. All advice will be gratefully received, thank you.

Snowqueen
28-08-2019, 10:52
Thank you very useful , information
:)