PDA

View Full Version : Other I have a tiny tenant behind my fridge

rosemary
01-04-2014, 10:40
I guess he came in under the front door of our 2nd floor apartment, (up the stairs or in the lift?) the gap is just about big enough. But I am puzzled. Does he come and go? Where does he find water? In my bathroom? What does he eat? There are no dead flies on us. Only a few crisp crumbs maybe.
Has anyone else got one?
He is about 2 inches long and he's been around for months, doesn't seem to grow at all. I love him but only my OH has see him, at 2am when he is still up watching old movies, OH that is, not the tiny lodger....although maybe he does like old movies and watches them from under the fridge. OH says he is afraid he might step on him during his nocturnal wanderings into the loo.
I draw them a lot, his bigger cousins.
Should I leave food out for him, or get my OH to show him the door and politely tell him to mosey off where he belongs, down in the garden somewhere?

Oh, he's a lizard.

Malteser Monkey
01-04-2014, 10:47
A little gecho - I had one in when I lived in Buzanada - cute little fellas but they can get a bit nasty when you try to shoo them out !

rosemary
01-04-2014, 11:00
Booza Nada?? Sounds like a made up name to me LOL....? I'm allergic to alcohol so it suits me well. I'll adopt it if you don't mind. :tiphat:

primrose
01-04-2014, 11:01
Just leave it, they are supposed to lucky.

canarybird
01-04-2014, 11:02
If he's a lizard he should be taken outdoors to be in his home environment but if he's a gecko (has round pads on his feet and climbs walls) then he's perfectly at home in your house where he can live on insects such as flies and mosquitos. The geckos usually stay a small size.

I've rescued many lizards who have either been brought indoors by my cats or have slithered in from the garden through an open door. I put a wide mouth drinking glass or glass fruit dish over them, then slide a piece of cardboard underneath and then carry that with lizard inside out to the garden where I release them. But the geckos can stay as they are considered to be good luck in your house. :)

rosemary
01-04-2014, 11:13
Aahh thankyou one and all! Since I haven't seen him I don't know if he is a gecko or a lizard. I'll ask OH to have a careful look next time he sees him.
We could always do with some good luck, who couldn't! But if we tread on him?

OH says he has never seen him on the walls or the ceiling, just his head poking out from the under the fridge. Oh and once under the bathroom scales, not on top. He's not on a diet then.

canarybird
01-04-2014, 12:12
Well a gecko has protruding eyes and leaves little droppings that are half black, half white and he looks like this:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-84qtHMt/0/M/gecko-M.jpg
(gecko photo by Malcolm Tattersall - "All About Geckos" (http://malcolmtattersall.com.au/wp/2013/01/all-about-geckos/))

And you can see the lizard feet are quite different. This one was in my shower stall:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-VjqddnZ/0/M/PC086027-M.jpg

If he's a lizard he will not be happy indoors and should be taken outside.

rosemary
01-04-2014, 14:40
Lurve the photos CB!! I think I should know what my lizards look like by now, after my collection of drawings but I know it's for the benefit of us all.....just in case we should be visited by these cute critters! I am glad I like them. I'd be freakin a bit if I saw that one in my shower and I didn't like em! x

canarybird
01-04-2014, 17:44
Yes sorry Rosemary lol....I should have made it clear that the photos are for the benefit of any others who have these creatures in their home! You certainly don't need any help in identifying them after you've made so many lovely detailed drawings of lizards. I hope to see your artwork published soon.

BTW I've also found a very large lizard sitting on the top of my kitchen gas stove. Luckily it wasn't lit. Scared the wits out of me when I went in to make the morning coffee! :)

rosemary
01-04-2014, 17:59
Oh dear LOL.....well you have such a lovely garden they think it ALL belongs to them now!x

warbey
01-04-2014, 20:35

We used to stay in a Aprtment Block in Catalonia.

One Apartment was on the second Floor and there used to be one on the Wall over the Doorway,

with another nearby a little smaller (about 6 ins).

My thoughts were that it wouldnt be there if it wasn't suitable. As I like them We left well alone.

Andy0210
01-04-2014, 22:55
They love a few crumbs of chocolate left out for them but be warned the little droppings become larger dropings and they leave them on your wall, he will be getting all the food and liquids he needs from the insects that venture into your home.

rosemary
02-04-2014, 09:31
Aha...Thankyou Andy.....we DO leave choccie crumbs around, most of em on my jumper but it may be that is what brought him in here the first time!

Malteser Monkey
02-04-2014, 10:11
Booza Nada?? Sounds like a made up name to me LOL....? I'm allergic to alcohol so it suits me well. I'll adopt it if you don't mind. :tiphat:

Really haven't you heard of Buzanada on the way up to Valle san Lorenzo and just next door to Cabo Blanco ?

rosemary
02-04-2014, 12:40
No. Is it nice?

Malteser Monkey
02-04-2014, 12:56
No. Is it nice?

I don't know now as I haven't been for years but it was end of the 90's I suppose like everywhere it is more built up now.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=buzanada+tenerife&ie=UTF-8&ei=Evo7U5ziJ5SthQfku4GwBg&ved=0CAkQ_AU

don't know if that link will work - then you can peruse the streets at your leisure:D

kingbaker
02-04-2014, 15:15
Aha...Thankyou Andy.....we DO leave choccie crumbs around, most of em on my jumper but it may be that is what brought him in here the first time!

You cover yourself in chocolate for him!!

Hang on I'll get me coat!!
o:what::p:):eek::eek:

Malteser Monkey
02-04-2014, 15:57
You cover yourself in chocolate for him!!

Hang on I'll get me coat!!
o:what::p:):eek::eek:

:laugh::laugh:

kingbaker
02-04-2014, 18:32
Probs gone out to buy a shedload of choccie:p:(:):mad::sly::confused::thumbup::thumbdo wn::o:o:what::screwy::screwy::banghead::cool::)

Malteser Monkey
02-04-2014, 19:17
Probs gone out to buy a shedload of choccie:p:(:):mad::sly::confused::thumbup::thumbdo wn::o:o:what::screwy::screwy::banghead::cool::)

You been on the sherry love ?:crazy:

kingbaker
02-04-2014, 19:32
Dont get an offer like that very often!! :rolleyes::D:(:)

macdonald5
02-04-2014, 20:53
Really haven't you heard of Buzanada on the way up to Valle san Lorenzo and just next door to Cabo Blanco ?

Yes MaltyM, we used to visit Buzanada ,think it was Guaracurumba or such like restaurante very local food

kingbaker
02-04-2014, 21:18
You been on the sherry love ?:crazy:

Just starting on the Merlo hun....you wanna glass? Had tooo much excitement earlier!!:(:p:(;)

kingbaker
05-04-2014, 09:36
I have'nt got any tenants under the fridge but I once stayed in Oro Blanco, in LA. and there were these little guys walking around on the wall outside the window.....on the 5th floor. These guys are lovely and I kept the window open for them. Geckos I think!!;)

Ah!! I'm sooo warm and fuzzy and sooo cute!!:p