PDA

View Full Version : Utilities Has anybody had any problems with Canaragua?

Tom & Sharon
01-04-2014, 14:56
Has anybody else had a problem with their water being disconnected?

To cut a long story short, we discovered last week that our water had been disconnected by Canaragua. In our post box, there was an unpaid bill/demand for 39.55€ dated 22nd Jan. I tried to sort it from the UK, but couldn't. The story was, according to them, that the bank had returned the payment request. I checked the bank account and knew that there was money in to pay the request.

I arrived back Sun night, and went straight to the Canaragua office in Los Cristianos. There was another English lady in there, and a Spanish lady. They had the same letter, same date and same story. The English lady even took proof from her bank that there was money in her account to pay it. I hadn't bothered, because I can't be bothered banging my head in a wall over Spanish bureaucracy and appalling levels of customer service. Her bank had told her that Canaragua had never made a payment request, which is what I had suspected for us. She also told me that 5 other people in her apartment block had had the same letter, and all been disconnected.

We both paid the bills, plus a 22€ reconnection fee! which is scandalous when it isn't your fault. I can't be bothered arguing though, so just paid it.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

I always thought water was a basic human right, and they couldn't cut you off anyway?

John_Graydon
01-04-2014, 18:15
You done the right thing in not getting annoyed, im trying to adapt the same outlook myself. Maybe they want extra revenue.
As for water a basic human right, we now have to pay for it in Ireland very soon. Putting in meters everywhere.

9PLUS
01-04-2014, 18:46
They can cut the water supply if you miss a payment ?

doesn't water have to go through the court before they can cut it off?

I had the same problem with Telefonica so we got a certificate from the bank justifying that no bill had been send to my bank by them. In the end they reconnection fee because they couldn't prove anything.

Suzanne
01-04-2014, 19:31
Can I ask are you on the golf/Amarilla golf? I have friends that had the same problem and the water board said it was the bank. Is your bank the Banco Marche by any chance? Thats their bank. A few others have had the same problem wonder if it is the same bank? worth looking at.

davidj
01-04-2014, 21:06
Oh Dear,this does not sound good!!!!We arrive on Sunday night and are on Amarilla Golf.
We bank with Banca March and have just checked online,payments were taken in Feb and March but no sign of January,am I right in expecting to have no water and having to trek to Los Cris on Monday morning?

karinagal
01-04-2014, 23:16
Oh Dear,this does not sound good!!!!We arrive on Sunday night and are on Amarilla Golf.
We bank with Banca March and have just checked online,payments were taken in Feb and March but no sign of January,am I right in expecting to have no water and having to trek to Los Cris on Monday morning?

Not necessarily.. If they have taken payments in subsequent months, you must still have a water supply (surely..).. My bills were usually every two months, but I've been billed in February and March so far this year.. Their billing seems to be a bit hit and miss recently..

Tom & Sharon
02-04-2014, 09:37
Can I ask are you on the golf/Amarilla golf? I have friends that had the same problem and the water board said it was the bank. Is your bank the Banco Marche by any chance? Thats their bank. A few others have had the same problem wonder if it is the same bank? worth looking at.

Yes, we're on Amarilla Golf, but we bank with Barclays. One of our neighbours who banks with Banca March had the same letter, but she's back in UK, so don't know whether her water's on or off.

Possibly you'll be cut off :( Can you get someone to check for you?

Not necessarily.. If they have taken payments in subsequent months, you must still have a water supply (surely..).. My bills were usually every two months, but I've been billed in February and March so far this year.. Their billing seems to be a bit hit and miss recently..

No Katrina. Our subsequent payment has been taken, but when I looked back, January was missing, even though there was money in the bank to pay it.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, we're on Amarilla Golf, but we bank with Barclays. One of our neighbours who banks with Banca March had the same letter, but she's back in UK, so don't know whether her water's on or off.

Possibly you'll be cut off :( Can you get someone to check for you?

No Katrina. Our subsequent payment has been taken, but when I looked back, January was missing, even though there was money in the bank to pay it.

karinagal
02-04-2014, 09:40
That's strange... Before my February bill, the previous one was in November!! So nothing taken in either December or January but my water was still on when I was there a few weeks ago...

Tom & Sharon
02-04-2014, 15:14
That's strange... Before my February bill, the previous one was in November!! So nothing taken in either December or January but my water was still on when I was there a few weeks ago...

I think it might not be!

Ours was taken in December and then 5th March. It was still on when I was here until 8th March, but then was disconnected on 24th March for what they said was an unpaid direct debit on 22nd January!

karinagal
02-04-2014, 15:17
Oops.. Better get it checked then!

Suzanne
02-04-2014, 17:27
will go and check it tomorrow for you.

seanocelt
02-04-2014, 18:19
I have the same issue with Santander/ Telefonica, after 6 months only 2 payments with a three month gap between have came out of the bank i have to check monthly and pay at the Post Office if its not came off. Its not a language barrier thing, they blame each other, customer service is irrelevant to these companies.

bonitatime
02-04-2014, 22:40
You pay water monthly?
In adeje we pay every two months

karinagal
03-04-2014, 00:14
You pay water monthly?
In adeje we pay every two months

I was always billed every 2 months before but the last 2 bills came out one month apart... No idea what they're playing at..

princessmonika
03-04-2014, 08:18
so far my bills are still 2 monthly - best knowing to themselfs -

Su1
03-04-2014, 15:18
Friends in our aprtment complex on Pebble Beach had their water cut off...they said it was Banca March's fault. They contacted us to see if it was the same for us. A friend is at our apartment and no one has mentioned a water problem...yet!!! We Bank with Banca March...got me worried as we cannot get out to Tenerife until at least the end of May.

BoPeep
03-04-2014, 16:28
We are in Amarilla and we bank with Banca March.
All our bills have been paid properly and they are dated

25th Feb read 19th Feb taken from bank 3rd Mar
22nd Jan read 19th Dec taken from bank 3rd Feb
29th Oct read 22nd Oct taken from bank 4th Nov

As you can see they are being read bi monthly but taken from the bank at the beg of the month with big gaps so it looks a bit confusing!

Correct though!

Hope this helps

karinagal
03-04-2014, 20:38
Thanks Bo Peep, those dates and bills correspond with mine! I bank with Solbank and am on Pebble Beach too.. I'm waiting to hear if my supply is still ok..!!

davidj
04-04-2014, 16:52
In reply to BoPeeps da tes,these correspond with mine at Banca March,I will find out on Sunday Evening :pray:if I can have a wash!!!:pray:

Su1
04-04-2014, 18:07
Yes the same dates for our Banca March water bills. A friend has checked our meter too because she said sometimes they put a note on that they are going to cut off your water.......

karinagal
04-04-2014, 22:16
Well, it seems that not only do I HAVE water, it's been pishing out of my recently installed boiler..... :Sighs:....

seanocelt
05-04-2014, 01:36
you moved from .....where you were before Karina?

karinagal
05-04-2014, 10:30
you moved from .....where you were before Karina?

Nope, not moved.. Just had major problems with the water in the apartment recently. Due to a burst pipe, I had to have my boiler replaced (twice).. And lost @200 thousand litres of water into the foundations....!

jack oakley
22-06-2014, 16:12
This looks like a major money spinning excersise by Canaragua to cause deliberate hardship to the mainly non resident non spanish speaking population, they embarked on this despicable mission early this year. They cut off hundreds of supplies claiming bank direct debits (January's or February's) hadn't been paid, their excuse is that customers bank details were missing IBAN numbers irrespective of the fact that all accounts had been being paid on the SAME bank numbers for many years. When challenged Canaragua declared all accounts from the beginning of this year now had to include the IBAN number effectively ensuring that most customers were placed in the position of being ONE PAYMENT in arrears, therefore cutting off hundreds of supplies and charging the abhorrent cost of 22 euros per person to re-connect. They have earned thousands of euros in re-connection charges and inflicted misery and gross inconvenience to many. A typical example of a monopolised utility company getting away with **** Turpin tactics totally unchallenged.