PDA

View Full Version : Shopping I will never enter an Asian-run shop in Tenerife!

Seboni121
05-04-2014, 19:19
Well just back home from South tenerife , costa adeje and had a brilliant holiday on the whole , resort not as busy as LC and PDLA but was enjoyable lovely walk from LC to el doque and beyond , however the shops where a massive disappointment ! Even the locals ( Spanish/ canarians) and some of the other nationalities are pretty much ****** off by the Asian shop owners dragging people in and saying lookie lookie constantly and being aggressive in their selling technique , and ultimately turning nasty when the sale doesn't go the way! , I know I was on the tail end of this and several other potential customers , absolutely shocking behaviour , I would definately never again enter a Indian/ Pakistan run shop again in these resorts we got so ****** off we bought all our pressies and clothing from Spanish shops

warbey
05-04-2014, 20:07

Glad You enjoyed it.

I agree with You, but there are a few Shops recommended by Forum Members in the Other Thread that are worth having a look at.

These aren't along the Prom though but a Little Inland. Best to know what You want and how Much in the U.K. though.

We still keep going and I hope You will too

Seboni121
05-04-2014, 20:27
Yes defo will go again but not costa adeje , Los cristianos probably and agree that going slightly from coast is the best policy , wife wanted a handbag ( as they do ! ) and in the littoral shopping centre in costa adeje was €44 but we got it for €18 just on the corner of Aberdeen steak house near the builders merchant ,

bonitatime
05-04-2014, 20:39
Locals tend not to shop any where near the front

marbro8
05-04-2014, 20:49
Locals tend not to shop any where near the frontafter coming to los cris/las americas about 16 times in the last 8 years i think we class ourselves as having more or less the same knowledge as locals:lol:, and yes you are right we wouldn't even entertain going anywhere near the shops on the front;), but tenerife is such a fab place that new holidaymakers from all over the world make it their destination every year, and if they don't have the benefit of this forum or any previous idea of the shoddy practices that go on then it is so easy to get sucked in:angry:

Seboni121
05-04-2014, 22:51
Luckily we didn't get sucked in ;) but they don't take kindly to a no sale !, we where after a house number ceramic and popped into the ironmongery place in Los cristianos and got it for €5 that's for 3 tiles where along the front it was twice the price ,it's going to be lanzarote in June I think, also the markets are the same ! I nearly complained to the security about one vendor but change my mind, I did see one vendor get a rollicking from steward at the costa adeje market , vendor was well and truly shouted at

Chine
05-04-2014, 23:00
First off I'm really glad you had a great time ! Don't let what went on overshadow your holiday , as said earlier you gain knowledge as you go along and learn where not to shop/chat to them and get sucked in , we don't spend to much time down that way but I do know what you say to be true they are a pest , tenerife is a wonderful place to holiday/live don't let that put you off

YOUNG GOLFER
05-04-2014, 23:15
Well sorry you had a bad time with these guys.....but maybe if another forum member would be so kind to put a link here to the authorities for you and others to show your feelings towards these shops and something might be done. But I am sure by going to any other island might not be the right answer.you will find these punks are everywhere.
My advice to anyone coming here KEEP AWAY from these shops. Some are ok a very few .......but for the risk of getting ripped off stay away.

Seboni121
05-04-2014, 23:24
Yes I would go back to tenerife but not that location , I found the African lads selling watches and glasses where far more polite ! A NO meant NO and they got the message as for the Indian/ Pakistan vendors they just don't get the message just kept on and on ! The Swedish shop owner at Bono beach said they are trying to get a list of good and not so good shop directive sorted with the local government ? But he said he's really upset as this type of bad selling shows the area in a bad light !

essexeddie
06-04-2014, 20:00
I have posted here before, I only go to JAP Electrics in the Arona Grande Hotel. He is Asian but is totally trustworthy. We all go there locally.
He speaks eleven languages. Even Scottish.

warbey
06-04-2014, 20:01
Well sorry you had a bad time with these guys.....but maybe if another forum member would be so kind to put a link here to the authorities for you and others to show your feelings towards these shops and something might be done. But I am sure by going to any other island might not be the right answer.you will find these punks are everywhere.
My advice to anyone coming here KEEP AWAY from these shops. Some are ok a very few .......but for the risk of getting ripped off stay away.

These Words are from Someone who has helped Others in the past.

Earlier in this Thread I read a Statement from a Knowledgeable Resident who stated that these "Asian " People have the Concession
on Electronics.

This being so, does Anyone believe the Authorities will kill the Goose that lays the Golden Eggs.

Sorry, I don't. There are too many of these Shops and therefore too many Mouths to feed.

We have the only remedy. A complete boycott, until Standards of Behaviour are set and observed.

Sorry, I won't be holding My Breath...............

slodgedad
06-04-2014, 20:13
These Words are from Someone who has helped Others in the past.

Earlier in this Thread I read a Statement from a Knowledgeable Resident who stated that these "Asian " People have the Concession
on Electronics.

This being so, does Anyone believe the Authorities will kill the Goose that lays the Golden Eggs.

Sorry, I don't. There are too many of these Shops and therefore too many Mouths to feed.

We have the only remedy. A complete boycott, until Standards of Behaviour are set and observed.

Sorry, I won't be holding My Breath...............
True, but the only way forward is to name and shame without libel or slander. If everyone reported abuse in a factual way then word would spread.
Boycott is the way to go. When approached make it known that you have been warned by others and walk away.

YOUNG GOLFER
07-04-2014, 00:14
True, but the only way forward is to name and shame without libel or slander. If everyone reported abuse in a factual way then word would spread.
Boycott is the way to go. When approached make it known that you have been warned by others and walk away.

Libel or slander are two words these people have never heard of..........boycott is the only cure to this problem.

Esskay
08-04-2014, 13:46
I got sucked into a small electronics shop last August, going up one of the slopes between the beach and Calle Londres. I'm a sucker for bright shiny gadgets and I ended up paying a little over the odds for a phone case. His prices were sky-high though, and when I explained it was my last day and was running out of cash, the price came down from 20 to 10 Euros. I did feel quite 'surrounded' and under pressure while I was in there though, and they insisted on showing me all sorts of other stuff. They even stooped to handing my kids (9 and 6) gadgety toys to play with and inevitably want!

Then there was the quite large shop on the same (or similar) walkway selling all sorts of novelty holiday gifts to take back. It was Chinese-run and it was far easier and pleasant to browse without any hassle at all. The lady stayed on the till by the door the whole time and was very polite and welcoming.

We'll be back to Adeje again in August 2015, and I'll be wiser and more selective about which shops I go in (or even dare to look towards as I'm passing!).