PDA

View Full Version : Education What are the procedures what a child plays truant in Tenerife?

gsc
23-04-2014, 10:08
I have a friend with a just-turned 16 year old, due to leave school in a couple of months.

He keeps skipping school, clearly doesn't want to be there. Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen?

His mum gets phone calls but at the end of the day she is a working single mum with no transport and a very determined teenager.

I know what the rules say but in practice do you think they would pursue it?

LUCKY
23-04-2014, 10:52
:flatcap:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-21661301

gsc
23-04-2014, 11:00
Thanks for the thought but that is in the UK, plus I am not looking for the rights and wrongs of the situation, more an educated opinion of whether the Canarian authorities would consider it worthwhile pursuing it when the child is 16 and due to finish school imminently.

I will add that the subject of trying to force a child to go to school when they are hellbent on not going is more of a discussion about how to deal with young adults thinking they know best than truancy itself - too big a topic for me lol!

bonitatime
25-04-2014, 09:11
Because of the date his age and if he is foreign I would presume they will not pursue it

gsc
25-04-2014, 09:17
He is Canarian.

bonitatime
16-05-2014, 07:13
There is need to motivate such students to concentrate on study. The addition of some interesting subjects increase interest of students in studies.

If you can't get them
Into school it doesn't much matter what the subject is
We have one near us at work who never goes more than 2 days a week there doesn't seem to be much follow up