PDA

View Full Version : Relocation 1 in 4 British ex-pats quit Spain in a year!

Tom & Sharon
23-04-2014, 18:55
According to this new study, one in four British ex-pats have quit Spain in the last year.

It says people who re-locate are less happy than ones who stay put?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2610777/How-life-sun-spell-misery-Ex-pats-Med-happy-moved-way.html

Discuss..........

kathml
23-04-2014, 20:01
Don't really understand the point there are always going to be people coming ang going and in view of the economic conditions of the past few years this was going to cause problems
Living here in the past two years for just under six months per year I can say I enjoy the sunshine and the laid back lifestyle but would never cut my ties with the UK for both personal and financial reasons
Also as I'm getting older medical reasons

TheBloke
23-04-2014, 22:17
Amazingly 3 out of 4 stayed here.That wouldn't be a paper selling headline though would it?

Is the Daily Mail a newspaper would be a better discussion topic.

marbro8
23-04-2014, 22:43
i think the only way you could comfortably retire to any part of the world now would be if you had a really good pension or you had won some money on the lottery or something similar, if you tried to do it on a whim thinking you could get a job to support you then you would be in the 1 in 4:(

primrose
24-04-2014, 00:15
Amazingly 3 out of 4 stayed here.That wouldn't be a paper selling headline though would it?

It would be interesting to know how many of the 3 out 4 are forced to stay because they have nothing to go back to.

timmylish
24-04-2014, 00:45
I find statements like this in the Daily Mail quite stupid tbh. What on earth do they hope to achieve as this very Forum itself would be a real barometer of the movements to and fro. What does this Forum show. Oh, probably 1 in 4 people coming here go back within 10 years. BIG DEAL.

Tom & Sharon
24-04-2014, 07:57
They're official Spanish figures, not the musings of the Daily Mail, so whether you believe the daily Mail to be a good newspaper or not is not relevant. What about the comments that people are less happy?

As Primrose said, do a lot of people stay because they've "made their bed and have to lie in it"? And are they unhappy?

kathml
24-04-2014, 14:18
Have been rereading the article does it mean that if 100arrive in any one year by a year later 25 of those have returned to uk if that's the case I can believe it I would also reckon after five years at least fifty have returned and after ten years eighty have gone back at least (partly explained by people ageing )

Sundowner
24-04-2014, 14:41
The Brits are not the only ones to quit.......http://www.thelocal.es/20140422/britain-spain-expat-population-decline-2014

universal
24-04-2014, 16:12
According to yesterdays Canarian t.v. news all nationalities are leaving, across Spain, in significant numbers with the only exeption being the Chinese, who are still increasing in number.

Mia
24-04-2014, 17:13

The article in the Daily Mail is just rubbish.

I realise it is hard to find work here, but if you are retired you don’t need a good pension, a state pension and some savings behind you for major problems is sufficient.

Once you have made the move, it is cheaper to live here retired, than in the UK.

The healthcare is better for retired people as the National Health here do not “write off” the elderly. I have experience of having a 90 year old to look after and the care is excellent for the elderly. The Spanish look after the elderly.

I have live here three and a half years and have not met anyone who is not happy yet.

“Tom and Sharon” you seem to want to knock most things about Tenerife, I wonder why you come here on a regular basis at all.

delderek
24-04-2014, 18:39
Just to repeat what has already been stated, this is not a Daily mail story, it is repeated in the paper but it is from:

These figures from the National Institute of Statistics show that almost a quarter of Brits registered with local councils in Spain packed up and left their dream behind. And when you equate this to this forum and how many residents have gone back to the UK, it seems about right.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I realise it is hard to find work here, but if you are retired you don’t need a good pension, a state pension and some savings behind you for major problems is sufficient.

Once you have made the move, it is cheaper to live here retired, than in the UK.

The healthcare is better for retired people as the National Health here do not “write off” the elderly. I have experience of having a 90 year old to look after and the care is excellent for the elderly. The Spanish look after the elderly.

I have live here three and a half years and have not met anyone who is not happy yet.

“Tom and Sharon” you seem to want to knock most things about Tenerife, I wonder why you come here on a regular basis at all.

A few years ago I would completely agree with that statement. Now I'm not so sure. Electricity, Water, Gas is now on a par with the UK, (Ok agree you don't use as much) Petrol,Diesel is catching up rapidly. Electronic goods now higher than the UK. Community fees now very close to council tax. And if you need social help you do get it in the UK,,nothing or next to nothing in Tenerife. With regard to health services neither myself or my family have ever had any problems with the NHS, and always had top notch service.

Tom & Sharon
24-04-2014, 19:04

The article in the Daily Mail is not "rubbish". It is based on Spanish statistical facts.

I never offered an opinion, I merely put on a link to the article and said "discuss". Very much the format, as was, in my "O" Level English Language paper.

So, your argument is?

As for your comment that we "knock most things Tenerife", you have obviously not read through our 4,000 posts on both this, and the old forum.

Are you sure you're happy? You don't sound it!

warbey
24-04-2014, 19:52

This is some Figures which cover many different sets of circumstances.

We have all cringed reading some Posts where People are coming to Tenerife.

I seem to remember One where the Poster wasn't sure whar Language was spoken..
Result, back to U.K. Skint.

funnily enough, very few Post Their goodbyes....??

There are others who worked hard but couldn't make ends meet with such as Bars and Cafes.
because the Rent was too high and not enough Customers.

Others perhaps separated and went Home as the best alternative.

I would personally have liked to be able to afford a Home at Both Locations, which I believe is Ideal

but a Holiday Destination is a Romantic Idea rather than a commonsense One.

bonitatime
25-04-2014, 09:04
I haven't read the article but the figure doesn't surprise me
I would have said one in 4 have always gone home but right now there are less replacements.
Retired people come to live a dream which reality is not here. You need to be more self sufficient to live here although it is much easier now than 30 years ago. Health worries and a partner dying are often reasons they go home
Interestingly they say the people going home are not as happy as the ones who stay that's a grass is greener concept

Mia
25-04-2014, 15:32
The article in the Daily Mail is not "rubbish". It is based on Spanish statistical facts.

I never offered an opinion, I merely put on a link to the article and said "discuss". Very much the format, as was, in my "O" Level English Language paper.

So, your argument is?

As for your comment that we "knock most things Tenerife", you have obviously not read through our 4,000 posts on both this, and the old forum.

Are you sure you're happy? You don't sound it!

I am extremely happy. I do not understand why my comments sound like I am not happy.

I have cut all my ties to the UK and would not go back to the UK even for a visit.

kiwiphil
25-04-2014, 16:18
Just logged on ....

"It looks like you've not posted in a while. We don't bite, and by contributing to a thread or replying to a question, you help keep our thriving community interesting and vibrant for all."

LOL... this needs a re-write I think .... "We snipe, poke fun, seldom offer useful information, and ensure every thread degenerates into an argument. Please participate to ensure our advertising revenue remains at desired levels". A bit closer maybe?

TenerifeTeddy
25-04-2014, 16:24
Since we arrived in 2005 we have seen people come and go in large numbers of all nationalities.

IMO living here and making a go of it requires a lot of effort, a bit of luck and a lot of persistence. We have seen some arrive to stay here forever, only to return before their boxes have even arrived.
Sometimes it is circumstances; family health issues, bereavements, lack of work or resources etc, and that is very sad for them.

However sometimes it is just because people run at the first hurdle. They don't have enough grit and determination to make it work. If we had done that we would have lasted 2 weeks, when our shop flooded with 6 inches of water all the way through it, from a storm, and a large leak in the terrace above!! :) However we stuck it out and several floods and other sundry mishaps later we are still here. We really enjoy it here, there are many frustrations, and it is definitely more expensive to live here than it used to be, but we don't want to be anywhere else. :)

Hepa
25-04-2014, 18:28
I don't live on the island of Tenerife, but I can see it from my garden, so I think I can comment. I first arrived in the Canary islands in 1962, on a oil tanker from Trinidad, with a cargo for Las Palmas, and that was the start of my long relationship with this beautiful archipelago.

I am now a retired old git, I live with Bosslady, on the island of El Hierro, having lived here for many years, we are very content, home is here, not in the grey clouds of Northern Europe. One small thing that makes the D.M. article flawed, is that the Spanish figures are from those foreigners registered on the various local padron registers, which have recently been upgraded, the councils having made house checks where Ex-pats have lived, this is because when ex-pats do leave the majority forget to de-register on the padron and at the foreigners office. Therefor the figures will seem inflated because this year has counted the ex-pats that failed to de-register in previous years.

There are those people that should never walk outside their U.K./German front door, let alone emigrate to another country, for years I worked on immigrant ships to the Antipodes, you could easily tell which of the 10 pound P.O.M.S. would settle in Australia or New Zealand, and those that would return to the U.K. at the first opportunity.

Me, I stay here, and when I run out of tea bags and socks, a 45 minute flight to Gran Canaria or Tenerife, enjoy the hustle and bustle, practice my English, and return laden with goodies to the the tranquility of the Meridian Island of El Hierro

timmylish
26-04-2014, 01:33
Hepa. Thanks for an uplifting posting! Much overdue.

dede
26-04-2014, 09:36
We moved back to the uk last year, I have no regrets that I spent 10years living in Tenerife and I enjoyed my life there but life is so much easier and interesting in the uk. It's made me realise that the sunshine is not the be all and end all to life. We have so many things to do here and the countryside is second to none and I find I appreciate it so much more rather than the Barron views of Tenerife. We both got well paid jobs when we returned and have a lot more money now. So for me life is so much better now living in the uk.

Ps. I'm amazed at how many more of our friends have moved back since we have, people I would never have thought would.

essexeddie
26-04-2014, 19:05
We are in the enviable position where we have both a place in UK and Tenerife and can afford both. We love both places for different reasons. We can go back and forth as we please. There are both good and bad in both.
To us its Tenerife in the winter and the UK in the summer. Great.

Tom & Sharon
26-04-2014, 22:42
We are in the enviable position where we have both a place in UK and Tenerife and can afford both. We love both places for different reasons. We can go back and forth as we please. There are both good and bad in both.
To us its Tenerife in the winter and the UK in the summer. Great.

Same for us Eddie, but if you could only afford one, and you had to give the other up, which would you choose?

Red Devil
26-04-2014, 23:54
Same for us Eddie, but if you could only afford one, and you had to give the other up, which would you choose?

We are in the same position but dont possibly know which we would give up - I love Tenerife for the winter months but not bothered about being there July/August and then I love England in summer.

primrose
27-04-2014, 00:01
So all that have a home in both the UK and Tenerife where are you classed as Resident?and if it's the UK then you have your answer.

Skeggy
27-04-2014, 08:35
You can rely on Primrose to tell it as it is........

Jabba43
27-04-2014, 08:48
I think mainly it comes down to money for people of a non pension age, without it life can be a misery. If you have money then the rest of home is in your head. Having lived many places, in many different countries from a young age it is second nature for me to be somewhere else but now we have a family I appreciate stability. For us it is one house at home and one here. For sure this is the best model until you are absolutely sure you want to get rid of one of them.

One thing I did learn from travelling, when you start to bitch about a place all the time it is time to leave. That said the people who moan about being here would probably moan at home too, they are unhappy in themselves and use their predicament to blame their own lack of inner peace.

Start looking at the blue sky, the lapping waves, the volcano, the palm trees, the cheap beer, the cheap diesel, the lack of central heating and be happy for what you have. Millions would bite your arm off for a chance.

Angusjim
27-04-2014, 09:23
We did own an apartment in Tenerife a few years ago with the idea of coming out to stay in retirement but we decided against it and sold up as we thought that Tenerife to stay full time would be a bit of a bore after the great weather thing wore off. Other than the weather what does it really have to offer ? We will visit more and for longer as I start to wind down in a few years time but for us home will always be where your heart is and that for us is good old bonny Scotland.

princessmonika
27-04-2014, 09:28
yes , if you have a place in both countries then it is a good life -- love tenerife ---but summer ireland is a green tonic

Jabba43
27-04-2014, 09:43
We did own an apartment in Tenerife a few years ago with the idea of coming out to stay in retirement but we decided against it and sold up as we thought that Tenerife to stay full time would be a bit of a bore after the great weather thing wore off. Other than the weather what does it really have to offer ? We will visit more and for longer as I start to wind down in a few years time but for us home will always be where your heart is and that for us is good old bonny Scotland.

My parents spend 95% of their time at home. What does that have to offer? Sainsbury's, high street and home again. They sit in the garden and go for an occasional meal in a restaurant. For most people this is life coupled with TV in the evenings. My dad is not sociable and is Jonny no mates :)

Most people live their life in a 5 square mile bubble. What else does Tenerife have apart from the weather? Maybe you should try somewhere else if that your opinion of the place.

How about beaches, scenery, a capital city, good infrastructure, iceland, cheap booze, cheap petrol, other islands nearby, another continent near by, good connections to the rest of europe, windsurfing, surfing, diving, dolphin watching, tapas, weird vegetation, amazing stars at night, sunsets and could go on.

Happiness is in your head, the rest is up to you to open your eyes and see what is around you.

princessmonika
27-04-2014, 09:50
jabba 43 ,well said you are totally right :sunburn::cheers2:

Angusjim
27-04-2014, 10:02
My parents spend 95% of their time at home. What does that have to offer? Sainsbury's, high street and home again. They sit in the garden and go for an occasional meal in a restaurant. For most people this is life coupled with TV in the evenings. My dad is not sociable and is Jonny no mates :)

Most people live their life in a 5 square mile bubble. What else does Tenerife have apart from the weather? Maybe you should try somewhere else if that your opinion of the place.

How about beaches, scenery, a capital city, good infrastructure, iceland, cheap booze, cheap petrol, other islands nearby, another continent near by, good connections to the rest of europe, windsurfing, surfing, diving, dolphin watching, tapas, weird vegetation, amazing stars at night, sunsets and could go on.

Happiness is in your head, the rest is up to you to open your eyes and see what is around you.

You are correct happiness is in your head we just did not think we could find happiness in Tenerife, we do love coming to Tenerife and as I say we will come more and for longer as I wind down. I am loving your thoughts on Iceland being an attraction:lol::c2:

karinagal
27-04-2014, 10:06
I have a foot in either camp but am resident in the UK.. I'm fortunate to be able to spend about 20 weeks a year in Tenerife - not easy when you're still working!! :) I have quite a few years before I retire (unless I win the lottery..) but as it stands, I think I will go down the swallow route and split my time between the two..

Jabba43
27-04-2014, 10:09
You are correct happiness is in your head we just did not think we could find happiness in Tenerife, we do love coming to Tenerife and as I say we will come more and for longer as I wind down. I am loving your thoughts on Iceland being an attraction:lol::c2:

Heh, just thought I would drop that one in British food is important for a lot of people. I do not eat too much processed food, only go there for milk, curries and bangers.

Heh, just thought I would drop that one in British food is important for a lot of people. I do not eat too much processed food, only go there for milk, curries and bangers.

Angusjim
27-04-2014, 10:12

I heard you the first time I said I heard you the first time:laugh:

Jabba43
27-04-2014, 10:16
damn echo in here.

LUCKY
27-04-2014, 10:19
Quack .......................

Angusjim
27-04-2014, 10:21
Quack .......................
You are quackers:laugh:

primrose
27-04-2014, 10:33

I have read both of your last posts and in both you don't refer to Tenerife as home, always Tenerife and Home,and as for your reasons that Tenerife is the better place,you go on to talk about beaches, a capital city, good infrastructure? other Islands nearby,good connections to the rest of Europe,cheap booze and last but not least let's not forget Iceland, can you not find that in the UK.Until you actually live in the place you holiday in then you can't possibly know what it is like to live there and until you give up your rights to the benefits of living in the UK and have to rely on the Spanish System then you really have no idea. I live in Tenerife because I want to but I am not blind to it's faults of which there are many, it's not paradise and for some it can be hell on earth.

Red Devil
27-04-2014, 10:35
So all that have a home in both the UK and Tenerife where are you classed as Resident?and if it's the UK then you have your answer.
Yes but the question from Tom & Sharon was asking which one I would choose if I had to and I think the answer would be Tenerife.

Jabba43
27-04-2014, 10:49
I have read both of your last posts and in both you don't refer to Tenerife as home, always Tenerife and Home,and as for your reasons that Tenerife is the better place,you go on to talk about beaches, a capital city, good infrastructure? other Islands nearby,good connections to the rest of Europe,cheap booze and last but not least let's not forget Iceland, can you not find that in the UK.Until you actually live in the place you holiday in then you can't possibly know what it is like to live there and until you give up your rights to the benefits of living in the UK and have to rely on the Spanish System then you really have no idea. I live in Tenerife because I want to but I am not blind to it's faults of which there are many, it's not paradise and for some it can be hell on earth.

Dealing with any government body is a pain in any country. Our business has to deal with them in several jurisdictions and I have a good idea of how government works. One thing in common, they are ALL TERRIBLE. BTW I do not live in the UK, I live in Prague and government is just as difficult there as anywhere else. Actually banana republics can be easier to get stuff done than in the UK if you know the right people. You just need to know how to work the system.

I keep a minimal contact with the state and do not rely on them for anything. Perhaps you are in need them more than me.

As for home, I would like to live here but my wife does not, she is the boss lady :)

essexeddie
27-04-2014, 16:36

If there was a choice then Tenerife would have to go. We could still visit.
If we didn't have Tenerife I would consider taking and leaving a large caravan down to the south of Spain. Then just drive down in the car every winter. When we had had enough just leave it there and they can dispose of it.

warbey
27-04-2014, 19:06
According to this new study, one in four British ex-pats have quit Spain in the last year.

It says people who re-locate are less happy than ones who stay put?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2610777/How-life-sun-spell-misery-Ex-pats-Med-happy-moved-way.html

Discuss..........

This is an interesting Discussion but I thought I'd remind You of the Original question

Most remember Their Oridins but don't stay there,m and Morrisons for One is Asda for another within the 5 mile square.

To love a Place You need to know it's faults, wherever it may be.

I personally would love to see what I could grow. Tenerife has many Beautiful Plants
and shades and colours of Flowers, yet Few mention that fact.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder but it can't feed You.