PDA

View Full Version : Relocation What restrictions are there for moving a business from the UK to Tenerife?

Lily-Anne
27-04-2014, 16:35
Hi all,

Newbie, so be gentle :wave:

I run a coaching business in the UK with my husband, following a brush with cancer we've been thinking about winding down a little, we travel to Tenerife on average four times a year and know the Island relatively well.

However we still need to earn a living. Does anyone here have experience of moving a UK busy, are there any restrictions, and how long did it take to establish?

Many Thanks

LA

doreen
27-04-2014, 20:53
Hi Lily-Anne - welcome to the Forum.

Do you mean move your Coaching Business to the island to coach locals rather than just manage your current clients by phone ?

sundownersvince
27-04-2014, 21:02
David Moyes is looking for a coaching job. He comes with glowing references, and a red face to match. :eyebrows:

Lily-Anne
28-04-2014, 16:23
Not quite that sort of coaching lol, life and business not really his thing.

Moving as in building up a clientele base on the island. At the moment we are thinking Skype for current clients, plus we will have to return to the UK fairly regularly, most of the business experience I read about is running bars but there must be other businesses like accountants etc? Trying to get a view as a resident is very different to holiday mode.

LA

doreen
28-04-2014, 17:08
Not many ex pat professionals operating here, I am afraid. Life in the South is heavily tourism based, and the North is seriously struggling under the Recession/Crisis.

CIM
29-04-2014, 12:29
Moving here and tele-commuting is one thing, relying on residents of the island for a business income is quite another! I would concentrate firmly on building your UK client base over building a client base here. Residents dont want to pay much for anything and rarely value professional services. Price point seems to be the over riding criteria here when it comes to choosing anything and personally I wouldnt build any business around the ex-pat population.

kiwiphil
29-04-2014, 15:24
Commuting is easily viable. I return to the UK for every third week and my flights average around 150e return. You need to be booking well in advance and also be able to avoid the peak periods like easter, summer holidays and Christmas.

Jabba43
30-04-2014, 20:59
If you can keep and gain more UK clients that is the way to go. Web based businesses are the best way to make money and have a life in Tenerife. I work part of the year here and do all stuff via the web. So here or at home, makes no difference, the only prob is when my kids start school.

kingbaker
30-04-2014, 21:43
Moving here and tele-commuting is one thing, relying on residents of the island for a business income is quite another! I would concentrate firmly on building your UK client base over building a client base here. Residents dont want to pay much for anything and rarely value professional services. Price point seems to be the over riding criteria here when it comes to choosing anything and personally I wouldnt build any business around the ex-pat population.

Excellent post CIM and especially the last three lines.;)

The first fourteen were excellent as well.;)

KirstyJay
04-05-2014, 00:23
Moving here and tele-commuting is one thing, relying on residents of the island for a business income is quite another! I would concentrate firmly on building your UK client base over building a client base here. Residents dont want to pay much for anything and rarely value professional services. Price point seems to be the over riding criteria here when it comes to choosing anything and personally I wouldnt build any business around the ex-pat population.Well said that man! ;)