PDA

View Full Version : I've just heard about the Aixam cars

LUCKY
27-04-2014, 20:14
Just heard about Aixum . news travels slowly here at Lower GDS.

http://www.aixam.co.uk/en/the-sunday-times-review

sundownersvince
27-04-2014, 20:29
Technical Specs are interesting. 4hp and max speed 45kph. Hmmmm, and if I sit in it with a bag of shopping from Mercadona on the other seat I have already exceeded the GVW. :laugh:
Think I'll settle for a Chinese motor bike.

LUCKY
27-04-2014, 20:34
Technical Specs are interesting. 4hp and max speed 45kph. Hmmmm, and if I sit in it with a bag of shopping from Mercadona on the other seat I have already exceeded the GVW. :laugh:
Think I'll settle for a Chinese motor bike.

Seems odd that it can be driven on a motorcycle licence :moped::flatcap:

sundownersvince
27-04-2014, 20:43
A stable but slow Reliant Robin then.

LUCKY
27-04-2014, 21:46
A stable but slow Reliant Robin then.

Correcto are you a Mechanic, The stig or a Car salesman :flatcap:

★★★★☆
WRITE A REVIEW
“The real beauty of the Aixam 500 is that it can be...”

Written on: 26/06/2004 by Bertie (27 reviews written)

Good Points
Around 85 MPG around town.

Automatic transmission.

Rustless body and chassis.

Light, positive steering.

Minimal tyre wear.

Easy to park in a restricted space.

Has 4 seats.

Bad Points
Noisy, but later cars have improved sound-proofing.

Despite the fuel pre-heater, can be difficult to start in very cold weather when parked outside.

Drive belt needs replacing at around 10,000 miles but not a very expensive job.

General Comments
The real beauty of the Aixam 500 is that it can be driven on a full motorcycle licence. Maintenance is minimal and a quick wash only is needed to keep the vehicle clean and no polishing is needed.

Due to the size of the engine, the top speed is just over 60 MPH and performance is adequate for non-motorway roads and more than adequate for 'local' runs. This is NOT a motorway cruiser!

On a long run, about 110 MPG can be achieved even when driven foot down. Stiff hills around the 1 in 6 or 7 variety will limit the speed to about 30 to 35 MPH with a passenger aboard.

The rear seats are more suited to children as the leg-room is restricted. The back-rest can be folded forward and the parcel shelf removed to provide a decent luggage space. There isn't much space when the rear seat is in use but is adequate for the average shopping trip.

Plenty of room for the driver and front passenger and the automatic transmission makes for a relaxing drive as does the electrically operated windows. The noise level inside the car is a lot higher than normal but can be counteracted by turning the stereo up!

Treated as an extremely economical local or semi-local runabout that can be driven on a motorbike licence, this car is unbeatable. It probably sealed the fate of the Robin Reliant.

sundownersvince
27-04-2014, 23:28
I used to know a nutter from Humberside a while ago, only had a bike licence so he thought this would be ideal for the cold winter weather. It kept him warm alright, pushing it to the nearest hill to get it started...... :lol: