PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork I need advice about IBI, Rates, Fees and other confusing things!

KittyHills
28-04-2014, 12:25
Hello,
I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some advice (pretty please!!). My dad was living in an apartment in Tenerife but he passed away in January 2013. Which means my sister and I have inherited his apartment. We paid the horrible inheritance tax but we've unintentionally buried our heads in the sand about everything else and so I've taken charge on trying to get it all sorted.

Neither of us live out in Tenerife or speak any Spanish so it is all a bit of a nightmare.

I Google translated some little notices about payment of my dad's IBI, it looks like it is overdue, we haven't changed over ownership or anything, we assumed our solicitor would have done that but clearly not. I found a phone number to call the Consorcio De Tributos in Los Cristianos but the person I spoke to didn't speak English. Does anyone know a number I can call to speak to someone in English to get the matter sorted? I have a friend over in Tenerife who is there for the next couple of days who could visit the Cultural Centre to pick up forms etc, but I'm not sure what I'd need. Is there a way of sorting it all without having to fly over to Tenerife as neither of us can fly over at the moment?

All advice welcome! Thank you.

Malteser Monkey
28-04-2014, 12:29
So sorry for your loss - it's a difficult time coming to terms with loss let alone all the financial side of things

Anyway you are in the right place - sit tight someone be along soon. Plenty of people in "the know" on here

:welcome:

mike in chayofa
28-04-2014, 12:46
If it is just IBI that you need sorting, you can go to the cultural centre (upstairs for the IBI office) and take a previous years bill. They will tell you how much is due.

If there is the possibility of other taxes etc due, you are better off seeking professional help

Forum member Diana McGlone has a brilliant website to give you background information. Then contact her to sort it out.

http://www.diana-mcglone.com/

KittyHills
28-04-2014, 12:53
Thank you :) Luckily me & my sister have each other to stress over these things with!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -
Mike, I'm afraid I don't have a previous years bills as I haven't got all my dad's paperwork and I'm not able to get to the cultural centre. I can send my friend but she won't have the bill to take either. Do you know if there will be people there who speak English and can give my friend any documents she might need?

chifleta
28-04-2014, 14:07
The IBI office can probably tell you from the property address and your dads name if his name was on there. If there is no-one waiting, speak to the person at the desk at the bottom of the spiral staircase, there used to be a lovely man working there, he will print of the bills that need paying, that way you don't have to queue upstairs (or your friend, i should say).

If they are very late, you'll more than likely have a 20% surcharge on top. Don't worry too much, if things haven't changed over the last few years, I doubt they've upped the surcharge.

Good luck, and sorry about your dad :(

candy2411
28-04-2014, 14:12
sorry for your loss and wish you luck in finalising things. My experience of the IBI section of the Cultural Centre is that no-one their speaks much English and your friend without relevant paperwork will have a wasted visit. Would suggest you contact as in post #3 , if she can help I'm sure she will . If your friend is happy to make the visit on your behalf maybe she can take a fluent speaker with her to translate.Again person mentioned in post#3 can probably recommend someone.

KittyHills
28-04-2014, 15:34
Thank you everyone for your help and expressions sympathy, it means a lot to me. I contacted Diana and she was very helpful - she told me to speak to the Spanish solicitor we used as she should have dealt with the payment of IBI. So I've chased the Spanish solicitor on this and she said she'll look into it for me. I think I'll use Diana for anything I need doing in Tenerife from now on as she was really helpful to speak to!

Malteser Monkey
28-04-2014, 15:38
excellent ! not a bad lot on here........well most of the time:respect: