PDA

View Full Version : Television Can I get UKTV reception via WIFI whilst in Tenerife?

firemanfoz
01-05-2014, 14:05
Hello folks
Sorry if this is a subject that has already been covered.
I am in Tenerife South for 8 weeks so would like to get British TV in the evening.
The complex I am on loses reception around 7pm.
I have a laptop with a so so WIFI reception can I get TV via this? If so could someone explain how.
I used to have a brain but since retirement it is rapidly disappearing.
Any other suggestions.
Ta
Firemanfoz

delderek
01-05-2014, 14:13
Download a free program called "filmon".

bachcarol
01-05-2014, 16:14
Where in Tenerife are you ?

firemanfoz
01-05-2014, 18:05
Hello
I am in Parque Santiago 3 in Las Americas

TonyLA2
01-05-2014, 18:39
If you are only here for 8 weeks then filmon might just work for you but in the US they are being taken to court and reading about the court case so far it looks to me like come the end of June they will be shut down and then all these people that rely on filmon for British TV are going to be stuck with useless boxes with nothing to watch!

Have a read of this article Aereo is the same as filmon.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/aereo-at-supreme-court-ruling-699937

junglejim
01-05-2014, 18:55
The media boxes wonīt be entirely useless as there is a plethora of streams to choose from , they also can be used to make your ordinary TV "smart" and have access to other legal streams such as Netflix as well as other sites .
WRT original `posterīs query Iīm not sure that a "So So" WIFI source will be able to stream www.filmon.com due to low bandwidth on these systems .

TonyLA2
01-05-2014, 19:19
The media boxes wonīt be entirely useless as there is a plethora of streams to choose from , they also can be used to make your ordinary TV "smart" and have access to other legal streams such as Netflix as well as other sites .
WRT original `posterīs query Iīm not sure that a "So So" WIFI source will be able to stream www.filmon.com due to low bandwidth on these systems .

I know that there are other sources by an enormous number of these xbmc etc use the filmon source to provide the UK TV. I agree about the need for a reasonably steady wifi signal being needed to stream internet TV.

Suzanne
01-05-2014, 19:52
if you are on the parque 3 complex they have uk tv.

karinagal
01-05-2014, 22:02
If you have a tablet device - android or iOS.. - try downloading an app from this site:

http://gappcenter.com/cartoon/index.html

It has a lot of good movies and all the latest episodes of Game of Thrones season 4.. And all for free....

timmylish
02-05-2014, 01:06
Comes to mind one of the many reasons for owning a VPN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firemanfoz
02-05-2014, 12:35
Hello
Thanks for your suggestion, I have downloaded it and it seems to works although I am still playing with it.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hello
Thanks for your suggestion, I have downloaded it and it seems to works although I am still playing with it.

Hello

My Gran used to say 'dumb questions prevent dumb mistakes' so ... what is VPN?

karinagal
02-05-2014, 14:35
Check here: http://vpnuk.info/index.html

It explains what it does. This is the one that Timmylish recommended to me and I've used it for a couple of years now as I'm back and forth between the UK and Tenerife..

junglejim
02-05-2014, 14:51
Hello

Hello

Hello

My Gran used to say 'dumb questions prevent dumb mistakes' so ... what is VPN?

A VPN - Virtual Private Network allows you to mask your ISP address so that providers do not know which country you are in , especially if you are looking to access "Geo-locked " TV programmes such as BBC/ITV or iPlayer- you can usually choose which country you wish to emulate - Timmylish uses his and is extremely happy with it at a reasonable cost .
You can get some free ones that will give you limited access ( www.Tunnelbear.com) each month with an occasional freebie bonus or pay extra .
They also give a degree of security against hackers and some privacy issues .

anegib
02-05-2014, 16:18
I have UK proxy.tv which fingers crossed seems to work fine. Sometimes get buffering but is because have very low internet, up a mountain. They charge 5 GBP per month.

Waiting to hear from JaBBa about fitting a Xbmc box.

spainfinder
08-05-2014, 11:28
what about IPTV with dedicated uk server, no VPN required all you your uk terrestrial channels with epg and 7 catchup 330euro for 1st year an 175 euros there after
much more reliable than xbmc

timmylish
08-05-2014, 23:23
what about IPTV with dedicated uk server, no VPN required all you your uk terrestrial channels with epg and 7 catchup 330euro for 1st year an 175 euros there after
much more reliable than xbmc

You must be kidding. My VPN, as stated by others, works absolutely fantastically and at a fraction of the costs. Just under 6 pm, no contract, just month to month paymentts. If you read the info correctly you will see that you can have multiple users, at the same time and also have access to various other countries such as USA, Germany etc etc. The security offered is great. I can use on line banking with a level of security unobtainable elsewhere, at anything like these costs!
Take above. 330 pa = 27.50 !!!!!
175 pa = 14.58 !!!!!,
Come on use your head.
vpnuk.net

lesbroz
08-05-2014, 23:36
You must be kidding. My VPN, as stated by others, works absolutely fantastically and at a fraction of the costs. Just under 6 pm, no contract, just month to month paymentts. If you read the info correctly you will see that you can have multiple users, at the same time and also have access to various other countries such as USA, Germany etc etc. The security offered is great. I can use on line banking with a level of security unobtainable elsewhere, at anything like these costs!
175 pa = 14.58 !!!!!,
Come on use your head.
vpnuk.net

Timmylish - my hero! Not looked back since his recommendation of VPNUK.

spainfinder
09-05-2014, 08:11
175 pa = 14.58 !!!!!,
Come on use your head.
vpnuk.net

Hi Timmy

I didn't question how good your VPN was , No VPN REQUIRED , ? but iptv service available is much more stable than anything you would get using android, xbmc , pc etc.. including filmon
iptv uses dedicated server which allows a 7 day epg and catchup
each to there own!

timmylish
10-05-2014, 03:18
Are you sure you really understand the workings of a VPN?

spainfinder
10-05-2014, 08:28
Timmy, I don't understand what you mean! I know exactly what VPN is! I am talking about a tv system which doesn't require a VPN anywhere !
You seem very hung up on your VPN provider! I hope you live happily ever after!
This thread is about Uk television reception!
Let me make this clear !
This is not filmon , TV catchup nor is it watched via your PC or apple or android phone , it is not an android box which uses Xbmc . It is a dedicated tv service which offers an alternative to the freesat reception which is no longer available to most people in Europe !
As said before NO VPN required!

delderek
10-05-2014, 11:39
The OP stated he is only in Tenerife for 8 weeks. So anything you need to sign up to or purchase equipment, is not a solution.

JaBBa
10-05-2014, 12:16
The OP stated he is only in Tenerife for 8 weeks. So anything you need to sign up to or purchase equipment, is not a solution.

XBMC box then you can use it in the uk.......happy dayz

delderek
10-05-2014, 18:26
XBMC box then you can use it in the uk.......happy dayz

Fair comment, but why would you, with 2 or 3 hundred channels through Sky.

timmylish
11-05-2014, 01:01
What a strange comment by the O/p hoping that "I live happily ever after". After what? What I,ve gone thru' in my life I do surprise myself, and others, that I still exist to watch all my fav. tv stations in Spain, UK, USA and elsewhere. My happy converts are surely a testament to its values, VPN that is!