PDA

View Full Version : Other Why does everyone seem to have bunches of flowers today?

kathml
04-05-2014, 15:25
What's special about today that there are so many people carrying bunches of flowers ?

macdonald5
04-05-2014, 15:33
What's special about today that there are so many people carrying bunches of flowers ?

Is today not Mothers Day in Tenerife ?

kathml
04-05-2014, 15:35
That would make sense thanks

slodgedad
04-05-2014, 15:52
Today is Mother's Day.

slodgedad
04-05-2014, 15:53
Today is Mother's Day.

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2014, 15:55
Are you absolutely sure about that Slodge ??...:lol:

slodgedad
04-05-2014, 16:01
Yes. Today is Mother's Day in Spain.

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2014, 16:05
Yes. Today is Mother's Day in Spain.

Sorry I was messing with you - you put two original quotes you know what I'm like:crazy:

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 16:41
In Jockland they use bunches of thistles.. Right macdonald5:(:p:eek::confused::cool::)

Malteser Monkey
04-05-2014, 16:42
In Jock:rolleyes:land they use bunches of thistles.. Right macdonald5

and in Yorkshire - bunches of..:feret::feret::feret::feret:? LUCKY

or is it roses from the rose covered cottage:D

anyway back on track - Feliz dia de las Madres a todas Las Madres !

:wine::party4:

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 17:57
It'll be a long cold miserable summer fot those who forgot their mothers and wives. :what::(;)
Just sayin like!!!:cool::(:p:confused:

macdonald5
04-05-2014, 18:20
In Jockland they use bunches of thistles.. Right macdonald5:(:p:eek::confused::cool::)

Naw kingbaker we send bunches of thistles to our Dublinshire friends ??

canarybird
04-05-2014, 18:33
Yes it's Mothers' Day in Spain so if you want to eat out be sure and reserve a table as it's customary for the family to take mom out to lunch or dinner. I know as I was out today to a guachinche for lunch, luckily arriving before the Spanish crowds arrived at their usual time of 2- 2:30 pm. It was a wonderful noisy event with everyone laughing and talking while eating. The noise level rose with the amount of wine served. :)

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 18:56
Hi CB can you tell me whars a guachinche when its at home?:D:p
:(:p;)

seanocelt
04-05-2014, 19:04
http://sunshineandsiestas.com/2014/04/10/guachinche-tenerife/

there ye go

canarybird
04-05-2014, 19:57
That's a pretty good link from seanocelt which explains what is a guachinche. If you live in the Canary Islands going to a guachinche is one of the necessary experiences!
Perhaps you already have without knowing it. I have a book showing the guachinches on Tenerife, with maps and menus as well as average prices. You pay VERY little to eat at a guanchinche and with some of the best local wines!

The one I went to today is just on the outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz, on the way up to La Orotava and it's called "Contenedor y Cuchara" which means "container and spoon", because it's built partially out of a metal container, the view is magnificent on a hill overlooking Puerto with an inner and outer dining area.
Here's a link (http://www.depicoteoportenerife.com/2013/02/guachinche-contenedor-y-cuchara.html)which describes it.

My friend and I had almost the same as I often have when going up there with a group of friends and sharing the dishes between us.

1. tomato salad, which is sliced tomatoes topped with goat cheese, olives, olive oil and herbs.
2. huevos estampidos which is a delicious scramble of eggs, potatoes and chorizo sausage
3. chicken fillets, tender pieces of chicken in caramelized onion and red pepper, with chips
4. homemade tiramisu
5. wine and water

Today we decided to skip the tomato salad and the bill came to €17.90 or €9.00 each plus tip.

If you haven't eaten yet at a guachinche you've been missing out on one of the delights of these Canary Islands. So get moving and ask around for one!

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 20:55
Sounded wonderfull till I read chips. Arragh!!
The rest seemed ok and I'm sure they have a varied menu.
I usually eat in canarian places but I almost equate chips with English (or Irish) Breakfast. Yukk!
I did find a cafe way up the hill in Santa Cruz. It had a roast of pork leg out of the oven and it was secured to the stand that is used with the Serano Ham. Absolutely fab, but I didnt succeed in finding it the followong week. I now bring a satnav with me wherever I go, and save the location. Otherwise I use tapas on cafes or servoce stations. Thanks CB.:p

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

That would make sense thanks
Yeah kathml they wanna live !!:lol::lol::lol:

Megaloo
04-05-2014, 23:16
[QUOTE=canarybird;369048]That's a pretty good link from seanocelt which explains what is a guachinche. If you live in the Canary Islands going to a guachinche is one of the necessary experiences!
Perhaps you already have without knowing it. I have a book showing the guachinches on Tenerife, with maps and menus as well as average prices. You pay VERY little to eat at a guanchinche and with some of the best local wines!

The one I went to today is just on the outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz, on the way up to La Orotava and it's called "Contenedor y Cuchara" which means "container and spoon", because it's built partially out of a metal container, the view is magnificent on a hill overlooking Puerto with an inner and outer dining area.
Here's a link (http://www.depicoteoportenerife.com/2013/02/guachinche-contenedor-y-cuchara.html)which describes it.

My friend and I had almost the same as I often have when going up there with a group of friends and sharing the dishes between us.

1. tomato salad, which is sliced tomatoes topped with goat cheese, olives, olive oil and herbs.
2. huevos estampidos which is a delicious scramble of eggs, potatoes and chorizo sausage
3. chicken fillets, tender pieces of chicken in caramelized onion and red pepper, with chips
4. homemade tiramisu
5. wine and water

Today we decided to skip the tomato salad and the bill came to €17.90 or €9.00 each plus tip.

If you haven't eaten yet at a guachinche you've been missing out on one of the delights of these Canary Islands. So get moving and ask around for one![/QUOT

Making me jealous CB I love it there have not been there for ages

kingbaker
04-05-2014, 23:24
Thanks Megaloo!!!:p

canarybird
05-05-2014, 08:03
Ready to go there any time Megaloo. Just say the word!

They have renovated the exterior and have more tables facing the view down over the hill towards the sea.

Sure plenty of family groups there yesterday. We were lucky to get the last non-reserved table!

seanocelt
05-05-2014, 14:10
anyone know some in the South? Think there is one near Palm Mar, heard of one in Granadilla but google has not helped this time!

Malteser Monkey
05-05-2014, 14:40

Estampidos that made me chuckle not heard that before I've always known them as Revueltos.

Are they called that because of the papas and chorizo ?

canarybird
05-05-2014, 15:44
MM huevos revueltos means scrambled eggs but these are more than that. These are Huevos al Estampido.

Said to be a favourite dish of King Juan Carlos (so someone told me lol) it's made from eggs cooked with potatoes, usually fried as chips, and mixed with powdered paprika (pimiento rojo), sometimes with onions as well and chorizo. I love it when it's well made.....soft and very tasty!
Estampido means "smashed or thrown" as one of it's translations and that's more or less the meaning the locals here have given to it.
Here are a couple of photos I've taken where I've eaten this dish:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Food/Casa-Juana/i-RZBjZHN/0/L/P1180792-L.jpg
Above...as served in Casa Juana, a guachinche in Pto de la Cruz, near the Hotel International, on a side road.
Thanks to Megaloo for introducing me to that one! :)

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Tapas/La-Bodeguita-de-Enfrente-1/i-5gGcL25/0/L/P2052693%20bodeg%2011-L.jpg
As served in La Bodeguita de en Frente, in Cuesta de la Villa.

You can also see a good looking version (http://guachinchesparranderos.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/huevos-al-estampido.html) of how to make them (this one includes onions) on this blog.

Seanocelt....in my 2012 edition of "El Libro de Los Guachinches" there are eleven guachinches listed as being in the south of Tenerife.
One never knows if they are still there but I will do my best to list some of them for you when I get some free time shortly.

Otherwise you can have a look at what comes up if you Google "Guachinches de Tenerife" where you'll get many photos of the food typically served there and perhaps some addresses. Most guachinches are located in the north though because that's where most of the vineyards are located.

Malteser Monkey
05-05-2014, 15:53
Thanks CB looks lovely but a little too much Pimiento Rojo for me, may try that one night tho'

:D

Angusjim
05-05-2014, 15:58
MM huevos revueltos means scrambled eggs but these are more than that. These are Huevos al Estampido.

Said to be a favourite dish of King Juan Carlos (so someone told me lol) it's made from eggs cooked with potatoes, usually fried as chips, and mixed with powdered paprika (pimiento rojo), sometimes with onions as well and chorizo. I love it when it's well made.....soft and very tasty!
Estampido means "smashed or thrown" as one of it's translations and that's more or less the meaning the locals here have given to it.
Here are a couple of photos I've taken where I've eaten this dish:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Food/Casa-Juana/i-RZBjZHN/0/L/P1180792-L.jpg
Above...as served in Casa Juana, a guachinche in Pto de la Cruz, near the Hotel International, on a side road.
Thanks to Megaloo for introducing me to that one! :)

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Tapas/La-Bodeguita-de-Enfrente-1/i-5gGcL25/0/L/P2052693%20bodeg%2011-L.jpg
As served in La Bodeguita de en Frente, in Cuesta de la Villa.

You can also see a good looking version (http://guachinchesparranderos.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/huevos-al-estampido.html) of how to make them (this one includes onions) on this blog.

Seanocelt....in my 2012 edition of "El Libro de Los Guachinches" there are eleven guachinches listed as being in the south of Tenerife.
One never knows if they are still there but I will do my best to list some of them for you when I get some free time shortly.

Otherwise you can have a look at what comes up if you Google "Guachinches de Tenerife" where you'll get many photos of the food typically served there and perhaps some addresses. Most guachinches are located in the north though because that's where most of the vineyards are located.

CB whilst I normally love looking at your pictures & descriptions of food not good on a fasting day :crazy::crying2:

canarybird
05-05-2014, 16:18
Sorry about that Angus Jim :).

Seanocelt here are a couple of links that show some places in the south:

http://www.depicoteoportenerife.com/search?q=Arona

http://www.depicoteoportenerife.com/search/label/comer%20en%20el%20sur